Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD: My new favorite is Satu’li, based on a terrific meal and experience last Marathon weekend. My old favorite, though, is definitely Cosmic Ray’s. It holds a special place in my heart because of wonderful memories of taking our sons there as children. I have a great picture of our older son staring in wonder at Sonny Eclipse. (Same son—now a musician—and his girlfriend, will be joining us this Marathon weekend to run their first ever half marathons!)

Let’s keep it simple: what’s your favorite counter service restaurant?
It’s too hard to choose just one:
  • Satu’li Canteen (Chili-Spiced Crispy Fried Tofu Bowls!)
  • La Cantina de San Angel (Empanadas con Queso and Margaritas!)
  • Boulangerie Patisserie les Halles (Brie Aux Pommes and Macarons!)
  • Pecos Bill’s (Fixin’s Bar!)
  • Woody’s Lunch Box (Vegetarian Totchos!)

Happy weekend all! Hope your training runs go well!

MK: Pecos Bills (really the old one with burgers, but we do enjoy the new menu too - it’s kind of our tradition to go there as our first CS!)

Epcot: I love this simple jambon sandwich at Les Halles, but also torn with Tangierine Cafe

AK: Flametree! Another place we always visit - love sitting in a quiet water front spot waaaaay in the back!

DHS: Ummmmmmmm......we sort of like Pizzerizo a few times, but is that gone now? Does Baseline Taphouse count?!?

SAFD:

I was shocked (I don’t know why because it’s incredibly well-regarded) at how much I liked Satuuli when we were there in September. It had never worked out for me to try it (we usually do Tusker House lunch), but I thought it was amazing and worked really well for a variety of diets and picky eaters.

I also never miss Les Halles. Pretty sure I could eat the display case there.

I’ll mention Storybook Treats as well because it has my beloved Peter Pan Float. I like pineapple, but give me that lime soft serve and Sprite all day.

There are so many that others have mentioned and so many more I’d like to try if fate allowed.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

Busy weekend for me. Leaving for Milwaukee in an hour and taking a 26.2-mile victory lap tomorrow. So, you all get Sundays are for Disney a day early.

Let’s keep it simple: what’s your favorite counter service restaurant?

My top two are Flame Tree BBQ for the quality of food and Columbia Harbor House for the overall experience.

Have a great week, everyone!
Good luck!

SAFD: The Polite Pig and Wolfgang Puck Express in DS and La Cantina de San Angel - cause nachos!

With construction this does make sense. Probably let us run under ball at the start since the park isn't open yet and move finish like they have here. Makes me wonder if we will also lose the "gospel" choir? I guess they were technically backstage before so they can just move them, but to me one of the cool aspects was they were in a spot that only the runners got to see them.
Oof that would mega suck to lose the choir

Never say never with RunDisney, but I don’t see why they would have to remove the choir. You can set them up pretty much anywhere. All you need is power, microphone and speakers, all of which are highly portable.

Oof that would mega suck to lose the choir

Oddly, I don't mind if we lose the choir. If you go as slow as me, you notice that by the time I get there they look exhausted and bored and that what you actually are hearing is a recording. I am so far back that instead of being inspirational, their half-hearted swaying juxtaposed against a fake soundtrack strike me as another reminder of my slow pace and I just want to be done :) It appreciate the sentiment of it, but it is too much to expect anyone to sing for that many hours. Instead, I would rather have that sarcastic announcer from WWOS who sat told everyone how rough they looked and they still had so far to go...but then again I have a dark sense of humor.

Looking forward to my first marathon at Disney this January. Now that the local race seen is almost over with temperatures dropping I managed to get some good racing in to hopefully be in Corral A with a 1:38 POT it is time to transition in training over to the on course nutrition for Disney. Does anyone know the flavour of Powerade that is generally served? I believe the sport beans are usually the mix flavour pack if I have seen the packaging correctly.

SAFD: satuli canteen and pecos bills (Counter service can be a little sketchy when one is gluten free, these are not sketchy) and these two usually do a great job (and are pretty yummy)
Interesting 🤔 DH is celiac and how WDW handles allergies in general and gluten in particular is one of the reasons he fell in love with it: He feels like he is in real vacation when there, even from his « limitations ». For QS, it is true that we stick to the large places. And Epcot WS is not very good for this because the restaurants are not Disney owned/operated. I am looking forward to bringing him to Satuli Canteen : He has never been to Pandora!

I’ve mentioned it before but I’m not a CS person at WDW. Pretty much the only one you’ll catch me is the one in the Japan pavilion. I prefer to do TS or pack a PB&J sandwich. GE May add to that list. But I’m a picky eater thanks to medical issues so not a lot of places I feel like venturing to.

At least in WDW. DL on the other hand I’ve got about 5 different counter service places I like to eat at. My favorite of which is Bengal Barbeque.

Which I guess suggests I would probably like Flame Tree but I’m usually a sit down person in AK. I like TH and Tiffins a bit too much to venture out.

Oh and I guess if you count the beignets in POFQ as a reason to eat there I do like the cafeteria there for that reason alone.

SAFD: Looking at all the answers, I like ALL the food. Luckily I have no health lumitations, so I can always find something I like on all menus. I have a few favorites though. MK: Pecos Bill’s for the bar, Columbia Harbor House when I can sit on the “bridge,” and Pinocchio Village Haus when I can wave at all the Small World boats! AK: Flame Tree where I can sit in the back and chill. Epcot: Les Halles because of all the pastries or Sunshine’s Seasons because it is inside on a hot day. HS: ABC Commisary, just because selection in HS is lacking and I can’t think of anywhere really good. In all fairness I haven’t tried Woody’s Lunch Box.

Just a reminder that the POT submission deadline is tomorrow (October 8th) for Marathon Weekend. Take a minute and double check your registration:

Go to rundisney.com and click on "Help and Support" in the upper bar with events, training, etc. Then, "Manage Account"

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 5.04.28 PM.png

-Login with your disney username and password.
-Click "Your registrations" in the upper bar on the left.

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 5.06.37 PM.png

-Click on the registration you want to edit:

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 5.07.20 PM.png

-Then scroll through the registration to the POT question. This is where you can update your POT and then be sure to click "Save".

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 5.08.14 PM.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter