• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2020

I need to see my girl Minnie on that full medal and hopefully something cool for goofy since it’s his big anniversary race. The problem for me is that these are race medals for the biggest rundisney event of the year and they look... flat. I hope it’s because it’s a rendering and we aren’t seeing any cool details like sparkly paint or raised designs. That said - not holding my breath and hoping to be surprised tomorrow and through the rest of the week during the reveals.

They look like the cheap medals typically given out at low budget local 5k/10k/half races to me. RunDisney Paris has been knocking it out of the park with some stunning medal designs in recent years while the US RunDisney seems to be seeing how little effort they can put into the designs while phoning it in!

The bling is not what inspires me to do a race, but these are pretty bland. I love the retro look for the shirts, but these just look cheap. It's like they thought, "just get the medals out there, they won't notice the fact that we phoned it in."

Honestly, I find it a little disheartening because while I love Disney, which has always been expensive, this is just another symptom of Disney finding ways to give you less for a higher price. Since I started doing RunDisney a number of years ago, Disney has added so many surcharges and drastically raised so many of the prices on everything that all the little extra charges have added up to a huge total. I guess it makes me a little mad because I love doing these races, but I am pretty sure this will be my last year of being able to afford to do a RunDisney race, which is why I decided to do Dopey this year. So, I had hoped that at least the medals would be cool this year.

I kind of like how they sort of seem old-school Epcot-ish. If that makes sense. Kinda like the 35th anniversary epcot stuff???
I'm holding off on my full opinion until I see all of them and the actual medals with texture/detail.

The goofy one mile is my fave though. Too bad I can't pass for a 12 yr old.

Like lots of others I wish they had waited to "reveal" until they had real photos, because these renderings are of course flat-looking and disappointing. Better to wait until you have the actual objects. I guess if you want to drive up registrations while it's still early so people can feel they can sign up and train...
I signed up for Goofy for the first time instead of only the marathon because A) I wanted to take the pressure off myself to set a time goal, and to just have fun while feeling I accomplished something by covering this "new" distance and B) it's a Goofy anniversary and I was expecting a cool medal. So I hope there is a cool medal.
And runDisney, if you ever come to these discussion boards to gauge reactions to your reveals, hear this: Minnie had BETTER be on that marathon medal after being taken off the 10k. There will be lots of mad Minnie fans out there otherwise.

these renderings are of course flat-looking and disappointing. Better to wait until you have the actual objects.
You would think that if Disney can make 3D movies and CGI rendering of animals they would be able to do a 3D simulation of the medals?!
Minnie had BETTER be on that marathon medal after being taken off the 10k.
Agreed. Maybe they want to compensate for Princess being 100% female by doing MW 100% male?

Agreed. Maybe they want to compensate for Princess being 100% female by doing MW 100% male?

Oh I hope that's not the case. Though if Princess is running out of themes for medal weekends, I am seriously fine with them doing "Prince" medals. I'd race for a chance to get Prince Eric on my medal holder. Flynn Rider, Naveen, and Charming are also invited to the party. :love::rotfl2:

Brief update from Pa: DW continues her training, and it doing great.

I have an MRI of my knee tonight after dinner. To make sure nothing else is going on. Massage last Monday led to huge improvement, but MRI and PT were already scheduled due to lack of progress until then. Will see what they see...

That was a thing? I remember W&D used to be a night race, but wasn't that familiar with the old courses. Running under those lights would've been awesome! Too bad they're gone AND there's no more night races!
We did it in 2015, the last night race. Even talked about it yesterday on the drive back to Pa, and how when we did it, we understood why folks loved it so much. DW got video of running through. When I started down the street, one of the classic Charlie Brown Christmas songs came on. Should've never gotten rid of it. And that race was better at night. The camaraderie upon finishing and heading to party reminded me of an all-night party after a senior prom.

I really don’t get what people want to see with the medals? You’re entitled to your opinion, but it’s just constant complaining every time there’s a release. I don’t think there is anything wrong with these. Pluto is cute, and Oswald has got an interesting color scheme going on. A medal is meant to symbolize and acknowledge an accomplishment, and regardless of what it looks like, it holds the same meaning, doesn’t it? :confused3

It will be interesting to see what these look like in person, since I didn’t expect just artwork. I’m anxious to see the rest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter