Marathon Weekend 2021

SAFD:
Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run at rope drop. It’s so exciting to queue directly after getting a boarding group, and the wall of CMs corralling the line is downright impressive.

Soarin’ queue is nice for the music, plus it’s all indoors, so I enjoy hanging out in that pavilion so long as it isn’t overly long.

Slinky Dog Dash when the sun is down and the weather is mild, because it’s a prelude to riding one of our favorites

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the single rider queue for Smugglers Run made me feel like I was in a maintenance tunnel and about to be stopped and told I was in an unauthorized area.

The first time I went on Smugglers Run, I did the single rider line and a CM told me to turn left at the top of the stairs. Everyone else was going right, but I turned left, went down some boring, abandoned-looking hallway and got right on the ride. Always listen to CMs!

Not SAFD, but a question for my fellow runners: how do you feel about virtual races?

I ran a virtual marathon this spring and I'm seriously considering registering for the virtual NYC marathon. Being registered for a race keeps me motivated and I am guessing the NYC swag won't suck. But, I struggle with a virtual race feeling as "legitimate" as a real race.

When I ran my virtual full this spring, I started at my home and finished near a friend's place. As you might expect, there was no starting line, no finish line, no water stations, no music, no etc. I did have some friends meet me around Mile 13 and Mile 19 and I did have a beer on the course.

But, it largely felt like a long training run. It made me think ... other than the fact that I'm paying for it and getting some swag in the mail, what is the difference between this and every other run? I've run 13.1 miles or more many times while training for fulls, but I don't count those in my half marathon totals. Why? Couldn't I call them "virtual half marathons?"

I guess that's my hang up. Is the only difference between a training run and a "virtual" 5K, 10K, half, or full simply that I paid for that particular day?

I want to be clear: this is not me judging anyone or taking away anyone's accomplishments. Like I said, I've done a virtual full, count it in my official race total and am considering another. But I am curious how everyone feels about virtual races and how you distinguish them from your other runs, considering it seems as if we could be in for as much as a year or more of virtual races.

Not SAFD, but a question for my fellow runners: how do you feel about virtual races?

I ran a virtual marathon this spring and I'm seriously considering registering for the virtual NYC marathon. Being registered for a race keeps me motivated and I am guessing the NYC swag won't suck. But, I struggle with a virtual race feeling as "legitimate" as a real race.

When I ran my virtual full this spring, I started at my home and finished near a friend's place. As you might expect, there was no starting line, no finish line, no water stations, no music, no etc. I did have some friends meet me around Mile 13 and Mile 19 and I did have a beer on the course.

But, it largely felt like a long training run. It made me think ... other than the fact that I'm paying for it and getting some swag in the mail, what is the difference between this and every other run? I've run 13.1 miles or more many times while training for fulls, but I don't count those in my half marathon totals. Why? Couldn't I call them "virtual half marathons?"

I guess that's my hang up. Is the only difference between a training run and a "virtual" 5K, 10K, half, or full simply that I paid for that particular day?

I want to be clear: this is not me judging anyone or taking away anyone's accomplishments. Like I said, I've done a virtual full, count it in my official race total and am considering another. But I am curious how everyone feels about virtual races and how you distinguish them from your other runs, considering it seems as if we could be in for as much as a year or more of virtual races.
I’m considering trying for the NYC virtual myself. I’m just not sure if I want to do the virtual full.

I find virtual races to be completely unsatisfying. I’ve done several of them, mostly half marathons with one full. They don’t feel any different than a routine training run and they bring no more satisfaction than a training run. I look at the medals from them and there’s no emotional connection to them like I have with my live race medals. If virtual races are someone’s jam and it gets them moving, more power to them. I just don’t feel it or get it.

I asked my DW your question about virtual races. She doesn't particularly care for them. The point about a race is getting to an established start line, be on an established course, and an established finish line. She gets to meet new people. She gets to have predetermined water stations and a course roped off, so the scenery changes with every step.

To her, a virtual run is nothing more than a training run. It's just her and her thoughts, with no one else, no water stations, and no change of scenery, as she usually runs on a track or a treadmill. She sarcastically said "nothing says 'I ran a marathon' like running around a track for 105 laps...". It does take a lot of air out of her sails, so to speak.

Broad Street was postponed from the spring to October, and today was turned virtual. She was crazy bummed about that, as she loves that course. Then again, trying to shove 40000 people at one start line during this pandemic is not a good idea, either. We were waiting for a major run to actually start before signing her up for The Philly Marathon, and that's now not going to happen, so she'll just train at her own pace.

She told me today that if Dopey goes virtual or gets cancelled, that she wants to cancel the entire trip altogether. That's going to be more difficult with a rented DVC reservation, so I don't know what to do there. I want to go, anyway, and make the best of what we got, but she is saying Dopey is her raison dêtre for this trip. This wouldn't be our first trip, either; it would be our 5th since Dopey '18. She doesn't want to pay $600 for a virtual Dopey.

She did participate in the SW virtual run, mainly because 5ks are part of the training process, anyway, so it was no more effort on her part, other than a little cash. But if the race is real, she wants to keep it real. If it goes virtual, she'd rather get a refund.

I’m considering trying for the NYC virtual myself. I’m just not sure if I want to do the virtual full.

I'm almost certain I'll sign up. At this stage in my running career, it's full or bust. I don't feel like shelling out my hard earned cash for less. And if I somehow get one of the spots to get a guaranteed entry for 2023, even better. I just need something to do.

I find virtual races to be completely unsatisfying. I’ve done several of them, mostly half marathons with one full. They don’t feel any different than a routine training run and they bring no more satisfaction than a training run. I look at the medals from them and there’s no emotional connection to them like I have with my live race medals. If virtual races are someone’s jam and it gets them moving, more power to them. I just don’t feel it or get it.

I was fortunate that my virtual full fell on a perfect weather day. So that was good. And I have some very supportive friends who made signs, brought me beer, etc. But I finished completely alone on some side street in my town. It was just ... over. Now, I did have more friends a few blocks away (my anticipated finishing spot) who were ready to see me at the end. But ... yeah. It did feel a lot like a training run.

It's hard to get excited about a virtual race. But I've found that I need to sign up for something to motivate myself to go farther than 4-6 miles (with the occasional 8-10 mile run mixed in when I'm feeling guilty about the terrible food I eat).

To her, a virtual run is nothing more than a training run. It's just her and her thoughts, with no one else, no water stations, and no change of scenery, as she usually runs on a track or a treadmill. She sarcastically said "nothing says 'I ran a marathon' like running around a track for 105 laps...". It does take a lot of air out of her sails, so to speak.

There's no chance I run a full on a track or treadmill. So, at least I get out and see some parts of my town/county that I wouldn't normally see. But it is hard to get excited about it.

@lhermiston yeah to me a virtual race is paying for a medal to do a training run. They have no appeal to me. That being said I did sign up for the virtual Boston. That is because I am afraid field size will shrink in the near future which will keep me out a few years. Plus no actual races to attempt a BQ. i definitely can’t see paying for something less than a half. I just don’t see the point.

Before the pandemic, I was in the camp that virtual races were just a way to buy a medal, and not a real run or race.

I changed my opinion when my motivation for training dipped to almost nothing, and in quiet desperation I signed up for two virtual runs in May and June. They were sponsored by yes.fit (no affiliation). They were long "runs" (85 and 105 miles). What made then interesting and motivating was that you ran (virtually) along a specific route and they had photos and stories of where you "were" after each run. For example the first one I did was a Belgium beer run from Leuven to Brussels to Ghent to Bruges. The route took me past several brewery's and pubs that I have visited. The second was a run around the Ring of Kerry in Ireland. It took about a month to do each one, the medals were fun, and it was motivating to check in after each run and see a map and a 360 degree photo of the spot I stopped at.

Yes, the runs were just my normal training runs I would have (or should have) done anyway, but it helped me get out of the house and into the woods. Although I don't think I would ever do a 5K, 10K, HM or M virtually, each of the longer runs I did was $20 well spent.

Last edited:
Virtual Runs:
Prior to the pandemic I was not very interested in virtual races. It did seem like nothing more than another training run to me. But during this pandemic I have found them to be a means to have a focus point/something to work towards. Additionally there are some fun themed races that provide good swag, and I am a sucker for a good running shirt or medal. However most important the virtual races have provided me with a means to continue racing with my daughter. We have (outside my injury time) tried to run four races a year, one for each season. So far we have run the Bigfoot Social Distance Champion virtual race and in August we are going to run a Forrest Gump themed race called I Just Felt Like Running. I loved the shirt and medal and we have decided to make it a half marathon trail race She is very excited about it and so am I. Even though nothing compares to a real race, For now I am happy to have the virtual option,

I guess I’m glad I’m not the only one struggling with virtual races and not deriving a lot of value from them.

I guess if a virtual races motivates me to run more often/longer, then it’s worth it?

Anything that keeps you motivated to keep running and staying in shape is worth it. Personally, I’m not a fan of virtual races, though I have entered a few to help keep small race directors in business.

Virtual runs:
Add me to the camp of not finding them appealing. I've already run the distances I've signed up for multiple times, I don't need a medal to motivate me to run them again.

Most races I use as an excuse to visit new places, and have a pre-planned, closed route with on course support. Running around my own neighborhood carrying my own liquids and fuel do not fulfill those motivators... The only virtual races I did not defer were ones that would either keep me eligible for a challenge or are a small event that I want to help survive this year.

Anything that keeps you motivated to keep running and staying in shape is worth it. Personally, I’m not a fan of virtual races, though I have entered a few to help keep small race directors in business.

I don’t think NYC needs my support to stay in business, but I feel like if I shell out the fee,0 it’ll motivate me to get 26.2 in? The window for running the virtual race includes my birthday, so I’m thinking of doing that.

Honestly, I just miss running races.

Last edited:
Overall, I'm not a fan of virtual races. I typically do 5k and 10k distances as normal runs, so there's really no value in doing those distances, unless I really like the medal (I did a virtual 5k for the 50th anniversary of the Moon Landing because I liked the shirt, and the Disney virtual series because of the medals). I could see doing a virtual half or full just to challenge myself and keep myself motivated at this point.

The one exception I'd say would be the virtual marathon relays that some of us did earlier this year. I did enjoy those. It was a great way to cheer each other on, and having my time contributing to the team, I definitely pushed myself harder than I would have normally done on a solo virtual run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter