Marathon Weekend 2021

I was supposed to be on a flight to Orlando right now. 😭

I've been doing something similar all week. As I mentioned above, I did not race last year but my wife and good friend did. So I've been saying 'this time last year we were on our way to Orlando' or 'we were at ESPN getting the race packages and then to Epcot for half a day', etc. Today they would have been doing the 5k. They were done and back before the kids and I even woke up. I think after this year it is just such a happy memory to look back on for 2020. Our friend missed out signing up for the Dopey this year, but he was able to sign up for the full. We weren't going to be there, but were going to cheer him on from a distance. Maybe 2022...

I've been doing something similar all week. As I mentioned above, I did not race last year but my wife and good friend did. So I've been saying 'this time last year we were on our way to Orlando' or 'we were at ESPN getting the race packages and then to Epcot for half a day', etc. Today they would have been doing the 5k. They were done and back before the kids and I even woke up. I think after this year it is just such a happy memory to look back on for 2020. Our friend missed out signing up for the Dopey this year, but he was able to sign up for the full. We weren't going to be there, but were going to cheer him on from a distance. Maybe 2022...

It's so hard not being there! I'm so bummed. I didn't think I'd be as bummed out as I am. My friend was supposed to fly out from LA last night and we were all meeting at MCO. Ughhhh. February will be a lot of reminiscing of Princess 2020.

Congratulations to all those that ran the "virtual" 5k today!

Although the border is still closed for non-essential travel and they did not officially allow Canadians to take part, I ran the 5k today in snowy Alberta.

Due to the anticipation, excitement and nerves associated with the Marathon Weekend, I went out too quickly. The led to a new PR for me! Garmin states 24:32 for the 5k! I will make sure to slow down for the remaining three days.

I look forward to updates from others that are running this weekend!

Congratulations to all those that ran the "virtual" 5k today!

Although the border is still closed for non-essential travel and they did not officially allow Canadians to take part, I ran the 5k today in snowy Alberta.

View attachment 548722

Due to the anticipation, excitement and nerves associated with the Marathon Weekend, I went out too quickly. The led to a new PR for me! Garmin states 24:32 for the 5k! I will make sure to slow down for the remaining three days.

I look forward to updates from others that are running this weekend!
Dedication! Great job! We're signed up for 5k, but haven't arrived in Orlando yet. Almost there, less than 2 hours to go.

I'll be running my virtual 5K this evening. I'm also registered for the virtual marathon, but after training got derailed, I decided to turn it into a multi day marathon culminating on Saturday. I signed up for the virtual marathon to give me something to work towards. For me a multi day 26.2 over 6 consecutive days is much more likely to keep me upright and healthy than proving to myself that I can run 26.2 when I'm not really close to the level needed for the marathon.

I, for one, was rather pliable at that point.
Another fond memory from that came after our big group picture with Goofy by International Gateway. As the photographer is scanning all of our MagicBands, Goofy decided to join in on the fun and have the photographer scan his wrist as well. One of those small moments of Disney magic if only because it's a perfectly in character thing for Goofy to do.

Ran my 5K this morning. I decided to go with a 6:30 start. I watched some RezRuns videos while getting ready. Then I played the runDisney playlist and knocked out the 5K. Happy with my effort and am 3/48 of the way done.

Spent the rest of the day a bit sad, too many thoughts of “this time last year I was...”. But am enjoying updates on the thread. If others are running or went to WDW, please share.

Ran my 5K this morning. I decided to go with a 6:30 start. I watched some RezRuns videos while getting ready. Then I played the runDisney playlist and knocked out the 5K. Happy with my effort and am 3/48 of the way done.

Spent the rest of the day a bit sad, too many thoughts of “this time last year I was...”. But am enjoying updates on the thread. If others are running or went to WDW, please share.
Gerald (RezRuns) is one of the best out there... his videos are awesome, uplifting and fun. And he's just an awesome guy that i can luckily call a friend... it was his videos that initially got me running Disney

Yeah his videos are great. I saw him at the Marathon last year. It was like seeing a celebrity. I said hello and wished him and the other runner with him a good run. He was super friendly and wished me well also.
Yup, that's Gerald. I wish i was more like him, because he's very positive and is now faster than me even with his stops to setup his camera... lol, i got slower and fatter, which might be good that this weekend got cancelled. i finished my Dopey yesterday but it was my worst marathon time... far from my 4 hours two years ago. sigh

This quote was everything I needed right now. I rewatched it just to make sure I heard him correctly! Of course, not a guarantee, but a sign of hope. It sounds ridiculous but the excitement of signing up for my first marathon during the 2022 marathon weekend is what’s keeping me going right now.
You are not alone! I legit cried when I watched the video. I've mostly convinced myself that rD is done-for, never coming back in the way it once was - just out of self-preservation because I can't handle any more let downs. But yeah, that video gave me a LOT of hope that rD is planning to come back and deliver in-person races.

Favorite MW memories...

This is hard - there are so many! Obviously foremost are all of the fun times I've had with friends over the years. I can maybe single out a favorite year in 2018: I hated the cold weather, but had a basically perfect Dopey experience outside of that - enjoyed the heck out of all four races, no illness or injuries, and bagged a big marathon PR. I don't know if the perfection of that year can ever be replicated.

I'll also single out MW2012. I knew nothing of rD races, but an old friend was running the half and I drove over to DHS to visit with her the day after. I'll never forget seeing the tail end of the marathoners going down Hollywood Blvd and realizing they looked like REAL people, not elite professionals. I just never knew average recreational runners did races! The next day, I signed myself and my son up for the PHM 5K the following month, and the rest is history.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter