Marathon Weekend 2022

For anyone that is coming down from an EZpass state and has one a few pages back it was confirmed that the Orlando toll roads are now EZpass compatible. I'm just grabbing mine from my car when I park at the airport.

You guys have me convinced that if the temps don't drop I'm going out at 3:15 and will speed up later if I can. At the end of the day I don't really care about the time as long as it is a BQ with enough cushion to get in. 3:10, 3:13, 3:15, as long as I'm in for 2023 I'm happy.

My last double digit run was last night and it was 12 with the middle 8 at M pace. I still used 7:15 as that pace and felt great, actually ended up a few seconds faster. All easy runs now other than one more day of 400m repeats at 5k pace.

Thanks for the info and new line of thought guys.

Last edited:
You won’t freeze. If you do want to wear throw away clothes, buy some super cheap sweats on sale at Target or Wal Mart or other big box store. Disney will collect and then donate them after the race.
I am the person that is always cold. 2+ hours in low 50s in a tank top and shorts would be me shivering for 2+ hours. I'd be fine once the running started, but not during the waiting. Donate-able layers for the corral will definitely be the plan.

OK so I'm hawking the weather (because I'm packing tomorrow) and I have a question about the low temp as correlates to the next day.

So, where *I* live (and this may be true for other places, but IDK because I've never paid attention) when it says, for example on my weather app for Lake Buena Vista:

Thursday 79/57
Friday 68/54
Saturday 73/48
Sunday 81/57
excuse me?? 48 on Saturday?! (also, 3 different apps have pretty different forecasts for next weekend at this point)

That LOW temperature is what usually occurs FIRST THING IN THE MORNING, right? Generally at the midnight-4am? As in, when we would be standing around in the corrals?
You can also use weather underground hourly forecasts. https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/fl/lake-buena-vista/date/2022-01-09 will show marathon day weather.

I've been excited all year for this race weekend, but the recent variant outbreak has made me a little more hesitant. Wanting to stay healthy for the race and not wanting to have family exposed. Because the current variant is so contagious, I’ve been making decisions to be more cautions here at home (like I haven't been training at the gym for the past week or so, just running outside or at home.) I thought I had already done a good job planning my WDW trip to be extra cautions (like wearing N95 or KN95 masks, etc.) But today I had the thought to review my plans to see what parts would make me feel the most uneasy. For me the thought of riding on the resort buses, crammed in together, early in the morning as the parks opened and late at night as the parks close, really made me feel uncomfortable. Once I realized that I searched the prices of rental cars. When I had looked several months ago, they were pretty pricey for the days I needed. But Now I can get 4 days for well under $200. And while I can’t guarantee I won’t get sick, I know I will feel betting knowing I did all that I could to try and stay healthy.

I've seen mention of some ideas people have had along these lines. I'm just wondering if there are any other tips or tricks you guys are doing to stay EXTRA safe as you visit the parks.
I’ve also rented a car and planning to drive everywhere, including the races if I can figure out road closures! Since I have a car I will also be stopping at a grocery store to get some snacks / meals (I am in a DvC studio so will have a microwave). Cancelled my dining reservations and plan to eat outdoors or get takeout. Cancelled my CA Grill fireworks party reservation (sad). Not going to the parks at all, which is fine since I’ve been a few times already this year. Not going to any of the meetups (again sad, was so hoping to meet people from the Dis and some of the other running groups that are meeting up). I won’t be arriving til Friday afternoon so I am guessing most of the expo merch will be gone and I won’t need to stand in line or fight shopping crowds. So it sounds like a pretty sad trip but I guess if I get to do the half and the marathon that’s the main thing, I can get back to Disney another time soon.

OK so I'm hawking the weather (because I'm packing tomorrow) and I have a question about the low temp as correlates to the next day.

So, where *I* live (and this may be true for other places, but IDK because I've never paid attention) when it says, for example on my weather app for Lake Buena Vista:

Thursday 79/57
Friday 68/54
Saturday 73/48
Sunday 81/57
excuse me?? 48 on Saturday?! (also, 3 different apps have pretty different forecasts for next weekend at this point)

That LOW temperature is what usually occurs FIRST THING IN THE MORNING, right? Generally at the midnight-4am? As in, when we would be standing around in the corrals?
Yes. The overnight low is what I'll be planning for as the race start temp, and for the defacto race temp for the 5k and the 10k. It does start warming up as the sun comes up for the half and the full.

So, nice cool (cold for some of us) start to the full and then really toasty around noon.

$3 fleece blankets from Walmart, and whatever cheap sweatpants they have - those are my go-to pre-race (and sometimes the whole cold race lol) throwaways! And yes, anything under 65 is throwaway weather for me. I also have a collection of old rD race shirts that are perfect run-for-a-couple-miles-then-toss items if it’s cool, but not really cold.

Anybody know if there's a bag check area at the expo anywhere? Considering going directly there after landing at MCO rather than making the stop at the hotel first, but I'll be Uber-ing.

I run hot but am miserable standing in anything under 80... I have throwaway layers stockpiled so that's taken care of (Southwest ftw), but I want to give a shout out to the "space blankets" for anyone that is looking for an easy layering option. I got a pack on amazon (and save them after other races) and use them alone/in addition to the layers if it's particularly cold or windy at the start and find that they help a ton. Not sure how they would do in the darkness of the Disney corrals, I think the sun is one of the reasons they can do so well with so little, but it might help? Before they are used once they are really small, so on cold runs when I don't end where I started I put one in my waistband pocket. Just don't start the race wearing one, found out the hard way that they prevent the timing chips from being read so I never got a time for that race!

Speaking of clothing though, in 2020 I had to sign up for Dopey in order to get the 10k and full bibs that I wanted. I still have the half, Goofy, and Dopey shirts (5k must be around somewhere) that I'm not ever going to wear because I didn't do those races. If anyone wants 3 XS shirts I'd love to give them away, assuming I have a way to do that when we're there. I'm staying at Pop.

I feel very lucky in this pandemic that I have no dependents or roommates and a job that was already remote before it started... I'm doing everything possible to reduce my risk before/during, but I'm also packing some extra necessities in case I have to quarantine in Florida afterwards. I had a breakthrough case while I was traveling in August and spent 10 days in a hotel and definitely learned from that.

Does anyone know if you are signed up for Dopey and miss the 5k & 10k, if they will still let you check in on Friday and let you do the half/full (Goofy)?
I can't imagine why they wouldn't, this is a definite yes right? They'll still have your bib at the expo, and you'll be able to do the half and full, giving you the Goofy medal once you finish. You just won't get Dopey. Things happen, sometimes plans change or people don't make it in time to collect their bib on the first day, and especially now, a lot of things are happening.

I have never seen one, but I’ve seen lots of people wheeling luggage around.
Oh, thanks for this. If my flight gets in on time i could get to the expo Thursday, with my luggage! (And yeah my flight could be delayed or canceled, but it also might not. )

Our flight to Orlando has been canceled for the past several days due to weather and Covid staffing. The airline here is telling people it might not be back to normal for another week or so. We were supposed to leave Tuesday morning. However, we already decided not to go. Too many questionable variables. But just as an fyi, I did receive an email from RunDisney this morning. I have been unable to find my waiver and registration, it kept disappearing from my account. They told me that as long as I had my original email registration I would be good.

This morning was excellent weather in central Florida … for standing around in the corrals. That usually doesn’t correlate well to running.
It's funny how one's reaction to the weather truly depend upon your perspective based upon where you live. For me, it would be delightful as it was 66 degrees when the race would have begun and it is currently only 75 degrees at 11:30 am.

It's funny how one's reaction to the weather truly depend upon your perspective based upon where you live. For me, it would be delightful as it was 66 degrees when the race would have begun and it is currently only 75 degrees at 11:30 am.
Yes, this. My last long run was an average of 37 degrees, and cloudy. I'll be miserable if it's 66 degrees at start time! :rotfl2:

$3 fleece blankets from Walmart, and whatever cheap sweatpants they have - those are my go-to pre-race (and sometimes the whole cold race lol) throwaways! And yes, anything under 65 is throwaway weather for me. I also have a collection of old rD race shirts that are perfect run-for-a-couple-miles-then-toss items if it’s cool, but not really cold.
I also get the $3 fleece blankets from Walmart. If it’s windy, I’ll throw a past race’s space blanket over the top.
If it’s really cold, maybe two blankets - one for my too and the other for my legs 😆 (I’m thinking 2017 when the half was canceled and the 5k and 10k were warm and I had extra blankets left over).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter