Marathon Weekend 2022

Keeping an eye on Youtube for MW vid uploads, not sure if anyone is interested in that sort of thing but want to give a shout out to Jar Oxandspoon, who has done a really solid job in the past and posted a vid for the 5k, guessing he'll be posting the other races as he finishes editing. Another account posted *full* vids for the 5k, 10k, and half, using a iPhone XS attached to a gimbal, and the quality is surprisingly good (I used to have the XS and often had trouble with getting good quality in the dark).
Thanks for sharing. I usually end up watching a lot of videos of Marathon Weekend but haven't looked for any yet. I like observing the fun, seeing others' perspective and looking for myself and my spectator family members (why is it fun to see yourself on a video in today's age where everything has video?).

Keeping an eye on Youtube for MW vid uploads, not sure if anyone is interested in that sort of thing but want to give a shout out to Jar Oxandspoon, who has done a really solid job in the past and posted a vid for the 5k, guessing he'll be posting the other races as he finishes editing. Another account posted *full* vids for the 5k, 10k, and half, using a iPhone XS attached to a gimbal, and the quality is surprisingly good (I used to have the XS and often had trouble with getting good quality in the dark).
I've definitely been putting YouTube videos on while I'm folding laundry etc. and have caught a glimpse of myself in no fewer than *3* videos so far! Just a second or so in each, but still. Good thing I wasn't doing anything embarrassing while I didn't know I was on camera :crazy:

I am in awe of the packing expertise of some of you. Who wants to come to my house next January to pack my bags for me?
Packing is like running, practice makes it easier ☺️

Now, does your offer includes the trip and bibs for Dopey 2023? 😉

Packing is like running, practice makes it easier

I like the thought, but I suspect that I might be a lost cause. I have issues on every trip to Florida. Having to pack running gear for Dopey just made it more acute

Now, does your offer includes the trip and bibs for Dopey 2023?

I can't guarantee that, but if anyone wants to do a layover in Buffalo in January on their way to Orlando, I can make that happen.

I thought I was a light packer and was doing good to get my costumes and most of my clothes in one carryon, the rest of my clothes, meds, race gear, etc. in another carryon, and 3 pairs of running shoes in a tote bag.
But apparently that was amateur hour, and I now feel like one of the Three Stooges trying to carry luggage...
Golf clap to the pro's here.

I’m lucky in that
1) I’m a light packer
2) we get to Disney several times a year and as DVC found Owners locker to be a great deal, no more packing toiletries and certain clothes. They are all waiting for us when we get there
Had a backpack with a couple pairs of shoes and running gear and a carry on for Dopey.
Of course this is the trip we ended driving so could’ve brought the kitchen sink but who knew…

I can't believe two weeks ago I was preparing for bed before the half marathon. I want to share a bit of a recap from what my wife and I coined our "Mega Trip."

Jan. 4: Depart PA at 9:33 p.m. for drive to Disney World (we switched from flying to driving due to uncertainties with airline schedules and COVID)
Jan. 5: Arrive at ESPN WWOS at 12:59 p.m.
Jan. 5-7: All-Star Music
Jan. 7-10: Pop Century
Jan. 10-14: Disney Dream cruise with my wife's parents
Jan. 14-16: Port Orleans with my wife's parents, and bringing my mother-in-law to Magic Kingdom for her first-ever visit (at 66ish years old)
Jan. 16-17: Drive from WDW to PA (stopped overnight due to storm; didn't like needing to pay for another night of lodging)

My parents were supposed to join us for Marathon Weekend, but my mom tested positive for COVID the day they were supposed to leave for Florida. So they remained in New York. With the need to test negative to get on the cruise we did not go to parks during Marathon Weekend and generally avoided Disney transportation. It was new for us to have a car at WDW and we took advantage of it, eating mostly outdoor quick service from resorts and Disney Springs. I drove to the races each morning, although I missed the excitement of getting on the buses at 3 a.m. with all of you. With no parks we were able to get to bed between 7:30 and 8 each night, which made getting up at 2:20 a.m. pretty easy.

I need to thank @DopeyBadger for preparing me for the Dopey Challenge. This was my third one and his training plans helped get me ready, and I was healthy entering Dopey for the first time. According to the overall Dopey results compiled and posted by @opusone, I finished in the top 100 out of more than 5,300 Dopey runners. I beat my goal time by nearly 30 minutes! I haven't done a lot of races, but I set PRs in the 5K, 10K and marathon, and my half marathon time was ~5 minutes faster than I was aiming for going in.

We made it through Marathon Weekend without COVID and were able to get on the Dream on the Monday after the marathon, despite the long waits in the corrals. Waiting for your result at the port is a little nerve-wracking! The first full day of the cruise featured a stop at Castaway Cay. Typically, the cruise after Marathon Weekend has an official 5K race put on by RunDisney. However, that did not happen this year. I decided to still do a 5K on the island for completeness and I crossed my personal finish line in 23:11, meaning even adding in the Castaway Cay run I was under the goal time I had set for myself for Dopey. Unbelievable! It shows training pays off.

Our day at the Magic Kingdom with my mother-in-law was great. She isn't the most active person, but she was a trooper. She finished with more than 23,000 steps and went from park open to park close. And she had a great time!

It was an outstanding trip and I really enjoyed Marathon Weekend. I can't wait for my next Dopey. I've never done a standalone marathon, though, and I might do that in 2023 to save some money and vacation days, and maybe return for Dopey in 2024.

Time to search for some videos of Marathon Weekend to relive the excitement and energy!

I can't believe two weeks ago I was preparing for bed before the half marathon. I want to share a bit of a recap from what my wife and I coined our "Mega Trip."

Jan. 4: Depart PA at 9:33 p.m. for drive to Disney World (we switched from flying to driving due to uncertainties with airline schedules and COVID)
Jan. 5: Arrive at ESPN WWOS at 12:59 p.m.
Jan. 5-7: All-Star Music
Jan. 7-10: Pop Century
Jan. 10-14: Disney Dream cruise with my wife's parents
Jan. 14-16: Port Orleans with my wife's parents, and bringing my mother-in-law to Magic Kingdom for her first-ever visit (at 66ish years old)
Jan. 16-17: Drive from WDW to PA (stopped overnight due to storm; didn't like needing to pay for another night of lodging)

My parents were supposed to join us for Marathon Weekend, but my mom tested positive for COVID the day they were supposed to leave for Florida. So they remained in New York. With the need to test negative to get on the cruise we did not go to parks during Marathon Weekend and generally avoided Disney transportation. It was new for us to have a car at WDW and we took advantage of it, eating mostly outdoor quick service from resorts and Disney Springs. I drove to the races each morning, although I missed the excitement of getting on the buses at 3 a.m. with all of you. With no parks we were able to get to bed between 7:30 and 8 each night, which made getting up at 2:20 a.m. pretty easy.

I need to thank @DopeyBadger for preparing me for the Dopey Challenge. This was my third one and his training plans helped get me ready, and I was healthy entering Dopey for the first time. According to the overall Dopey results compiled and posted by @opusone, I finished in the top 100 out of more than 5,300 Dopey runners. I beat my goal time by nearly 30 minutes! I haven't done a lot of races, but I set PRs in the 5K, 10K and marathon, and my half marathon time was ~5 minutes faster than I was aiming for going in.

We made it through Marathon Weekend without COVID and were able to get on the Dream on the Monday after the marathon, despite the long waits in the corrals. Waiting for your result at the port is a little nerve-wracking! The first full day of the cruise featured a stop at Castaway Cay. Typically, the cruise after Marathon Weekend has an official 5K race put on by RunDisney. However, that did not happen this year. I decided to still do a 5K on the island for completeness and I crossed my personal finish line in 23:11, meaning even adding in the Castaway Cay run I was under the goal time I had set for myself for Dopey. Unbelievable! It shows training pays off.

Our day at the Magic Kingdom with my mother-in-law was great. She isn't the most active person, but she was a trooper. She finished with more than 23,000 steps and went from park open to park close. And she had a great time!

It was an outstanding trip and I really enjoyed Marathon Weekend. I can't wait for my next Dopey. I've never done a standalone marathon, though, and I might do that in 2023 to save some money and vacation days, and maybe return for Dopey in 2024.

Time to search for some videos of Marathon Weekend to relive the excitement and energy!
I had a similar vacation to you, though no parents! 😉

1/5: Flew into MCO. Our flights got there early enough, and I rented a car. We went to ESPN, first, and the lines were really long. So we went to Epcot, had some fun, and then went back to ESPN later, and the lines were all gone.
1/5-10 Boulder Ridge Villas, and we drove to the start line every morning. 10k day was actually the worst, and the one we left the latest. There's definitely a trick to getting there at a golden time while driving.
1/10-14, we left on the same cruise. Since there was no organized 5k, we punted the run. Castaway Cay was great. Nassau is something I wouldn't cry about if I never stepped foot in that city, again.
1/14, we had late flights. so went back to Epcot for the start of Festival of the Arts. That was fun! Though the line for the popcorn bucket was something else.

I had a similar vacation to you, though no parents! 😉

1/5: Flew into MCO. Our flights got there early enough, and I rented a car. We went to ESPN, first, and the lines were really long. So we went to Epcot, had some fun, and then went back to ESPN later, and the lines were all gone.
1/5-10 Boulder Ridge Villas, and we drove to the start line every morning. 10k day was actually the worst, and the one we left the latest. There's definitely a trick to getting there at a golden time while driving.
1/10-14, we left on the same cruise. Since there was no organized 5k, we punted the run. Castaway Cay was great. Nassau is something I wouldn't cry about if I never stepped foot in that city, again.
1/14, we had late flights. so went back to Epcot for the start of Festival of the Arts. That was fun! Though the line for the popcorn bucket was something else.
Glad you had a good trip! I talked to a lot of runners on the cruise, so we may have chatted at some point. I ended up leaving my room ~3 a.m. each day to get to Epcot. On 10K day I arrived at the parking lot about 3:15, but sat in my car until 3:47 to avoid the rain showers. I had no problems with traffic, so that might be the golden time.

Glad you had a good trip! I talked to a lot of runners on the cruise, so we may have chatted at some point. I ended up leaving my room ~3 a.m. each day to get to Epcot. On 10K day I arrived at the parking lot about 3:15, but sat in my car until 3:47 to avoid the rain showers. I had no problems with traffic, so that might be the golden time.

Similar on the departure times. I left my hotel at 2:45am each morning and would pull into the parking lot around 3am. Then would sit in my car until 4am.

We may have. There wasn't many people on the ship. Part of me was like "lots of free space!" The other part was like "it's so empty!"

We left on 5k day at 3:00, and we ended up standing around a bit until the race started. That day, we were able to drive south on World Drive from WL to Epcot Center Drive directly. It was fairly quick

We got up a bit late on 10k day, so didn't get out of the room until 4am, and by that point. The exit from World Drive to Epcot Center Drive was closed, so we had to go south to Buena Vista Drive, and get back on World Drive Northbound that way. Epcot Center Drive had the left lane coned off, so that made getting to parking a little more troublesome.

For the Half and Full, we left at 3:30, and that seemed to be the sweet spot. The same deal from World Drive S to Buena Vista Drive East, very quickly back to World Drive N to Epcot Center Drive. But, at least this time, both lanes were open. We were moving the entire time, but never felt rushed.

Really really random question: Why is the road that leads out of the Epcot parking lot named Woodpecker Lane?

Last edited:
Re: Woodpecker Lane

here is what I found online:

When Epcot was being built, it was discovered that the endangered red-cockheaded woodpecker was living in some of the pine trees where the Epcot parking lot was to be located. An area of the parking lot was set aside for the woodpeckers (who promptly flew off, never to be seen on property again), and the road was named Woodpecker Lane to commemorate their presence.

Just shy of 2 weeks since returning from Marathon Weekend and feel grateful to have made it through without Covid! If I were to test positive now, I think we can confidently say it didn’t come from the trip.

I hope anyone who did test positive or get sick after is on the mend!
Both our daughters ended up testing positive. They each have one dose and had barely any symptoms - our 7 year old is walking on our treadmill right now for exercise as I type this. My wife and I both have our boosters and haven’t tested positive yet. No regrets, we had a great time and it was well needed after the last two years. Now time to join the MW2023 thread just in case we decide to do it again.

Both our daughters ended up testing positive. They each have one dose and had barely any symptoms - our 7 year old is walking on our treadmill right now for exercise as I type this. My wife and I both have our boosters and haven’t tested positive yet. No regrets, we had a great time and it was well needed after the last two years. Now time to join the MW2023 thread just in case we decide to do it again.
Definitely no regrets here either. I was so anxious leading up to the trip but am very glad we went.

I tested positive on Thursday after the Marathon. Very mild symptoms (sore throat and cough). Completed my first easy run since the race this morning and all seems to be fine. Glad I was vacced and boosted.
Glad to hear that!

We got up a bit late on 10k day, so didn't get out of the room until 4am, and by that point. The exit from World Drive to Epcot Center Drive was closed, so we had to go south to Buena Vista Drive, and get back on World Drive Northbound that way. Epcot Center Drive had the left lane coned off, so that made getting to parking a little more troublesome.

We left the Contemporary at 3:10 am for the 10K and the Southbound Epcot Center Drive exit was already closed, so even leaving earlier you would have had to do the loop around.

We left the Contemporary at 3:10 am for the 10K and the Southbound Epcot Center Drive exit was already closed, so even leaving earlier you would have had to do the loop around.
It wasn't the loop around from Buena Vista Drive which was the problem. 10k day, the left lane of Epcot Center Drive was coned off, which caused a bit of a headache getting through the toll booths.

Castaway Cay was great. Nassau is something I wouldn't cry about if I never stepped foot in that city, again.

I told my husband the same thing after we did our Bahamian cruise. We went to Atlantis water park while we were at port b/c my kid looooves water parks. I would probably have rather been on the boat and I told them if we do that trip again, they can go somewhere, but I’ll pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter