Marathon Weekend 2023

Well that was an adventure. Logged in at 7:00am out on the west coast. Dealt with the 7 Dwarfs for over an hour, finally got the spinning wheel of slowness around 8:15. Went to work and tried again here. Shortly after my 9:00am meeting, I got in and registered for Dopey. 5K and 10K were already gone by then.

Well, that was... unpleasant. I did get in for what I wanted, 10K and full, but a lot of my friends got shut out of everything they wanted, despite being in a queue at 9:45 and waiting it all out. Instead of feeling excited and happy, I just feel deflated. And kinda sad about rewarding the giant rD cluster by giving them more of my money.

Looking for some humor in it all, can I throw my hat in the ring for Most Unusual Registration Circumstances? Moments before my queue opened to registration, my cat puked all over my white armchair, so I managed to register with one hand while wiping up yak and removing an unwieldly slipcover with the other. Leveled up.
I agree. I am happy that I got in for the 10k (with my daughter for her first race!) but my best friend didn't get anything. :(

This is our first time running Disney races. I registered for two people on my registration; neither one was for me. Only one shows up in the runDisney account. Can I switch that over to her account? And, where would I see the husband I registered? Thanks.

I'm kind of suspicious that there might be something fishy going on with the tech on this one. Yes, I know that people predicted that this would go fast, but to have EVERYTHING sold out in less an hour. That's abnormal.

The fact that even the marathon sold out... I'd get all the other distances, but now I'm wondering if there are shenanigans afoot.

Maybe there really is that much pent up demand for travel.

I find it hard to believe that they're 100% sold out of every race in an hour.

The challenges, the 5k and 10k? Sure. Even the half.

The marathon? I'm shocked. Been running these since 2010, and it's ALWAYS open.
Add me to the list. Something is up. I'll give you a fast sellout for the 5, 10 and Dopey. But Goofy? The marathon? Nope. Entirely bizarre. All I can think is that they're still operating with a reduced field cap. It wasn't a huge reduction for 2022 vs., say, 2019, but smaller, for sure. Smaller enough to maybe make a difference in sellout times with increased demand and willingness to travel.

Maybe. Still - the Marathon????

I think a lot of people may have wanted Dopey but when it sold out they settled for Goofy and marathon. Idk though!
I'm not sure what to make of the whole thing but I will say that if I were planning on Dopey and it sold out, I'd def move on to Goofy, and if *that* had sold out, go for the half and full separately.

But yeah, this is weird. Shockingly fast sellout.

Add me to the list. Something is up. I'll give you a fast sellout for the 5, 10 and Dopey. But Goofy? The marathon? Nope. Entirely bizarre. All I can think is that they're still operating with a reduced field cap. It wasn't a huge reduction for 2022 vs., say, 2019, but smaller, for sure. Smaller enough to maybe make a difference in sellout times with increased demand and willingness to travel.

Maybe. Still - the Marathon????

At this point, I wouldn't put it past Disney to cap opening day registration to lure some people into signing up for Club RunDisney, and then release more bibs later. Who knows?

I wonder if some of this is everything hitting all at once.

1. Life is getting back closer to whatever the new normal is.
2. Pent up travel demand.
3. Pent up race demand especially given uncertainty with runDisney and the pandemic.
4. 30th anniversary marathon, which also means 10th anniversary 10K, 10th anniversary Dopey, and possibly Chip and Dale being new to races.

This is making me realize I need to book a hotel!
Last week I booked Caribbean Beach for Marathon Weekend in hopes that my friend & I got into the Half (which we did!) If you call they can book room only reservations. Online doesn't allow yet.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter