Marathon Weekend 2023

What strategies have you all used?

I've used several different strategies. I used to race blind to pace because seeing the data bothered me mentally. I tried running negative splits, or even pace splits when watching pace, and it would bother me when a mile was 10-20 seconds off my goal even if I was running up a big hill.

These days I use a grade adjusted pacing system, and it sets my mind at ease. Let's say my goal is a 7:30 min/mile. The first half of the race is up a mountain, and the second half of the race is down a mountain. Should I really run even splits of 7:30 through the first half of the race, and absolutely destroy myself? Probably not. Ultimately instead of even pace, I'm looking for an even effort (although admittedly the effort level will ramp up late in the race). The mountain example is extreme, but it still works with a rolling hill race. When I run uphill, I slow down, and when I run downhill my pace speeds up. The slowing of up does not cancel out the speeding of down. I used this methodology during my rolling hill Madison 2021 marathon. During the early portions of the race, I was getting passed right and left as people of seemingly similar goals/fitness were flying past me on the uphills (they were trying to maintain even pace). But ultimately I caught almost all of them late in the race. While I finished in 3:15, most of those early passers ended up finishing in 3:25-3:40 range. If the race is mostly flat (like Disney), then the GAP method is less of a consideration.

I use Strava's grade adjusted pace feature to determine appropriate adjustments to goal pacing. So I'll know in advance a mile is a +15 and a different mile is a -8. To find GAP data for a race I haven't done before, I go to previous race results and start typing in the names of finishers into the Strava search feature. I'm looking for a runner who has a premium account that is open. Then I calculate the pace vs GAP difference to determine my needed adjustments for my pace.

Madison Marathon 2021 example:
Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 12.12.34 PM.png

The first couple miles of any race are a natural warm up. Just trying to get into a rhythm, get the crowds to disperse, etc is a good time to not "take it easy", but rather avoid getting antsy/frustrated to "get racing". 2) Even pacing has a bandwidth--I try not to sweat natural variation due to course elevation changes, fueling stops, etc.
Totally agree with this! Especially at Disney. I know some folks here have PR’ed at Disney but that hasn’t really been my experience. Shifting your mindset for the first couple of miles is a good idea. It takes just about enough time for the crowd to loosen up for you to get a decent warm-up in and be able to gradually come up to speed. From there I aim for consistent to negative pacing usually. I seem to naturally negative split longer distances on race day. At Disney, there are always random very “slow” miles because every bathroom stop takes multiple minutes.

Good Morning runDisney All-Stars!

Looks like there is already a great question being discussed about race pace, so please respond to that if you like along with today’s questions:

Do you have a favorite county in the world showcase? If so, which and why?

My answers:
Pace - If I am running a race with a set goal time I will try to become as familiar with the course ahead of time as I can. I try to stick to a preplanned pace, but will pick it up or back it off depending on what the course is doing, the weather and how I am feeling. I do tons of self talk, and unfortunately race math, as I am going. This does help me to stay on pace and be strategic about effort and conditions.

World Showcase - I like them all but if I had to pick one it would be Mexico. I am a huge fan of a good margarita; there is always time for a margarita! My favorite quick service restaurant La Cantina De San Angel is an absolute must do for my family when we are in Epcot. For me I love nothing more than Tacos de Barbacoa with lots of hot sauce while sitting outside overlooking the water. I really enjoy wandering around the town square inside the pyramid. They did such an incredible job in setting the atmosphere. Lastly, and I may be in the minority here, but I love Grand Fiesta Tour.

SAFD: For pacing, I suck at it, and I seem to lose all feel for what it should be in the rD race atmosphere. So I just focus on survival. And yes, I know it's not ideal but I will absolutely "bank" time before the sun comes up since I heat up so quickly and easily. For other races, I'm usually either doing them just for fun (and sometimes with family) or treating them as a time trial, so I'm either not at all worried about my pace or just going all out to see what I can do. I do suck at math, so perhaps this is all avoidance??

WS is a tough one. I think I'd have to pick Morocco for the little hidden nooks where you can get away from the heat and crowds. And the Moroccan mint ice tea!

SAFD: This is such a tough question! My favorite WS country depends on what I'm doing at any given time, so I'll break it down by category.

Quick Service: This should be 100% Morocco, but they've ruined it with the closing of Tangierine Cafe. I'll have to go with Mexico for Cantina de San Angel with an honorable mention to America for the Regal Eagle Smokehouse.

Table Service: France. The bouef bourguignon at Les Chefs de France is great.

Snacks: Germany. SO many good options at Karamell-Küche! Honorable mention to France with Boulangerie Patisserie.

Shopping: Japan. I love going through Mitsukoshi and we've had great times doing the pearls with our girls when they were little. Honorable mention to England and Germany just because I could shop for Twinings tea and Arsenal FC gear and Borussia Dortmund gear, respectively.

SAFD:
I have never really tried maintaining a pace in a race. Just tried to keep with my intervals. I’m looking forward to learning more about pacing!

My favorite country is Morocco for the aesthetics; England for the food, shops, and Winnie-the-Pooh topiaries during the Garden Festival.

SAFD:
Pacing—I’m usually a little fast right out of the gate because it’s crowded and harder to take as many walk breaks (and at Disney, I’m just so excited to finally be moving instead of standing or moving in a shoulder-to-shoulder shuffle 😆). Once I’m out of the crowd, I just try to maintain my run/walk intervals whenever possible. At Disney, I go faster on the highway sections to make up for the crowded spots (evil path between HS and EP, I’m looking at you!)

World Showcase—I really like to wander through Mitsukoshi.

SAFD—pacing: I’ve actually *raced* uhhhh…none of my races? I have really enjoyed reading the comments though since I’m 2 weeks out from trying to PR a half.

SAFD—world showcase: I honestly don’t know. Pretty much all of our Disney trips have involved taking the kids and that means we don’t do much wandering in WS because they get bored and vocal about it. I like the little nooks and crannies of France (and Les Halles) and I love the baklava in Morocco. 😂

I’m looking forward to exploring it a bit more during MW when it will (finally!) be just myself and DH. I think that’s going to be our only park day (unless we move our flight home to much later and I can convince myself to get a 1 day hopper strictly for medal pics 🤔 )

Good Morning runDisney All-Stars!

Looks like there is already a great question being discussed about race pace, so please respond to that if you like along with today’s questions:

Do you have a favorite county in the world showcase? If so, which and why?

My answers:
Pace - If I am running a race with a set goal time I will try to become as familiar with the course ahead of time as I can. I try to stick to a preplanned pace, but will pick it up or back it off depending on what the course is doing, the weather and how I am feeling. I do tons of self talk, and unfortunately race math, as I am going. This does help me to stay on pace and be strategic about effort and conditions.

World Showcase - I like them all but if I had to pick one it would be Mexico. I am a huge fan of a good margarita; there is always time for a margarita! My favorite quick service restaurant La Cantina De San Angel is an absolute must do for my family when we are in Epcot. For me I love nothing more than Tacos de Barbacoa with lots of hot sauce while sitting outside overlooking the water. I really enjoy wandering around the town square inside the pyramid. They did such an incredible job in setting the atmosphere. Lastly, and I may be in the minority here, but I love Grand Fiesta Tour.
SAFD

Favorite country: France, mostly because of that ice cream place (apple cinnamon crunch ice cream… 🤤). I also think it holds a special place for me because on my first Disney trip as an adult, we stayed at the Boardwalk and the first place we went was to Epcot, through the International Gateway and into France. I didn’t know that back entrance existed, so my mind was pretty blown at how awesome it was that we could just walk there. Also cannot wait to see the expansion and the Ratatouille ride.

Pacing: my strategy is to run to the next character, wait in line for pics, then on to the next character and so on. 😁

SADF: Hard question, umm Mexico. The drinks, the atmosphere and the air-conditioning. Just love it. U really do not feel your are in FL.

Pace: I am not good at pacing... I always start out to fast at a race. I just get soo excited. I focus on keeping to my intervals and really trying to glide in-between my transitions. I notice that really helps my pace and conserving my energy at the same time.

SAFD:

I love wandering around World Showcase. Extremely excited to be able to go back to Food and Wine Festival for the first time in too long in a couple weeks. We’re doing a whirlwind trip for MNSSHP and then a day at Epcot for Guardians (and food).

My favorite stop in World Showcase is Mexico. I love the nighttime market feel of the interior of the building. It’s a great place for me to get out of the sun and relax as I genuinely enjoy the atmosphere. I’ve detailed before that sitting on the edge of the fountain is one of my favorite places to take a break and people watch. I could ride Gran Fiesta Tour all day long.

The food isn’t my favorite but the quick service is very good and I’ve really enjoyed the couple times I’ve eaten inside because of the unique setting even if the food was pretty standard.

For me, it’s definitely a case of being spoilt for choice though. I’ll happily spend an hour or more at every one of the pavilions. I’ve definitely spent less time in Italy, UK and Canada than the others (We always start at Mexico when we enter the main gate and head to France first when entering at the international gateway). From my experience, Italy has the least to do if we’re not looking for a place to eat.

SAFD:

Pace: I have learned a lot over the past 4.5 years about race pace from people here and actually reading books 🤓 I go into my races with a plan now. For non-Disney races I am so much better at holding back now at the start of the race than I used to be. I aim to keep goal pace for each mile, but I know things will come up where I won’t be able to. I do this for straight running and interval running. Disney races I don’t normally run for time so I just do whatever feels good at the time. Sometimes I am running with others so it’s whatever feels good for the group.

WS: I am gonna have to go with either Italy or UK during DATW on Monday after the marathon. IYKYK 😎 For all other times that’s hard….I guess the UK. Now that music is back it’s fun to drink a pint while listening to the band.

Pace: I'm experienced enough to comment, but I'm loving reading everyones thoughts!

WS Country: Probably Germany. I have so many good memories of eating at Biergarten with my family, the snacks there are yummy, and the train is a favourite now with my two boys. I'm really excited to have the international CMs back for MW! WS felt like it was missing something on our last trip without them.

SAFD

Pace: My HM in two weeks will be the first time I'm actually aiming for a specific pace. In previous HMs, I would just try to keep it fairly slow starting out and then see how I felt around halfway through. Usually this resulted in fairly large negative splits because I didn't really know how fast I could run.

WS: Hard question! But as always, probably Morocco. They always have good food/drinks and the architecture and decorations are beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter