Marathon Weekend 2023

This is my first runDisney event that monorail is an option for transportation. Does anyone know what crowds look like between 3 and 4 am for that?
(I'm actually ecstatic to not be on a bus after dealing with ours getting lost for the W&D 10K for over an hour)

This will be my first time staying at a monorail resort for a race, too. But I'm a first bus person, so I'll be getting on closer to 2:30am when they start running it. Note that the monorail is only available for the Half and Full -- we're still on a bus for the 5K and 10K if you're doing those.

So.... anyone not thrilled with the Half course? I feel like it's ALL highway/parking lot miles. Typical quick jaunt through MK, fine (this will be my first race through MK!) but then at the end, we're in Epcot for like .3 miles? I really wish there was some world showcase on the course. Just not enough park running overall. the 10k course looks soooo fun and fantastic. But I'm "just" doing the half this year.

This is my first runDisney event that monorail is an option for transportation. Does anyone know what crowds look like between 3 and 4 am for that?
(I'm actually ecstatic to not be on a bus after dealing with ours getting lost for the W&D 10K for over an hour)
I'm at GF and this will also be my first race using the monorail. I'm so excited about that. I was also on a bus for the W&D 10k that got lost! 45 min from SS to Epcot.... hmmmm......

So.... anyone not thrilled with the Half course? I feel like it's ALL highway/parking lot miles. Typical quick jaunt through MK, fine (this will be my first race through MK!) but then at the end, we're in Epcot for like .3 miles? I really wish there was some world showcase on the course. Just not enough park running overall. the 10k course looks soooo fun and fantastic. But I'm "just" doing the half this year.
That's pretty much how it always is, same for Princess.

So for the marathon it looks like there's water every mile or so, except between 9 and 11 when you're running through MK. Am I missing something? I've been debating whether I want to carry my handheld for 26.2 miles, which doesn't sound like much fun but neither does not having water when I need it.

I am hoping it's honey stinger on-course since I know their stuff works for me and I could carry less in my belt.
I definitely wouldn’t count on it. I would be surprised if they switched. My plan is to ask the honey stinger booth at the expo, then I’ll know how much I need to carry.
I noticed that in the Spectator Viewing tab for the Half, it only mentions Start and Finish line viewing (Same as 5K and 10k). There is no mention of Main Street viewing. I assume this is an oversight and Main Street will still be open for spectating for the Half and Full.
I forget where in the guide, but I did see mention of the monorail running from Epcot to MK starting at 4:30a. This gives me some confidence it was just an oversight that Main Street wasn’t listed in the spectator info. Worst case, MK is closed and your spectators can still see you run past the TTC and Poly.

Speaking of spectators, do you think mine would have any trouble parking at Coronado to catch me at mile 20? I know some of the resorts can be finicky about parking. Anyone done this before?

So for the marathon it looks like there's water every mile or so, except between 9 and 11 when you're running through MK. Am I missing something? I've been debating whether I want to carry my handheld for 26.2 miles, which doesn't sound like much fun but neither does not having water when I need it.
I’m a big adherent to ”race like you trained”: I sip from a handheld bottle every 1/2 mile in training, so that’s what I do in the race, too. I’m never without fluids when I want them, and it’s easy to refill as needed at water stations. Also, I have experienced rD races in which water stations ran out of water - completely empty. I’d rather not chance needing water and not being able to get it.

I think the difficulty is if you want to run through Cinderella's castle, and do EPCOT World Showcase, you need more distance than a HM. Coming in on the west side of EPCOT by Figment doing the showcase loop and finishing in the EPCOT parking lot is about 2.2 miles. So to swap out the current 0.8 miles with the 2.2 mile loop would mean you need to cut 1.4 miles from somewhere else on course. That's too much distance to move the start unless you placed it outside MK, but then infrastructure wise it gives you a different start/end than the other three races in the weekend. The HM is already about a straight shot as you can get. So if you want more EPCOT you'd probably have to sacrifice MK. More similar to Wine and Dine then. The 2018 course was as close as you could get to world showcase, and it still barely touched it. But with the Moana water feature thing, I'm not sure this will be as easy.

Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 12.12.11 PM.png

So... I know they have a policy against spectators handing out food/water to runners. How strict is that policy?

Obviously nobody should be holding out food for strangers, and if that's the meaning of the policy, great! But I don't know if it's intended to extend to family, too. If my family handed me a bottle of LiquidIV or some extra Gu, would that cause a problem, or are they really just trying to prevent unofficial food/water stops?
Last year we cheered for the full in HS. We were right by the turn to head out of the park and there was a woman handing out food to any runner who wanted it, orange slices and something else I can’t remember. There were plenty of CMs near us and no one said a thing to her. I think handing something to a friend/ family member should be fine.

I noticed that in the Spectator Viewing tab for the Half, it only mentions Start and Finish line viewing (Same as 5K and 10k). There is no mention of Main Street viewing. I assume this is an oversight and Main Street will still be open for spectating for the Half and Full. Also I have a stupid question, how do you attach a photo to a post? Does it have to be hosted on another photo sharing site. I read the FAQ and it says you can drag and drop a photo. This doesn't work for me. What am I missing?
Just tap/click this icon and then upload an image from your device3786D454-2E10-4409-9539-D7277889B2A3.jpeg

RACE - 5k
NAME - Steph
DIS'er name -
steph08
Costume/Clothing - InkNBurn top and running shorts
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration
- 1:53 half POT
Club runDisney Platinum? -
(Yes or No) - No
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) - Yes
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - Front
Early Bird or Late Arriver -Early bird
Expected Race Pace -
10-11 minute/mile

RACE - 10k
NAME - Steph
DIS'er name -
steph08
(Yes or No) - No
Expected Race Pace -
10-11 minute/mile

RACE - Half Marathon
NAME - Steph
DIS'er name -
steph08
(Yes or No) - No
Expected Race Pace -
10-11 minute/mile

RACE - Marathon
NAME - Steph
DIS'er name -
steph08
(Yes or No) - No
Expected Race Pace -
10-11 minute/mile - If it is hot, probably around 9:45/10:00 until the sun comes up, then I'll slow down

Yay event guide!

Monorail transportation is awesome for races - it has never been crowded when I get on, usually around 2:30/3:00 a.m. I have always had a seat, usually a row to myself.

I miss people handing out snacks. I used to love getting some pretzels when in the Boardwalk area - it would really give me the boost I needed to make it through the last few miles. I'm really disappointed that they've cracked down on this. And in 2019, when the marathon still went through WWOS, people had big tents set up in the parking lot, and I got tissues (polar vortex year) and pretzels. I think I told the person I loved them. :rotfl2:

And I'm also wondering why I signed up for Dopey! :rotfl2:It seems like so many miles now that the course maps are out. However, did a good 10 today and ready to tackle 16 tomorrow and then taper!!

Last edited:
I took the monorail at around 3:30 last year (marathon), and it was maybe 50% full. It may get busier later on, but I suspect you won't ever have to wait for the next train.

I think the difficulty is if you want to run through Cinderella's castle, and do EPCOT World Showcase, you need more distance than a HM. Coming in on the west side of EPCOT by Figment doing the showcase loop and finishing in the EPCOT parking lot is about 2.2 miles. So to swap out the current 0.8 miles with the 2.2 mile loop would mean you need to cut 1.4 miles from somewhere else on course. That's too much distance to move the start unless you placed it outside MK, but then infrastructure wise it gives you a different start/end than the other three races in the weekend. The HM is already about a straight shot as you can get. So if you want more EPCOT you'd probably have to sacrifice MK. More similar to Wine and Dine then. The 2018 course was as close as you could get to world showcase, and it still barely touched it. But with the Moana water feature thing, I'm not sure this will be as easy.

View attachment 725643
Can you imagine the uproar if they eliminated the run through the castle?

Thanks, Billy!

RACE - Half Marathon
NAME - Sylvia and DH
DIS'er name - Disney at Heart
Costume/Clothing - regular running clothes
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - 5:00-5:30
(Yes or No) No
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) Yes
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - Middle to back
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Early
Expected Race Pace - 12:00 - 12:30

RACE - Marathon
NAME - Sylvia and DH
DIS'er name -
Disney at Heart
Costume/Clothing - regular running clothes
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - 5:00-5:30
(Yes or No) No
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) yes
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - Middle to back
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Early
Expected Race Pace - 13:00-13:30

I ran 20 miles at the River Walk in Chattanooga on Tuesday at 13:09 pace. It was an awful run with stomach issues and foot and calf cramping (that I have never had before), that made me walk most of the last 1-2 miles. I hope a bad final long run means a much better marathon! I will definitely take the half slowly to save my legs for the marathon. But the fact that I am going to be out there is not bad for a "senior" woman. Since I'm just wearing running clothes instead of a costume, you can all just look for the gray hair!

Like Quote Reply

I noticed that in the Spectator Viewing tab for the Half, it only mentions Start and Finish line viewing (Same as 5K and 10k). There is no mention of Main Street viewing. I assume this is an oversight and Main Street will still be open for spectating for the Half and Full. Also I have a stupid question, how do you attach a photo to a post? Does it have to be hosted on another photo sharing site. I read the FAQ and it says you can drag and drop a photo. This doesn't work for me. What am I missing?
RE: spectator viewing, RD has a bad habit of copying over information from prior races for their guides and forgetting to update. I expect that to be the case here, one of the coolest parts of the half is coming up on main street and having a huge crowd cheering.

Can you imagine the uproar if they eliminated the run through the castle?

I can because it happened in 2018 (?). When the original artwork of the course map of the HM or M (can't remember which and maybe both) was released in the event guide the image had the course going just to the west side of the castle and not through the castle. It ended up being an artist interpretation and we did in fact go through it. But there was a significant uproar when that image was released.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter