• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2023

Thanks for the rough timing calculation for getting to Main Street. I’ve been trying to figure out how feasible it is to have my mom watch from the start until I loop back around. Sounds like it might be possible but is risky since I only expect a 50 min gap.

I will add the "+ start" variants to come up with some math on those as well.

One thing that might be good to note is to not cross the road (Grand Floridian Way, I think) by the Poly. My wife did one year and then they didn't let her cross back over to get to the TTC. She was concerned that she'd miss me finish, but luckily she made it.

Good note to make.

For anyone who drives to the races from a Disney resort, what time do you leave? I see we need to be parked by 4 (woof).
I used to leave at the same time buses started running, but that was when that was 3am. I’m not doing 2:30. I think I left my Bonnet Creek resort (so a close, quick drive) at 3 for the half and marathon this year, 3:30 for the 5K and 10K. No issues getting parked with plenty of time for the long walk through security, to corrals, or for potty stops.

Taper time, finished my dopey sim 5/5/10/20 this morning. A little sore but it felt good, ran the first three days and did 3:00/:30 intervals for the 20 with nice and easy 10:30/mile pace. Now it’s time to enjoy the holidays with the family and hope for a great MW. Can’t believe it’s already time.
Wishing the best for everyone’s holidays and travels

Taper time for me, too!

Last 16-mile long run yesterday (13 miles @ easy pace, last 3 @ M Tempo, and then a half-mile all-out sprint just for the heck of it... and because I took a wrong turn and ended up a half mile from my home). I'm not particularly sore, and feel great. Can't wait for the race!

Safd, etc:
Doing my first costume run this year in the half. My adult DD is dressing as Dr Seeker and I’m wearing a “onesie” dinosaur costume that will be quite warm so crossing my fingers for cooler temps. At any rate, I’ll probably feel lighter and more comfortable on Sunday because I’m not wearing a costume.

We have several Disney ornaments and actually have an entire spare bedroom we simply refer to as the “Disney room”. This year we picked up the Disney castle and house from Costco. They both play music and are a fun addition to our Christmas decor.

Since I’m cramming a bit, I’m actually doing my longest run on Saturday (2 weeks out). At this point, the high is forecasted to be 13F with the windchill below 0F. It should be a nice challenge doing 20 miles on Christmas Eve in these temps.

For anyone who drives to the races from a Disney resort, what time do you leave? I see we need to be parked by 4 (woof).
I don't like to risk traffic backups or any sort of issue, so I leave when the first few busses would leave. You can always hang out in your car if you don't want to be outside standing around for a long time. Plus, since they use the park entrance for security, it's a pretty long walk from the parking lot, through security, and into the pre-start area.

However.

Last year they expediated the start on Sunday because of the expected high temps, and according to some reading elsewhere it seems like Disney may have closed the corrals a bit earlier than usual that morning, which packed the back corrals. If that's something you'd be concerned about, getting there sooner than later is the easiest solution.

This year we picked up the Disney castle and house from Costco. They both play music and are a fun addition to our Christmas decor.
I've been trying to get DH on board with buying these (especially since they're down to $50 each now!?) but we don't have any space for them. Sad face for me.

On the subject of final long runs, I did mine this past weekend. My goals were to: just do what I could and try to enjoy the perfect weather and beautiful place I live, see what happened by ditching prescribed run-walk intervals and just running when it felt good and walking when that felt better, see just how much pain I could tolerate and how many miles/time that resulted in, and do a combination of paying close attention to when pain started where it hit and how it might connect to other areas while also using some mind techniques to allow the pain and push past it. Which sounds bizarre, I grant you.

The results?
It really was a mostly enjoyable 13 miles.
I walked the whole first 1/2 mile and several big chunks here and there throughout: I quickly found that doing longer stints of both walking and running seemed to be better on my hips (which are tightening up like a giant elastic is wrapped around them) than my usual :30/:30 intervals.
Pace-wise, I clocked an avg of around 14:15/mile, so totally acceptable.
Paying attention to the pain was helpful in both working through it mentally, and in figuring out how to describe it when I get to the rheumatologist in better detail than “it hurts,” and it seems like it’s all spots where tendons/fascia connect to muscles - at the very bottom of my quads, where my IT band connect to my hips, a connection point on my spine. Up until the final couple miles, focusing on the points of pain and working on accepting it actually made it easier to move through it.

I was pretty wiped after, though. Like, major, whole-body fatigue for the whole weekend. And my pain points are more sore today than after Dopey. But it all felt better after doing some yoga this morning. So I came away feeling like I can probably push through half of the marathon, make my exit at the Poly, and enjoy the miles I get, and maybe with taking a big step back over the next few weeks, my body will fare better after some rest and rehab. We’ll see!

rD wants an early-90s theme? I’m bringing my real-life early-90s game for the 10K: Red Hot Chili Peppers tee, vintage flannel shirt I’ve actually owned since ‘92 when I snagged it from my grunge band boyfriend, and Nirvana Mickey ears. Smells Like Teen Spirit, baybee.
I am obsessed with this. I thought about doing a grunge theme costume but didn't end up going that route.

My wife signed up for the 10K, but due to injuries she is not doing it. RunDisney obviously did not provide a refund (no problem, we completely understand). We adjusted our travel plans to accommodate only me doing the marathon, so we're arriving on Saturday. Would she still be able to pick up her 10K shirt when we go to WWoS to get my bib? Or are they only available before the race takes place?

I'm sure we can just ask when we arrive, but I'm curious if others have had a similar experience.
I know the bib pick up will be gone but I imagine it’s something runner relations could figure out. It would be kind of similar for someone who had a delayed arrival and had to use the race day emergency pick up. They are instructed to go to the expo to pick up their shirts.

Because this comes up in pre-race discussions, I've added a new "Main Street Viewing Timing" and "TTC to Poly to Finish Line Viewing Timing" calculations to the DIS List sheet.

View attachment 726237

View attachment 726236

Is there anyone else looking to submit information before I put out the first draft edition?
Just want To make sure I understand this. I am going to the start with my wife (half marathon). To see her on Main St I take the monorail to TTC then to MK like you would normally. Since she runs 8:30ish miles I probably need to just head to MK when we separate - right?

SAFD: I am not a costume person, and since I'm running with TNT this year I want to wear my TNT shirt(s) for both races. I did manage to find some fun Junk headbands, so I will most likely be rocking a pizza headband or Captain America headband or something similar.

I am realizing now that I am drastically lacking on the Disney apparel. I do not have a single Disney Christmas ornament (need to change that on this trip) and other than a couple of Disney t-shirts, I do not have much else to speak of since I do not really buy merchandise on my Disney trips. I think some shopping is in order in a couple weeks.

I did my longest training run on Saturday, 18 miles. I started the plan a bit late so I took @DopeyBadger's advice and just did as much of the plan as I could and then start my taper. Admittedly, I cut a couple of weeks out of the plan to get up to at least 18 miles for my longest run as I was not comfortable doing less before attempting Goofy. I started out well with my original plan to walk half the distance of the long run on Saturday and run the long run each week on Sunday. But, these last few weeks I missed the Saturday walk. So, I am hoping that the rest of my efforts will be enough to get me across the finish line for both races. 18 miles on Saturday felt pretty good at a slow 14:00/mile pace and I keep telling myself that if worse comes to worst I could do that on race day and then walk/run the last 8 miles to avoid being swept. Someone tell me I've trained enough, please! 🤣

Because this comes up in pre-race discussions, I've added a new "Main Street Viewing Timing" and "TTC to Poly to Finish Line Viewing Timing" calculations to the DIS List sheet.

View attachment 726237

View attachment 726236

Is there anyone else looking to submit information before I put out the first draft edition?

@DopeyBadger , I was wondering if you have the rest of the MK map, the area inside Main Street. This year, it was blocked off right around Casey's Corner.

Where is the last place on the course for the full that a person might purchase an adult beverage? What about those enormous donuts? I feel like I need to cross the finish line with something in my hand. 🤣
DH and I stopped at a cart in Germany or Italy in January. It was perfect because there was no line! But the drinks were long gone by the time we reached the finish. I remember the line for margaritas was quite long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter