Marathon Weekend 2023

Good Morning runDisney All Stars!

For our first SAFD in 2022 I am going to use a question that was suggested by @Novatrix.

What races are you planning to run this year?

I am running the Spring Surprise Challenge in March/April. Then hoping to get in a few longer races in late spring and summer to prep for the Run Woodstock 50 Miler in September. If I get selected I am hoping to run as part of the Celiac Disease Foundation Team in the New York Marathon. Last year I was an alternate, so hoping it works out this year. (Both my daughters have Celiac) If not, then a local marathon for the fall, maybe Detroit or Grand Rapids. And then, fingers crossed I get a 2023 Dopey registration! Have a good Sunday everybody!

SAFD: I’m registered for the New England 10 miler series - 3 10-mile races in Maine, RI, and Vermont (April, June, and November). I’d like to try to PR one of them.

Was also thinking about adding in a half - maybe in the fall, as the Vermont one is so, so hilly that I won’t do that as a PR, and could do the half before.

or, maybe I’ll make 2022 the year of the 10 miler and hop into the springtime surprise 🤔

SAFD:

I'm already signed up for Princess Virtual (all of them) and SS 10k (in-person, with my SIL) but that's it at the moment. I'm looking for a local-ish late spring race...probably a half marathon as a "B" race, and then I'll probably fill in during the summer with small local 5ks. I would really like to find an "A" race in the fall when the temperatures should be calmed back down, but since my oldest 2 are in XC, they usually have a big meet every Saturday. That means I need to find one that's on a Sunday and NOT a trail race. Which significantly narrows the options.

I'm ever so gently trying to lobby DH to "let" me go down for the half on princess weekend, but so far flights are cost-prohibitive unless he takes time off from work (which defeats the purpose of a less expensive flight) to stay home with our toddler, and All-Stars are completely booked (would use Mears to save the money on a car rental.) So I either need that race to sell out already, or flights to get suuuuper cheap for me AND a resort room to open up.

SAFD: I was in an Olympic distance triathlon this weekend and am signed up for the Dubai 70.3 in March. I’m also registered for the Dubai Oceanman swim (5k) in March and the Ride London 100 in May. I’d like to do the Abu Dhabi Century Challenge (185km, 2300m climbing) in February too. After these, nothing until the season starts again in October.

SAFD:

I ran the Disney marathon last weekend, which will probably be the only Disney race for me in 2022. All my training and planning has been focused on that race for so long, I haven't thought very much about what else to run!

I'm thinking I might run the Hyannis half marathon in February, and the New Bedford half in March. I'm hoping to run the Philadelphia marathon in November, and the Millinocket (Maine) half marathon in December. And probably a lot of other local races here and there.

SAFD: I'm currently registered for two local half marathons; one in late April and the other in early June. No idea what I'm going to focus on this summer but I'm sure I'll find something. Then I'm going to find a late fall half or 10 miler as prep for the WDW Marathon.

Thinking about dopey. Heaven help me.
My entire extended family was at Disney Sunday-Tuesday this week and were repeatedly asking me about the Dopey medals. Then I got asked if I would ever do it to which I quickly answered "no way" but now I'm thinking maybe? I'm not worried about the distance, it's the vacation days that I would need to take prior to the marathon that scare me away.

What races are you planning to run this year?
My primary race this year is the Olympic distance Chicago Triathlon the last weekend in August. I will do 1-2 local sprint triathlons as part of my training (one at the end of July, possibly one in June).
If I sign up for marathon weekend 2023, I will probably do some random running events in the fall as part of training just for fun. I like doing long runs as organized events to make them more enjoyable.
If I finish my dissertation by/in summer, I would like to do a week long bike touring trip— Pittsburgh to DC or the Ohio Erie Trail. I also want to do a backpacking trip and currently want to do the Shenandoah section of the Appalachian Trail (about 100 miles).
There’s also a local adventure race in the fall that I think would be fun— it’s a mixture of cycling, kayaking, and hiking.

SAFD:

The only race I have planned so far is the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler in DC which is the 2020 race rescheduled. I do a lot of local races and will sign up for those shortly but I wanted to get past the marathon first. I'm not planning any more 2022 rD races but I also wasn't planning to do the marathon last weekend before July. In addition to the marathon weekend trip we have two other trips to FL this year and neither are race weekends so I doubt there will be a fourth.

SAFD: Since COVID turned our lives upside down and brought me to some pretty dark places, I decided last summer to make 2021 my recovery (using training to prioritize me and take back my mental and physical well-being), and 2022 my celebration. So I registered for the marathon (a huge leap that I still can't believe I accomplished), and then all three races for the Princess and Springtime Surprise weekends.

There's a series of summer races that I used to do every year, so I might do that for fun and familiarity (I'd like to be comfortable running them without a mask though). If my comfort level increases I might look into some local races over the summer and try to get a POT race again. I haven't had one since the one I used for Princess 2020, but with the new POT requirements it might be out of my reach.

Last edited:
SAFD: I'm running the DONNA half in Jacksonville Beach next month. It's my 13th year running either the full (nine years) or half (four years) there. Last year was virtual, but I stilll went to Jax Beach to run it. One of my sisters was diagnosed with breast cancer one month before the first time I ran it in 2010 (I was already registered) so it's a meaningful race for me. If you're not aware, DONNA is known as The National Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer.

SAFD:
Next up on my schedule is the Blackbeard's Revenge 100 miler at the end of March. My only goals for the race are to survive and finish. I'm going to be really testing the limits of what can be accomplished using a heavily modified marathon training plan. I'm very nervous about this one, but I know the course and it's flat.

I don't really have any plans after that race, other than to register for Dopey 2023. I'll probably look for a fall marathon to run to help keep up the motivation to train through the summer, but no idea as to which marathon at this point. Hoping to see everyone back at Marathon Weekend 2023!

SAFD: Like my goals this year, my race schedule is a bit loose at this point. I plan on trying a local 5-K around St. Patrick's Day that I can use to measure current fitness and set my training paces. Ideally would love to find a HM in late summer/early fall, but not a ton of those in Georgia (or Texas) because of the heat. Assuming training goes well, thinking of a late fall marathon before heading back for MW in January. Will need to be a smaller marathon since I'm waiting to register so thinking of Mississippi Gulf Coast in December. It's flat as a pancake so would be similar to Disney.

SAFD: As tempting as it would be to do a second Tower of Terror 10 miler this spring, I don’t think I‘ll be doing anymore runDisney or US races this year as crossing in/out of Canada is too difficult right now for a short trip. I’m registered for a 5k/10k/Half in May. if runDisney goes back to their older POT I might register for another half in the fall. Also considering registering for the Niagara Falls marathon in October. The big question will be Marathon Weekend next year. I’m definitely going to do a runDisney event in 2023, just haven’t made up my mind on which one(s) yet.

SAFD:
I'll be running the 3 Princess races
This spring, I'm doing two local races just for fun and the keep my fitness level, a 15k beginning of May and a HM at the start of June
My big challenge this year is my first marathon beginning of October! :)
Afterwards I'm thinking either the MW HM or Goofy challenge

SAFD: I am planning a local 5k in April. Am hoping by then injuries will be healed and that will be my race to find my training paces. I am pretty sure those paces will be a lot different from my heart. You train where you are nit where you want to be. After that Peachtree road race July 4. That is never a PR because ”atlanta” and “July 4” . depending on all that it might be rocket city marathon in Dec or it might be a fall half. If I do a fall half am interesTed in a destination race. I will take suggestions.

SAFD:
First things first, I'm running the Fairy Tale Challenge at Princess Weekend. No time goals.
I realized recently that I have not run a half marathon for a time goal since 2019! Maybe I ran one in 2020 that was supposed to be a PR goal but I blew up at mile 8 so we won't count that :teeth: Covid time is a blur anyway so who even knows if that race really happened.
So now that I'm moving on from marathons, I have the vague goal of training for a PR in the half at some time this year. That's as far as I've gotten. Maybe the half during Philadelphia Marathon weekend in November. The weather is guaranteed to be not too hot at least. I may sprinkle in a few 10k and 10 mile races. Gonna see if I can resist entering the lottery for the Broad Street 10 miler in May.

SAFD: I am already registered to
2022-05-07: 5k des Érables, with DD&DH (deferral from 2020)
2022-06-04: HM des Vignobles, probably with DH (deferral from 2020)
2022-10-02: M du P’tit train du nord (my A race)

I might try to add a HM (21k de Montréal) to run it for time (for PoT as well) as the one in June is typically quite hot. I am cautious about signing up for anything that could potentially turn into a virtual race.

I would love to find a small race in Greece when I go this summer, just to have a souvenir for it.

Now that we had to cancel our Mexico trip last December, we have to use the credit in 2022. That might or might not interfere with a potential Dopey 2023… Maybe 20% chance that I make it there at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter