Marathon Weekend 2023

Another vote for "wouldn't do the virtual". People were excited about the theme and experience but buying some medals isn't the same thing. I'm not entirely surprised the demand isn't there. I imagine even for the instagram minded simply getting a medal in the mail weeks to months after the event isn't as instagramable as being there in person as it's happening!

Another vote for "wouldn't do the virtual". People were excited about the theme and experience but buying some medals isn't the same thing. I'm not entirely surprised the demand isn't there. I imagine even for the instagram minded simply getting a medal in the mail weeks to months after the event isn't as instagramable as being there in person as it's happening!
It could also be runners have pandemic-fatigue from doing virtual races. We did them during the pandemic because what else was there? Now that races are back in-person, that's what runners want.

It could also be runners have pandemic-fatigue from doing virtual races. We did them during the pandemic because what else was there? Now that races are back in-person, that's what runners want.
Agree 100%. I did virtual races in 2020 and 2021 to keep motivated. I can't see ever paying for a virtual race again now that in person running is back.

I'm another that would not have registered for the virtual. I think @deadvc is on to something regarding the Instagram value.

I've been wondering if the demand for in person would be as high if they were true finisher medals and not just participation medals. I realize I'm stepping into a sticky subject here and I'm not trying to take sides, just speculating for discussions sake.

If people were just after the medal and not the running, they could register for the virtual and save some money. However, those medals arrive weeks later and you miss the opportunity to post all those bling photos on race day.

There's been a lot of chatter on social media about people registering for Dopey with no intention to train. Everyone here knows what a bad idea that is. But I'm assuming those people are just after their medal photos, although they won't get Dopey if they can't finish... So maybe they will train?

Apparently I have no clear point and just wanted to ramble some thoughts to anyone that would listen. I'd be curious if anyone thinks demand would drop if the race medals weren't guaranteed?

Agree 100%. I did virtual races in 2020 and 2021 to keep motivated. I can't see ever paying for a virtual race again now that in person running is back.
Im doing the summer series with my daughter. She is a bit too prone to giving up for me to fly her to a race in person. So I'm using these as a way for her to show me she is ready.

Other than that, I agree. Much rather do the in person.

The price is just soo expensive for being virtual. Like why are the longer race more expensive than the shorter ones?? It is a shirt and medal... if I did not get in (well I first try to fund raise) but if nothing else worked I would just save my money and try for princess.
To expand on this, the price of the virtual option was *much* cheaper than it is now. When I signed up for SW Rival Run for 2021, the cost of the challenge (half and 10k, three medals) was $435. They switched to virtual, and so I decided to pay for the virtual challenge (also three medals), this cost $135. I was fine with it because the SW race wasn't coming back, I was unhappy about it, and this was at least something. Now if you miss out on Dopey in-person for $660, you can pay $510 for the virtual option. That is a heavy markup.

Im doing the summer series with my daughter. She is a bit too prone to giving up for me to fly her to a race in person. So I'm using these as a way for her to show me she is ready.

Other than that, I agree. Much rather do the in person.
Now that is a great reason to do a virtual! My son caught the runDisney bug this marathon weekend and doing the 5/10 with me again in 2023 but if he were younger I could see doing a virtual.

I gave myself all day to think about signing up with them but apparently waited to long and now they’re full. 😞
Dopey sold out in 9 minutes for Team in Training. I know this now because apparently they do NOT have a Dopey bib for me because of a registration glitch. It's contagious y'all!

I believe most all of the other races sold out shortly thereafter anyway, so you would have had to jump quickly yesterday when it opened.

To expand on this, the price of the virtual option was *much* cheaper than it is now. When I signed up for SW Rival Run for 2021, the cost of the challenge (half and 10k, three medals) was $435. They switched to virtual, and so I decided to pay for the virtual challenge (also three medals), this cost $135. I was fine with it because the SW race wasn't coming back, I was unhappy about it, and this was at least something. Now if you miss out on Dopey in-person for $660, you can pay $510 for the virtual option. That is a heavy markup.

I wonder if it's not a lack of demand for the virtual races but near unlimited supply? As fat manatee points out, this is a heavy markup. Combine this with the frustration on social media (and on here) with how the in person registration was handled, Disney may have an incentive not to artificially reduce supply - at least for the first few days of the virtual races being on sale. Let anyone who wants to register do so through the weekend. We're still over 8 months away - I'm sure Disney hasn't placed final orders for the medals and shirts yet.

So true... I did the 5k during pandemic cause why not, but now I am doing in person mostly... I caved for the frozen virtuals but that is priced more reasonable then these races....

I wouldn't have signed up for the virtual races either. I signed up for virtual races once live races were being cancelled (not just Disney, but a number of virtual "challenges" in my area) to get me motivated and out of the slump I had gotten in, and it really did help, but now that live races are back I wouldn't be in a rush to do them again. I see the appeal for some that can't come to WDW and want that motivation that I needed then, but if I had the ability to get there but just got shut out of registration I'd wait for another live race weekend.

I'm another that would not have registered for the virtual. I think @deadvc is on to something regarding the Instagram value.

I've been wondering if the demand for in person would be as high if they were true finisher medals and not just participation medals. I realize I'm stepping into a sticky subject here and I'm not trying to take sides, just speculating for discussions sake.

If people were just after the medal and not the running, they could register for the virtual and save some money. However, those medals arrive weeks later and you miss the opportunity to post all those bling photos on race day.

There's been a lot of chatter on social media about people registering for Dopey with no intention to train. Everyone here knows what a bad idea that is. But I'm assuming those people are just after their medal photos, although they won't get Dopey if they can't finish... So maybe they will train?

Apparently I have no clear point and just wanted to ramble some thoughts to anyone that would listen. I'd be curious if anyone thinks demand would drop if the race medals weren't guaranteed?
I did the 2022 Princess and Springtime challenges and there were no runner photos taken either time. When they sent us to the left to get our challenge medals at the end of both races they just handed us the medal. No laptops, no tables, just medal racks set up just like the ones at the finish line and a small group of volunteers handing them out. As long as you had a challenge bib you could've received your challenge medal, whether or not you even showed up for the first race(s). I guess in that case they were guaranteed. I wonder if checking for completion of the challenges will ever resume, or if they'll just continue to do it this way out of convenience.

I had to go to the rundisney site just now to verify your claim. I just did not believe they would charge so much for something that costs so little and is so easy to manage.

But of course you were right.

Honestly as I think about it more I wonder if this isn't them testing the waters on a VERY popular theme to see what they can get away with. One thing I think we all have learned about Disney is that if they think it won't impact the demand they won't blush at cranking up the prices. If people are willing to pay $510 for 6 medals and 6 t-shirts that is a -very- easy money stream for them. Especially since, as @marty3d points out, they almost certainly haven't placed their orders yet.

This past year we were in the hot tub at BR and there was a 24 year old soaking his feet. Strapping kid, good shape, decided to do Goofy with his dad. He was saying how sore his feet were after the half that morning. "I'm on my feet all day, I work in a warehouse." Ok, everyone in there starts listening. Of course we ask "Have you done this before". Find out he ran a 2;25 half and had never gone above a 10K before and did no training. Just kept reiterating that he worked on his feet all day. A lot of raised eyebrows LOL. I don't know what happened the next day, they left right after the race I think. They were getting on a plane 3 hours after the marathon which also got a few puzzled looks. Anyway, long way of saying that anyone who plans on attempting Dopey and not train is going to pay for it.

I agree with this. Over the last two years I have done (counting Dopey 2021) 10 virtual races and also virtually raced around the world with our DIS team. I did enjoy all those experiences, but if I am being honest virtual Dopey 2021 was difficult for me. I actually simulated the real events, getting up and starting each distance at 5:30am over the four days. I played the Disney music shared by runDisney and wore pervious year race shirts. But this was on the streets of my home town here in mid-Michigan (not exactly warm central Florida in January...) Ultimately, I felt proud of the effort in completing each distance. But I also felt disconnected and missed the race day experience. Maybe if I had been at the parks and running around on the trails and paths it would have felt a little better? If I had not been one of the lucky ones on Tuesday I would have signed up for the virtuals, but I got lucky! I think I have had enough virtual racing to last a while.

Im not sure how many people are aware that you still get a medal even if you don’t finish, the only reason I know about that is through here. On the other hand: people underestimating the training, or maybe thinking they could walk their way through Dopey? Yes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter