Marathon Weekend 2025

SAFD:
Hmmm. Disney races are what immediately come to mind, so I’m trying to think of races in the “other” category.
5K - The Georgia Tech Pi Mile race. 3.14259 miles around the Tech campus, and apparently one of the longer running 5Ks.
10k - The Peachtree Road Race. 50 to 60 thousand of my closest friends running down Peachtree. It is 6+ miles of party, music, and celebration. I don’t even bother with earbuds for that race anymore.

MCM is checked off the to-do list, and NYC marathon is on my wish list. The Space Coast race sounds fun, so it’s loosely on a to-do list.
Oh, and Charleston bridge run.

Last edited:
Outside of Disney races, I've really enjoyed trail runs. Atlanta had a great trail run series when I lived out there, and there was a mountain bike park (Blanket's Creek) and a mountain (Kennesaw Mountain) that were perfect training, and a lot more enjoyable than running the roads.

Peachtree was fun, RnR Nashville is a good time, and the Seattle Marathon were all good, but outside of Disney, I like trails.

SAFD: I’ve always run just for fun and health. So I’ve only done a few 5ks locally. My first big race was the Shamrock Marathon in VA Beach. I signed up to do the 50th in 2022. This year will be my third time. Hoping to get another PR. Hoping for decent weather, this race is notorious for having bad weather (wind, rain, cold).
The races that I love tend to be on the outer banks of NC. I grew up fishing with my father on the outer banks, so that gives the region a strong emotional pull for me. Chief among the ones that I've run are Blackbeard's Revenge 100k/100m
Blackbeard’s Revenge is a bucket list one for me. If I ever decide to go into the ultra marathon distance, this will probably be my first since it’s so close to me.
And OBX is the best! Vacation there every year.

SAFD:
I do not have a favorite non-Disney run. I've only run a handful of other races, and they don't qualify for "favorite" status because I've only run them once (a half that ended up being half trail and poorly marked, and a full that I finished dead last) OR it's the local july 4th 5k, and that course is a crime against running with 100ft+ of vertical gain between miles 1.3 and 1.6, and you don't really get it back in a place you can run all out (through a dirt/seasonal road that is usually washed out and dicey.)

Last edited:

SAFD: I have several to mention. The best marathons that I’ve run were Chicago and MCM. I love doing Peachtree—it wouldn’t feel like July 4 without it. It usually comes around the same time in January as MW, but the Louisiana Marathon/Half/Quarter/5k races are fantastic! You get two days of food, drink, music, and great courses. Gasparilla and Space Coast are both good ones. Our local half marathon, AthHalf (Athens, Georgia), is terrific. It’s in October, so the weather is usually good, and there are bands all along the course and at the finish party.

SAFD: Tough question…but I’m going with a local for my favorite…Step Up for Stefanie held in Columbus, OH. Proceeds benefit the Stefanie Speilman Fund and the Ohio State University’s Stefanie Speilman Breast Cancer Center.

Over the years, the course ran on the OSU campus and surrounding neighborhoods. Being an OSU alum, it is fun to “go home again” as well an honor to remember Stefanie’s life and legacy as a vocal and passionate advocate for breast cancer research and patient care.

Looks like there are several fellow Georgians here! 😊

SAFD: I ran the AthHalf last year and really enjoyed it. Lots of spectators, live music etc. it was a challenging (hilly!) course, but a far better atmosphere than other races I have run. It is definitely on my list to do again!
Sounds like I need to check out Peachtree this year too!

SAFD: Tough question to answer.
My favorite local-ish race (3 hours away) is the Route 66 Marathon. I have ran it every year since I started running marathons (8 years + one virtual). It’s at a good time of year for me, the weather is usually pretty good, and crowd support is good for a smaller (non-major marathon). There are usually decent perks for Maniacs and Fanatics. This past year seemed a little lacking, but I’ll give them a pass for a year.

Other good city races - Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon and Fargo Marathon are both good races. Chicago was awesome with the crowd support the entire race.

I do really like my small scenic races. Mount Desert Island and Columbia Gorge Marathons were beautiful and fun.
And Jack and Jill Marathon was a great gentle downhill through the forest that will probably always be my marathon PR. I thought it was really well organized too.

SAFD: I run for Disney so can’t say I have much experience with other races. The Peachtree Road Race has always been a great time, but we’ve been planning our summer vacations during that week so haven’t run it in many years. I’ll do some of the other Atlanta Track Club races (Atlanta 10 miler and Thanksgiving half) if around - they are OK, but I can’t really say they are all that fun?

Maybe someday when the kids are out of the house we can make time for some of these cool races being mentioned!

SAFD: I enjoyed all the races I participated in, big or small. Some of them allowed me to see a destination with different eyes. Some of them were simple and local but the enthusiasm of the organizers was contagious. I guess that my favourites are the ones I keep going back to.

Ottawa Race Weekend in May. Always super hot weather but well organized and pretty scenic. Runners and spectators really give this positive vibe to the town.

Petit Train du Nord at the beginning of October. It is a fast race, a straight line slightly downhill in a mostly paved path. The Fall foliage is gorgeous every time.

New York City Marathon. I only went once but it is another level of everything. It takes a full day and quite a bit of logistics so I don’t know if I will do it again. It wouldn’t be that hard to convince me.

I wish I could pinpoint one in Montreal. They are generally good, just not wow right now.

SAFD: This is a hard question! I've done over 20 non-Disney half marathons. But besides Disney, the only one I've ever repeated is my local half 10 mins from my house because the convenience can't be beat.

My cop-out answer is that my favorite is a new-to-me half marathon in a place I've never run before with an interesting course, easy logistics, good post-race food, cool bling and bonus points for free beer!

SAFD:

My favorite race weekend is Flying Pig in Cincinnati. It is my half PR and I'm never touching that speed again so it will stay that way. I haven't done it in a few years but the whole city comes out and there are events all weekend. The course is difficult but if you are good on downhills you will make up the time, hence my PR.

I've done the 3-way once and we want to go down and do the Flying Fur with our dog one of these days.

Someone mentioned Gasparilla and that is probably my number 2. It was my first ever 5K in 2005 and I've only been back once to do the half but I love the theme and it runs through my favorite part of Tampa.

Just found out that All Star Music has family suites. Has anyone stayed in one? What are your thoughts? I like AoA suites but the price is better on these.

I stayed in one for W&D weekend 2018. They were a little run down and in need of some paint and carpet but they were the cheapest suite on property. They basically ripped the wall down between two rooms and combined them so you have two bathrooms which is nice.

We are doing a split stay in June (my first ever) and the first half is at All-Star Sports. All things being equal I'd prefer to stay off property at that price point and get the Marriott points but since we are passholders this year, likely for the only time unless something drastic happens, so we are taking advantage of the discount.

SAFD:
For local races, it's the Pittsburgh 10 Miler. I love that distance and it's a fun course. It's the reverse of the first 10 miles of the marathon course and the last three are pretty flat so it's a fast finish. I've done it ever year they've held it since 2012.

Chicago and Steamtown (Scranton) Marathons are my two other favorite races. The atmosphere in Chicago is great. It's just wall to wall people the entire course. For a small, volunteer run marathon, Steamtown is one of the best operated I've seen. Especially given they have to bus everyone 26 miles away from the start. Fast course but it's a tough one given the downhill beating your legs take the first half and the hills the last few miles.

SAFD:

Ottawa Race Weekend in May. Always super hot weather but well organized and pretty scenic. Runners and spectators really give this positive vibe to the town.
SAFD: I'll second Ottawa Race Weekend. The half and full cross the bridge into Quebec so getting to run in 2 provinces is a lot of fun. Unbelievable support form spectators on both sides of the river.

I want to do the Detroit International half this year - the idea of running in race in both Canada and the US sounds amazing.

Also on my bucket list are NYC, LV and ANY race in Hawaii.

SAFD: I choose Boston for many reasons. First, I'm a native Mass-hole, so even though I was not a runner til much later in adulthood, it still has an emotional pull and I followed the exploits of others (Bill Rogers, the Hoyts). Second, running Boston the first time was something I never would have thought would happen to me. Not running the distance, not qualifying, none of it. So I do feel a sense of pride/accomplishment.

And that first race gave me so many memories: From seeing my first "male runners peeing in the woods" (outside Hopkinton HS), my ears ringing when I passed Wellesley college, passing Fenway asking the score of the game, my daughter meeting me in Kenmore Square for a hug and to take my running belt before that last mile, seeing a couple of my sisters in the crowd as I went" right on Hereford, left on Boylston."

born and raised a Mass-hole 😂 Grew up near the Hoyts and always saw them at local races. Boston is my dream race, but I’d have to fundraise. I’m just not fast enough.

SAFD: I run very few non-Disney races. Best post race party goes to Space Coast. Unlimited pizza and beer? Heck yeah!!!! Best goosebumps can’t believe I’m actually here race goes to Chicago Marathon.

SAFD: BolderBoulder is my fav 10k. It is a huge party the whole way.... I have never seen soo much alcohol and food given out for free on a race course... it is just a huge party.
My fav Half is Colfax Half Marathon. Love that I got to run through the Denver Zoo and is a huge race with lots of support and ends with a big party.
Boulder Boulder is also on my bucket list! Seems like such a fun race! Too many races, not enough weekends 😂

SAFD: Favorite race weekend is the Hilton Head Island 5k/Half/Full. We fell in love with HHI about 15 years ago when we bought DVC and stayed at the Disney resort there, and it is within driving distance for us so we have made many trips there over the years. I have done the half twice (actually just signed up for next year yesterday!) - it's a mostly flat course, and there is plenty of free beer and live music at the finish. Also a great excuse to visit my favorite place!
Favorite non-Disney marathon I've run is Chicago - I'm working my way through the majors and so far Chicago is my favorite.

SAFD: I’m going to cheat and smuggle a few in to my answer
5k: Saint Arnold Art Car - run by a great local brewery and ends with free beer and breakfast tacos
10k: Beach to Beacon - my hometown race, a gorgeous course, and good post race party
Half: Dubai Creek Striders - the oldest one in Dubai with a course touring the Creek and the old souq area, plus a great post race breakfast
Full: Richmond - Loved all the ones I’ve done around the world, but Richmond was my first and will always be special
Short ultra: Two Oceans - another beautiful course, down along the Indian Ocean and back along the Atlantic
Long ultra: Comrades - largest and oldest ultra there is, with a very tough course, fantastic atmosphere, and an entire country watching it all live on TV.

SAFD: Normally I stick with local races in New Hampshire and New England to incorporate with my training for my Disney races. With that said, I enjoy the local races as they are much quieter and more relaxing compared to Disney (sometimes I don't see other runners for a couple of minutes amid a race! Imagine!). My favorite distance is 10K, a happy medium I feel for a lot of runners. I also love the local races that take advantage of the coast, for example, the Restore 10K in Seaport, MA I did last April, there is nothing better than running along the water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter