Marathon Weekend Weather

cewait

DIS Veteran
OK, OK I know that a 15 day forecast can be a little more than the weather guru wetting his finger, point it up and then speaking. But then these are the same type models we seem to want to attach the energy economy of our country to (sorry about the editorial). But the weekend is now within the 15 day window.

I posted a 30 outlook of wet during the week prior to the marathon but dry during the weekend and colder than norm temps.
The long range forecast models seem to hold this but cannot decide how powerful a late week front will be. They are bouncing between average (the default) and cold. Thursday morning the 5k temp was 39, yesterday the 5 k and half temps were 50 then today back around 40. That is better than last year when they were bouncing between warm and normal at this time.

Accuweather
5k Start 40F – Feel Real 27
Half Start 39F – Feel Real 31
Full Start 40F – Feel Real 34

Weatherforyou
5k Start 38F
Half Start 43F
Full Start 50F

:). Accu weather was the first thing I checked this am! I am not holding my breath too much, but it is so cool to see the 1/2 in the 15 day window! Let the countdown begin...

I can't speak for 15 days time but.......it's freezing down here now!!!!!!

I will be wearing my Cold Gear top today, when we go to the parks.

We also have the heating on!!!!!!!!!!

OK, testing my outfit for the race, making sure everything fits OK. Did we have a WISH order for snowmobile suits?

images

What do you think? Even though I can't put my arms down I should be OK, right?

Duane
(from South Florida)

WOOHOOO :woohoo:

Considering our training has been below 32 degrees - this seems warm...

However, our cold weather running gear is NOT throwaway stuff... so do we run with long pants, long sleeves, or by the time the sun comes out we'll want to shed that gear!!

:yay: I cant wait!!

WOOHOOO :woohoo:

Considering our training has been below 32 degrees - this seems warm...

However, our cold weather running gear is NOT throwaway stuff... so do we run with long pants, long sleeves, or by the time the sun comes out we'll want to shed that gear!!

:yay: I cant wait!!

You WILL want to get some throw away stuff from Walmart or Goodwill, etc. I have a set of gray sweatshirt warmups that I have carried for about 6 years and never used. You need to cut slits up the leg on the pants to allow removing them with shoes on - it's a good idea to practice this as you will be doing this in the corral if worn out to the corral.

I also have a supply of old cotton long sleeve race shirts that I wear as an outter layer. I have worn this shirt the entire race when cold enough...and to the Space Mountain uturn (mile 10 full mile 4 half) at least 4 times when the wind is out of the north.

Finally I have a 1990's wind suit that I wear in the gathering area then pack into my checked bag and check. It is really not worth keeping but it is so handy for times when you are not moving much.

For the wind I have a trash sack. Note that the expo will have a vendor with a recycled Tyvek paint suit. They are notched so they can be ripped off easily. You can also pick up a really cool pair of white painter gloves at the expo.

Once the race starts I will dispose of everything but the old longsleeved shirt and gloves. MAKE SURE you trash gets across the fence so those behind you will not trip.

I usually plan on running temps that are the average of the low and high. The most I have ever worn beneath the trow away stuff has been a long sleeved tech shirt, a regular tech shirt and tights. Oh and an ear band and gloves. I will be down to that usually as we leave MK. Only once have I really regretted not having more and that was in 06 when I was in the shade on Osceola and the wind gusted a bit. My tights chilled teh muscle on the down wind side creating a cramp issue.

The only other times I needed more was my first Disney event when a front came in during the race and the year is rained. For all the things Disney is, it is not a grreat place to run after a diluge and I really needed dry shoes.

Thanks Charles - no rain deluge please!!

I also like the head band, and gloves. also something with pockets since I need kleenex.... when its cold my nose runs as well!! :laughing:

I appreciate you sharing your experience in this unknown world going from Chicago to Florida is a bit confusing. In '08 I was prepared, but it was so humid, no warm weather clothing was needed (until the Monday after the race I think!!)

BTW - where do you put your bib number?

Thanks Charles - no rain deluge please!!

I also like the head band, and gloves. also something with pockets since I need kleenex.... when its cold my nose runs as well!! :laughing:

I appreciate you sharing your experience in this unknown world going from Chicago to Florida is a bit confusing. In '08 I was prepared, but it was so humid, no warm weather clothing was needed (until the Monday after the race I think!!)

BTW - where do you put your bib number?

Great Q on the bib because on a cold morning mild noon daya you must think about it.

Rule #1 - it must be easily seen/found for entry past the baggage tents and into the corrals. ALso ASI will not be able to ID your race photos.... So it must be on a layer you expect to keep the entire race.

I have never pinned to the shirt/top in a race for just those reasons but also because I ruined a fairly new tech shirt in a 5 k once.

I tend to go with:

shorts waist band - making sure to leave enough slop so the if I need a personal break I will not rip the bib when stretching the elastice out to come up with the shorts.

You can pin to shorts leg but I always found the to be uncomfortable

Sonce starting Triathlons I have adopted a number belt. The one I use is from Fuel Belt and includes loops for gels.

http://www.fuelbelt.com/accessories/race.html

Fuel belt has gotten smart and started offering number belts with a pouch, also.

Oh - Running noses - that's what the back of the glove is for.

Oh boy! It's time! I was just looking up this info and then came here to see the discussion has begun! Whoo hoo! Loving the cooler temps for the race only.

Oh boy! It's time! I was just looking up this info and then came here to see the discussion has begun! Whoo hoo! Loving the cooler temps for the race only.

Same here about race day only. I remember one of my early years literally shivering the entire trip. We would get up and the landscaping crews would just be completing the nightly re-setting of flowering plants that were wiped out the night before.

Same here about race day only. I remember one of my early years literally shivering the entire trip. We would get up and the landscaping crews would just be completing the nightly re-setting of flowering plants that were wiped out the night before.
I know how that is! I want heat even if it includes the races. I will trade 2 race day heat for hot week. Don't want 2 cold race days and a cold week :(

Yuck, the models have swung back to 'normal' with a front coming on Sunday.

Funny, since the weekend started showing up it gone from cold on the first forecast (Friday morning only), normal on the second forecast (Friday & Saturday), cold on the third forecast (Fri, Sat, SUN) and now normal again on the 4th.

Forecast as of 12/27 AM
lower 60's all race days with a chance of rain on Sunday as a front comes through.

Forecast as of 12/27 AM
lower 60's all race days with a chance of rain on Sunday as a front comes through.

I can take the cold and the heat, but not the rain. That would be miserable. Remember 2 years ago it rained right after the half then pretty much rained the rest of the day and evening. It was calling for rain during the marathon at that point. I remember sitting with my boss at dinner watching it rain. This was both of ours first marathon too.

But, even though it was 98% humidity it didn't rain for the full until the very end. We were lucky but probably ended up being as wet as if it rained. It was so humid that day.

Does anyone know if the race was ever rained out? I know they will run in the rain but will stop it because of lighting right?

enjoy,
Duane

If its just cloud lightning then the race will go ahead, but if it hits the ground within 10 miles then it will be called off.

WDW monitor the weather all the time, if its "just passing through" they will hold the start, and long front, or during the race and it will be pulled.

never been rained out or lightninged out either. Syko is correct that they will follow Disney guidelines on lightning, though I was not aware of the cloud to cloud versus cloud to ground. Interesting, I just thought any lightning.

I just know from 03 and various morning runs I have had on business trips that Disney is NOT a great wet weather run. Places like Main and AK puddle badly, the sidewalk from DHS to the Epcot Reorts becomes a river in spots and the boards in the walkway at YCR are slick.

Duane, I think the worst case scenario would be the rain proceeding a front followed by a 10-15F temp drop during the race. I think the aid tents and sweepers would be overly busy.

Well the front’s arrival will be moved all over the place over the next week so its too early to get too worked up.

Just found this: The Walt Disney World ® Lightning Policy is as follows: Event operations will shut downwhen lightning is 6 miles out from the eventareas.
Event operations will not resume untilthe lightning is 6 miles out moving away fromthe event areas. The Sports Manager willdetermine this using the *Flash to Bang Rule* and weather radar.
The Sports Manager will consult with the Theme Park and ResortPartners and Walt Disney World ® Securityon a course of action to utilize the operationalrain plan, delay the event, or cancel the event.
*Flash to Bang Rule* is applied by measuringthe time (in seconds) between a visuallightning “Flash” and hearing the resulting “Bang”.
This time is then divided by a factor of “5” to obtain distance in miles. For example, 30 seconds between “Flash” and “Bang” divided by “5” equals 6 miles.

You do not normally get the bang in cloud lightning, and I have seen them keep the rides open during it.

I seem to recall reading some race reports of a recent rain deluge - Animal Kingdom? It was supposed to be some kind of "hunt"? and race??? and it was called off in the middle because of the awful rain - but it wasnt communicated well - -

Rain, Lightening, it must be a concern - guess we wont have to worry about the heat - like they did in Oct a few years back at the Chicago Marathon!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter