Marriott joining WDW nixing small toiletries

They are still providing small bars of facial soap and bath soap.

While staying at The Marriott, they did have bar soap at the sink and also the small body lotion in a plastic bottle.

I sure hope they continue to provide soap at the bathroom sink...if not....ewwww.
There's probably a lot of people who don't pack a bar. I do because I prefer the brand I use.
Not providing something that is used for sanitary reasons is different than complimentary toiletries.

A soap bar used for the shower would be complimentary toiletries, a soap used to wash your hands after you've gone to the bathroom is used for sanitary reasons.

No one has ever said there was no hand soap in the room. Of course they will not stop soap. Lotion and soap are far from being in the category. Lotion is not a hygiene product.

We stayed at a Drury a few weeks ago and they also had wall mounted toiletries. I’m not sure if this is something new for this chain as we’ve never stayed in one before. Anyway, I do like the wall mounted toiletries. With them, there are no little bottles to fumble around with, lids to take off and put on, and most importantly, they are already in the shower for the first person taking a shower eliminating the dreaded yell from the shower, “Mom, I forgot to grab the shampoo. Can you get it for me?” Grrrrrr......

Geez I didn't say they weren't providing hand soap. I said not having it would be gross. Don't put words in my mouth.

What I find curious is how everyone raked Disney over the coals for this. How cheap they are. How horrible and unsanitary this is. Still feel the same as it becomes industry standard? Seems a certain segment can’t accept that it’s really for the environment.

Yes, I still feel it’s unsanitary and resent having to pack my own. Even if every hotel in the world does it, I think it’s disgusting. You don’t know what someone has touched before touching that dispenser. It’s as bad as the old days when the little toiletries didn’t have seals to show when they’d been tampered with. I didn’t use those either.

I am not going to compromise my health for the sake of the environment.

If they really wanted to help the environment and keep things sanitary they could use the touch free dispensers. The restrooms in our office building have touch free soap and touch free towel dispensers. Those I use.

Yes, I still feel it’s unsanitary and resent having to pack my own. Even if every hotel in the world does it, I think it’s disgusting. You don’t know what someone has touched before touching that dispenser. It’s as bad as the old days when the little toiletries didn’t have seals to show when they’d been tampered with. I didn’t use those either.

I am not going to compromise my health for the sake of the environment.

If they really wanted to help the environment and keep things sanitary they could use the touch free dispensers. The restrooms in our office building have touch free soap and touch free towel dispensers. Those I use.

I sleep in a bed that probably thousands of others have slept in and done God knows what. Touching a soap dispenser that should be wiped down between stays just doesn't worry me. Touch free doesn't mean they aren't touched.

We stayed at a Drury a few weeks ago and they also had wall mounted toiletries. I’m not sure if this is something new for this chain as we’ve never stayed in one before. Anyway, I do like the wall mounted toiletries. With them, there are no little bottles to fumble around with, lids to take off and put on, and most importantly, they are already in the shower for the first person taking a shower eliminating the dreaded yell from the shower, “Mom, I forgot to grab the shampoo. Can you get it for me?” Grrrrrr......

Drury has had the wall mounted toiletries for at least 3 years now. We go to St. Louis 1-2x per year and stay at the one by the ballpark. I like the wall mounted dispensers there and haven’t gotten any weird diseases from using them. I actually think they’re more convenient than the tiny bottles. I have long, thick hair and those little bottles don’t go very far!

Drury has had the wall mounted toiletries for at least 3 years now. We go to St. Louis 1-2x per year and stay at the one by the ballpark. I like the wall mounted dispensers there and haven’t gotten any weird diseases from using them. I actually think they’re more convenient than the tiny bottles. I have long, thick hair and those little bottles don’t go very far!

That’s so funny! The one we stayed at was in St. Louis, right by the Arch, but close to the ballpark, too. Maybe the same one.

I’m from PA and we don’t have any Drury hotels around here and I’ve never come across one in my travels. I wasn’t sure how long they’ve had the wall mounted toiletries.

Thanks for enlightening me. :rolleyes2
Well you said "I sure hope they continue to provide soap at the bathroom sink...if not....ewwww."

If you hadn't said eww connected with bathroom sink, I wouldn't have responded as that along with your wording made it sound like you were concerned they would get to a point where they wouldn't provide something for sanitary reasons. Apologies, I was just going off your wording.

That’s so funny! The one we stayed at was in St. Louis, right by the Arch, but close to the ballpark, too. Maybe the same one.

I’m from PA and we don’t have any Drury hotels around here and I’ve never come across one in my travels. I wasn’t sure how long they’ve had the wall mounted toiletries.

Yep, that’s the one! I think it’s mostly a Midwest chain and I believe they are based out of Missouri. We started staying there after our son was born. It’s about a 2.75 hour drive, so just far enough that it’s not very convenient to get there and back in the same day with a little one.

I sure hope they continue to provide soap at the bathroom sink...if not....ewwww.
There's probably a lot of people who don't pack a bar. I do because I prefer the brand I use.

So... you want them to provide soap that you're not going to use because you've brought your own. Because if not, ewwww?

Gotcha.

I would be so much happier if they provided no plastic wrapped anything, and you just requested what you need from Mousekeeping...

We actually always pack our own pump soap to use at the bathroom sink because I’ve found that there isn’t always a tray to place the bar soap, so it makes the counter all icky, and if there is a tray it gets pretty slimy, too.

Honestly, with the hundreds of brands of shampoos available and people's individual preferences, it seems like most experienced travelers already bring their own toiletries anyway.

I disagree. Although I do, I am in the minority of people who actually check my bags. The majority of travelers now bring a small suitcase as their carryon and anything over 3 oz is allowed. Many still use he hotels hair products and lotions.

I would be so much happier if they provided no plastic wrapped anything, and you just requested what you need from Mousekeeping...

Just came back from a 2 week trip. I bring my own plastic grocery bags and use them as liners in the trash bins. OCD thing. By the 3rd day, mousekeeping was putting their own plastic bags in the trash bins for me. I never asked (or even saw mousekeeping), they just started doing it.

I disagree. Although I do, I am in the minority of people who actually check my bags. The majority of travelers now bring a small suitcase as their carryon and anything over 3 oz is allowed. Many still use he hotels hair products and lotions.
Did you mean to say anything over 3 oz (well it would be 3.4oz) is not allowed when using a carry on?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter