• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marriott Timeshare?

Thanks for the info. :cheer2:

How long have your friends been waiting to hear from Marriott? What are they looking to purchase? Do you think mine is a good deal? I do plan on trying to trade into Hawaii a lot if possible. :hourglass

Our friends are waiting on hearing on a Marriott Horizons week. It's only been a few weeks. I won't post too much publicly because I don't want it to get too much attention on a public board. I'm crossing my fingers for them, though. And for you, too. pixiedust: I think it's a great deal if you can get it for that price.

"Part of GV is not in the Fl Club if this is an issue."

Dean, Thanks for all the info.

What do you mean that part of Grande Vista is not in the FL Club? I do not anticipate ever staying at the home resort and meerly want to use it to trade with II for the Marriott priority, however I have traded with II for my current property @ the Palm SPrings Tennis club and gotten into Marriott Newport and Westin Maui (2 x's)...maybe I was just lucky!

GV has two codes and I believe that is how you know whether your unit is in or not. It is certainly something to know for sure before you buy. Because you get charged the FL club membership fee whether you use the club or not. And from what I hear having it is a heck of a lot easier than using if you are GV trading to a beach resort with the booking restrictions MVCI has set it up.

So it sounds like you're saying, if the deal is legit, that it is too good to pass up...??

This transaction was started over a year ago however the closing company advised the seller and I that it had to go through Florida probate which has been just completed. The owner passed away and the daughter inherited it.

It is a 2 bedroom 2 bath lock off. 2007 Maintenenace fees and taxes were already paid in full, $790/ year.

Gold Season which is May, Sept, Oct, Nov, and Dec. II shows it trades RED year round.

Thanks again for all your advice!
It's the best deal I've seen at GV in a number of years. But the question is whether it's for you. If you do buy it make sure you learn the system and plan far ahead. As for the FL Club, I think it's a waste of time for most situations. One can do much better through II than using the FL club due to the fact you can't use the club options until 6 months out and the locations are limited. But it would afford you the ability to get something else to deposit with II if you wanted to trade to DVC.

Jim, I don't think that's accurate about the codes and even if it is, it wouldn't help on a purchase as the code is not listed on the legal documentation. I'd think one would have to talk to Marriott owner services or more likely, Owner Modification, to ask about this issue and get a stright answer.

Meaning...ROFR is hardly used w/ a Marriott...
DVC protects us so well...

I bought a GV Marriott last year

Platinum, 2 bedroom lock off contract, $7500.00 and it passed ROFR w/ Marriott.

Meaning...ROFR is hardly used w/ a Marriott...
DVC protects us so well...

I bought a GV Marriott last year

Platinum, 2 bedroom lock off contract, $7500.00 and it passed ROFR w/ Marriott.
Marriott has been a lot more active the last couple of years with ROFR. While there may be some secondary benefits to members related to ROFR but ROFR is about $$$. Generally protecting the retail sale price.

Then how can you explain how I bought a Marriott that retails for about $35-40K new?
I have the Florida club, new section, platinum, 2 bedroom lock off, etc.

I don't see any DVC resorts for $40,000.00 selling re-sale for $7K?

I didn't even want the Marriott, but couldn't pass up the deal...
I hope for my sake Marriott starts hitting ROFR real hard....

Dean, I'm totally lost when it comes to Marriott, trading, etc. Is there any goods sites to get info on Marriotts? How i can use it , trade it, etc.?

I LOVE this DVC site....it is the best for information...it can make anyone an expert on DVC!!!
THANKS!!

I checked TSS listings for GV. They have a 2 bedroom lock off gold season for $8,000. They have a 3 bedroom lock off gold season for $11500 and they have a 2 bedroom platinum for $13,990.

The deals mentioned here sound good. Gv is a fine resort.

Then how can you explain how I bought a Marriott that retails for about $35-40K new?
I have the Florida club, new section, platinum, 2 bedroom lock off, etc.

I don't see any DVC resorts for $40,000.00 selling re-sale for $7K?

I didn't even want the Marriott, but couldn't pass up the deal...
I hope for my sake Marriott starts hitting ROFR real hard....

Dean, I'm totally lost when it comes to Marriott, trading, etc. Is there any goods sites to get info on Marriotts? How i can use it , trade it, etc.?

I LOVE this DVC site....it is the best for information...it can make anyone an expert on DVC!!!
THANKS!!
I don't have the numbers in front of me but retail at GV for a 2 BR platinum is not in the $35-40K range, more in the $20K range. Marriott does not have ROFR on much of GV from what I'm told but I wouldn't be surprised if they let that deal go through. It's a very good deal but not as good a deal by far as the one that started this thread. I've seen Platinum for $5K a couple of times at GV.

As for trading Marriott we may want to take that off line to avoid getting further off the intent of these boards. Why don't you email or PM me directly.

Update:
Today I committed to buy the Marriott Grande Vista 2+2 Lock Off - Gold Season for $3000. They are including the 2007 week and not having us pay the maint. fee.

I'll let you know if Marriott exercises it ROFR.

Thanks for all you advice

Yes, definitely keep us posted. popcorn:: popcorn::

I've noticed Marriott timeshare auctions on Ebay going for quite a bit less this year vs. last year. So maybe the slowdown on housing prices has crossed over a little bit to timeshares. ;)

Update:
Today I committed to buy the Marriott Grande Vista 2+2 Lock Off - Gold Season for $3000. They are including the 2007 week and not having us pay the maint. fee.

I'll let you know if Marriott exercises it ROFR.

Thanks for all you advice
IF they have ROFR on that unit they will take it, if not, you got a GREAT deal. Do let us know.

IF they have ROFR on that unit they will take it, if not, you got a GREAT deal. Do let us know.

Is there any way I can figure out if Marriott does have the ROFR on this one...If not, I guess I will just have to wait and see..:surfweb:

Just got word last week that Marriott has exercised their First Right of Refusal :(...I have spent so much time researching this to loose this is heartbreaking.

I am getting my closing cost$$ refunded from the closing co.

Funny the seller had originally contaced Marriott Grande Vista directly to see if they would purchase it from her, they said they weren't in the resale business, so no. In the end the snatched it up...

Now I am thinking about just buying a no-namer in Vegas or Palm Springs...

Thanks for all your input!!

Just got word last week that Marriott has exercised their First Right of Refusal :(...I have spent so much time researching this to loose this is heartbreaking.

I am getting my closing cost$$ refunded from the closing co.

Funny the seller had originally contaced Marriott Grande Vista directly to see if they would purchase it from her, they said they weren't in the resale business, so no. In the end the snatched it up...

Now I am thinking about just buying a no-namer in Vegas or Palm Springs...

Thanks for all your input!!
Sorry you lost it, just keep trying. IF Marriott is right for you don't give up because of one ROFR. But do realize that those sweetheart deals are no longer likely to happen.
One word of caution. You were looking at a place with somewhat lower trading power and higher fees (Orlando) and now are mentioning another location with lower trading power (LV) and higher fees (CA desert). I think you may want to reconsider your approach. I'd never buy those locations unless I had a reason for doing so such as using it. Consider buying something you will actually use part of the time. If you do buy CA dessert, make sure you either get prime time or at the lowest something like Gold for Marriott. Given your location, Worldmark points may be a good choice for you to look at. The Utah Marriott properties for Gold season are also a decent deal. Though their fees are high, they are lockoff's. Good luck.

Quimby -- sorry to hear of your ROFR! I understand the disappointment and frustration of losing your time and emotional investments.

Dean said:
Given your location, Worldmark points may be a good choice for you to look at.
DITTO! I entirely agree! We love our WM points (proper term credits) for west coast travel.

I appreciate all of your input so I will outline what we own and use to see if you have any suggestions as to where we should buy...

We currently own at the Palm Springs Tennis Club - 1 bedroom, swing season ( I usually try to book during a red week, Jun 1, which is the earliest I can book) paid $1000 at an auction..Maint. fee approx $650/year

We use bonus time at the resort occasionally. Since I have figured out II I deposit the week and do vacation requests. I have never gotten any requests confirmed, I have just seen weeks come open in the inventory (when searching with my coming years week, dummy week Jan. 1) and jump on them. This tells me that Palm Springs Tennis Club trades good in Jan but not really June since I have had a request in for the exact dates and location that come open in inventory but not confirmed to my vacation request...I hope this makes sense...

I have been lucky for the past few years....
2005 - Marriott Newport Coast Villas.
2006 & 2007 - Westin Kaanapali Villas for the same week in 2007.
2008 - Westin Kaanapali Villas, just confirmed for 11/2008.

We usually try to go to Hawaii every few years, trade of with parents, brother etc...

Any suggestions on a good II trader, besides of course buying in to Hawaii which is outrageous expensive!!
Marriott Hilton Head or NJ?
THANKS!!!!

Any suggestions on a good II trader, besides of course buying in to Hawaii which is outrageous expensive!!
Marriott Hilton Head or NJ?
Well ... please put up with my description of my previous suggestion ... which is neither Marriott HH nor NJ.

Features of Worldmark the Club which should make it worth your review (at the very least):
  • Flexible, points-based system.
  • Trades through II, RCI Weeks and RCI Points. All three methods grant WM owners "search first" cabability. WM is able to pull DVC, Marriots, Four Seasons, Westins, etc when trading through II.
  • WM owners are often offered discounted II renewal rates (2 years for $84).
  • Exchanges during last minute windows (II:59 days, RCI weeks:45 days) are charged only 4000 WM credits regardless of unit size/season booked. Regular exchanges are can be easily determined using published tables (12,000 WM credits for a 3BR in high season ... down to 4000 WM credits for a studio in low season).
  • WM offers 50+ resort locations within the club ... and many more available through affiliate resort programs. BTW, WM does not use a "home resort" model. WM owners may book any of the 50+ club resorts as far as 13 months from check-in. You should find many within an easy drive from SoCAL.
  • WM will soon have 2 properties near Disneyland. :)
  • WM already has 4 in the Hawaiian Islands. (Granted they aren't as fancy as the Westins and Marriotts ... but you may island hop stringing short visits at each WM HI property into a single reservation. There aren't many timeshare products offering that option?)
  • Bonus time rates as low as $30/night (depending on resort, unit size, and season).
  • Online reservations and account mgt.
  • Reasonable dues rates. Current dues rates: Link
    Consider that 10,000 WM credits provides 7-nights, 2BR unit, high season at most resorts ... at just a squeak under $500/year. Not bad?
  • Resale prices ~$0.80/credit plus $150 resort transfer fee. (Should not require expensive, elaborate or time-consuming closing process.)
  • No ROFR process.
  • ... many more reasons ...
Another tip: Join forums on TUG and spend 6-12 months extending your understanding of timeshare options. (My apologies if you are already there ... I haven't read your post history until the recent ROFR experience.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter