Matterhorn back saving tips!

maleficent55

DIS Veteran
I once read somewhere, but there’s a special better way to sit on the Matterhorn mountain that’s easier on your body. And I can’t remember if it was lean forward just a little bit or press all the way back. I’m hoping that somebody can give me a little bit of tips and tricks for my cousin is in her early 40s, but is worried about her back because she’s had a few back issues in the past nothing major though.

She’s also never been on Indiana Jones and I feel like that’s a quintessential ride for her to experience but she has had hip surgery and is worried about the jerkiness of that. In my experience, Indiana Jones is jerky but I don’t remember if it’s pressure or bad for the hips Can anybody remind me or give any tips on that?

One side of the Matterhorn feels less bumpy. Not sure which.

As far as Indy, the worst areas would be sitting on the outside edges as you get more thrown around on those portions.

If she's really worried though, she should skip both rides.

For Matterhorn, lean forward a little bit and don't let your back touch the seat, and hold on to the bar. I did that last time and it was a lot better!
^this! I also use my legs to brace myself a bit. Lol.

I feel like the fantasyland side is less bumpy/jerky. I’m not sure if you can request a side anymore. The last couple trips the CMs direct you to a side to enter.

I also use my legs to brace on Indy.

I once read somewhere, but there’s a special better way to sit on the Matterhorn mountain that’s easier on your body. And I can’t remember if it was lean forward just a little bit or press all the way back. I’m hoping that somebody can give me a little bit of tips and tricks for my cousin is in her early 40s, but is worried about her back because she’s had a few back issues in the past nothing major though.

She’s also never been on Indiana Jones and I feel like that’s a quintessential ride for her to experience but she has had hip surgery and is worried about the jerkiness of that. In my experience, Indiana Jones is jerky but I don’t remember if it’s pressure or bad for the hips Can anybody remind me or give any tips on that?
Just got back from spring break trip and our first family trip to DL. Definitely ride the right side of the track and ask for it once they have you get up to the cast member at the front of the queue. Also follow the advice of leaning forward and not pressing your back against the chair. My kids convinced me to try the left side the next time we did it. The leaning forward helped but it was way bumpier so I would say skip that one. The same advice helped with space mountain.

On Indy, I sat in the middle and also leaned forward, and had no issues. On our last trip to Disney world, space mountain took me out first thing in the morning 😱

Best advice I’ve gotten on this board is to ride Matterhorn like a horse. We have been to DW many times, but just got back this week from our first trip to DL. I had back surgery a few years ago and almost didn’t ride Matterhorn because I was nervous from the stories I heard, but I also hated to skip a classic ride. Once you get on, sit up straight (not leaning against the back) legs spread to the sides a bit and hold on to the bar in front near the headrest of the other person. If I know a jerky or bumpy part is coming up, I try to engage my abs to protect the impact on my back. This stance is similar to what I use for all rough rides - space, Indy, etc. I had no trouble at all - it was a lifesaver!!

With Indiana Jones, politely request to sit in the front row middle seats. I travel with my adult daughter so if we have to sit in seats 1 and 2 and not the direct middle she always sits on the outside and then I sit next to her (trust me it makes a HUGE difference). The first time I rode this many many years ago I rode in the very back and came off with a mild case of whiplash and my neck was sore for the rest of the holiday. I vowed never to go back on it again. Move forward 10 years ( I now have back, knee and hip problems as I am in my 60's) and I decided to give it another try after someone on these boards suggested I try the front row centre seats. I did and I ended riding Indy 6 times. It has now become one of my favourite rides and sitting in the front I never have any problems whatsoever with pain after the ride.

Can't comment on Matterhorn sorry as I always give that on a wide berth for exactly the reasons you are concerned about.

On our last trip to Disney world, space mountain took me out first thing in the morning 😱
Same! I’ve had MAJOR back surgery, and WDW Space is the only thing I can’t ride. My family will ride on repeat while I sit out.

As for Matterhorn, lock your feet in and lean forward a bit. The Fantasyland side slightly smoother.

Okay, all this talk of the Fantasyland side being smoother is freaking me out. I always use Single Rider and always end up on the FL side, and it's pretty rough anyway! I can't imagine what the Tomorrowland side is like! 😦

Best advice I’ve gotten on this board is to ride Matterhorn like a horse.
This exactly!

I lean forward slightly (so I am not touching the back of the seat) and hold on to the bar. I loosen up a little so that I am not fighting hard against the swings and bumps.

Making this change made me go from a Matterhorn one-and-done to hitting my top 3. Big fan now.

Okay, all this talk of the Fantasyland side being smoother is freaking me out. I always use Single Rider and always end up on the FL side, and it's pretty rough anyway! I can't imagine what the Tomorrowland side is like! 😦
Yes. Still pretty rough! Tomorrowland side is worse though! They have a little “dip” when the bobsleds are racing and to me that is the worst! Lol. Gives me a headache every time!

Does anyone know if you can politely ask to ride a certain side? We have lucked out lately and gotten the fantasyland side.

On any rough coaster, the key to a smoother ride is to avoid the “wheel seats” which are generally the front and back rows of each car. For Matterhorn, the wheel seats are rows 1,3,4 and 6.

The ride is noticeably smoother if you get either row 2 or 5.

I have noticed a difference between the two sides but strangely enough I have found the Fantasy Land side just hammers me. I like the left side toward Nemo much better.

There is definitely a difference in the two sides of this coaster. The left side is shorter than the right, and seems to pick up more speed jerking you around more. The right side is little longer, and doesn’t shake you up as bad. As much as I love the thrill of the left side, it’s more enjoyable on the right. Therefore, you should ask to be on the right side when you reach the CM directing you to either side for your ride.

But I think personally, it all comes down to how you sit on the ride. If your back is fully on the backrest of the chair, you will get off the ride needing a chiropractor! I always lean a little forward and hold the handlebars on the seat back in front of you.

Also riding this attraction in the day as opposed to night since you can see what is ahead of you (turns, drops, etc.) definitely helps!

Has it always been this bad? I’m now middle age and things hurt a bit more than they used to but it just seems like this ride was smoother years ago. Maybe when they redid the ride cars and eliminated the lap seat?

Has it always been this bad? I’m now middle age and things hurt a bit more than they used to but it just seems like this ride was smoother years ago. Maybe when they redid the ride cars and eliminated the lap seat?
I have heard that after they fully replaced the track, it sped up the ride which made it harder on the body. I personally am not sure I believe that and think it is probably just people aging. 🤣

Can't speak to Matterhorn as I quit riding it years ago, but at 60 still able to ride Indy front row center without a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter