Maui

I’m feeling so much sadness about what’s happened.

My grandma took me to Hawaii when I was 15 years old (Maui being one of the islands) and I didn’t respect the beauty as I would today.

I can’t even begin to imagine what the residents of this island are feeling. I’m keeping them in my prayers.

Heartbreaking. Maui is one of our favourite vacation spots and have been many times. We always call it Paradise. It’s such a small island and we always felt very comfortable there. Our first trip there was in 1995 and we stayed at the Royal Lahaina. On our subsequent trips we found a hidden gem in a condo in Kihei, but always visited the west side every trip. We wondered how people would evacuate from that area as there is only one road. Feeling very sad for the residents. Pictures are shocking.

I've been following it closely on several sites as we're due to cruise there this fall.

Someone who lives on Maui said that there was a lot of dry tall grass from where the sugar cane was pulled out and no one maintained/cut it, which provided fuel for the fire. The winds just whipped the flames along. Most fires are started by humans (about 85%), but some can occur naturally (sun and dry conditions and lightning strikes are the most common).

Maui has always been our happy place. :( We're scheduled to go back in October, but we're going to have to give it a few weeks to see how the island bounces back (knowing full well that Lahaina may never be the same place again) to figure out whether or not it makes sense to go this year.

We were in Maui when they had a pretty big fire in the hills approaching Lahaina. It was weird, I do not think they had a fire department, it just burned with no one trying to stop it, no firetrucks, nothing. We live in an area with similar brush but there are fire break roads everywhere. They are going to have to make some changes

We were in Maui when they had a pretty big fire in the hills approaching Lahaina. It was weird, I do not think they had a fire department, it just burned with no one trying to stop it, no firetrucks, nothing. We live in an area with similar brush but there are fire break roads everywhere. They are going to have to make some changes

Maui has a fire department. I’ve heard some discussion about how their efforts might have been concentrated on a larger fire in the mountains about 35 miles away. They had a small crew put out a fire near Lahaina, but it might have still been smoldering and then flared up with the winds. Reminds me of what supposedly happened with the Oakland-Berkeley Hills fire of 1991.

But yeah, there’s a fire department.

The Department has 14 fire stations throughout the County of Maui. There are 10 fire stations on the island of Maui, three fire stations on the island of Molokai, and one fire station on the island of Lanai.​

Maui has always been our happy place. :( We're scheduled to go back in October, but we're going to have to give it a few weeks to see how the island bounces back (knowing full well that Lahaina may never be the same place again) to figure out whether or not it makes sense to go this year.
Really saddened by the news.

We are in a similar situation. Going in November/December, where part of the trip was to look for possible retirement locations.

So many lost everything and we hear they are asking hotels and others to work with the state to provide accommodations

On one hand, we're thinking about keeping the trip to Maui and volunteering in any way we can.
On the other hand, we don't want to be in the way or cause any problems for the relief effort.

I’m heartbroken over the loss of life and the destruction of homes, history, culture, businesses, livelihoods…. The loss is just staggering. I cannot even imagine the terror the people of Lahaina experienced on Tuesday and the nightmare they are living in now. I’ve been praying for all of them, and my whole family is donating for the care of the displaced and suffering.

My parents have been going to West Maui for the past 16 years. My mom, who passed away in October, loved it so much that she bought into the Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas in 2007. Every other year, my mom and dad invite all their children and grandchildren to join them in Maui. My little family had to skip a couple of trips when our 2 kids were both in college at the same time, but we made it often enough that Lahaina holds very special memories for my family. 18 of us (the first time my whole entire family was able to all attend) just returned from our most recent 10 day trip on July 2nd. It was bittersweet because it was our first trip back without our beloved mom. She was the only one missing.

The island and its people mean so much to us; we have so many wonderful memories there. We took group pictures at Sunday Brunch at the Pioneer Inn, at the Front Street sea wall, under the banyan tree. We got ice cream at Lapperts, went to Mass at Maria Lanakila Catholic Church, which incredibly survived surround by acres of ash and destruction, and enjoyed walking all over Lahaina. The before and after pictures are devastating. I can’t believe it’s all gone.

Rebuild Lahaina Town ❤️

I've posted this before, but Maui is not my favorite island. However, Lahaina is one of my favorite towns. It just has the small town feel that I love about Hawaii.

Cheeseburger in Paradise followed by a bit of shopping and shave ice was the perfect easy and relaxing day in Maui.

I've posted this before, but Maui is not my favorite island. However, Lahaina is one of my favorite towns. It just has the small town feel that I love about Hawaii.

Cheeseburger in Paradise followed by a bit of shopping and shave ice was the perfect easy and relaxing day in Maui.
Same here, Lahaina is our favorite part of Maui. Sad to see it go, you can never rebuild history

I don't believe they've identified an actual cause at this point -but clearly the drier conditions and winds fueled the fires
Many fires are started by humans carelessness or started intentionally.

Reactions: GAN
It's so unfair that a place that's one of the more ecologically conscious places is the one to succumb to the ravages of climate change. And now that the ocean levels are rising, more of these island locations are going to be the ones in big trouble of eradication.
Wondering what kind of person would laugh at this. Let's ask @DCLMP.

There are at least 80 dead so far. Really funny, right?

Wondering what kind of person would laugh at this. Let's ask @DCLMP.

There are at least 80 dead so far. Really funny, right?
It's because you mentioned climate change as a possible reason that this fire was so bad, which of course is a factor. Hawaii has been seeing decreasing rainfall for over a decade. They've also seen a big increase in wildfires. Some choose not to see what's happening all around them.

No what’s funny is what you think the cause of it is.?

No some of us are just don’t fall for all that nonsense.
Regardless of one's "beliefs," laughing at something like this is not the action of a decent person. It's inhuman.

80 dead so far, and countless unaccounted for so far. Go ahead and laugh. Despicable.

Regardless of one's "beliefs," laughing at something like this is not the action of a decent person. It's inhuman.

80 dead so far, and countless unaccounted for so far. Go ahead and laugh. Despicable.
If I had a dollar for everyone of my posts you’ve laughed at I could pay for my next cruise.

Regardless jumping to the conclusion that a fire was caused by global warming is funny.

You know darn well I wasn’t laughing at the tragedy. .but nice try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter