MaxPass / Digital Fastpass - Discussion Thread

I don't think it matters how late. Disneyland has been enforcing the return windows on fast passes for at least a year now, probably longer.

They've been enforcing return times for a few years+ at this point. Since early 2013 from what I recall.

But even with that, there was some unofficial wiggle room previously that CMs could exercise at their discretion. WDW has an official early/late window policy that is built into the system. I wonder how early/late those people precisely mentioned were or if it's now going to be to the minute enforcement with no wiggle room.

Also makes me wonder about dining reservations and FP return issues that sometimes arise (and with a receipt were previously another at the CM's discretion). Also if the system is has been built to recognize that a ride went down at any point during the original return window so now the FP is good for the rest of the day.

One would assume so, but one also shouldn't assume.

I don't think it matters how late. Disneyland has been enforcing the return windows on fast passes for at least a year now, probably longer.

The unofficial CM wiggle room was 15 minutes after the end return time. Worked 100% of the time for me. Been that way since the strict FP return policy.

Not having been before, I'm not sure of the queuing procedure, but how does the FP runner get the cards off the other family members if they need to scan them twice before riding the ride.

He doesn't do it while we're on the ride, as you're correct, we couldn't get the passes to him. I have no tried scanning my pass from my phone so can't tell you if that works. He will go ahead of us to get FPs while I handle kids or while we're eating, etc.

On another note, I did ask the CM at Splash what comes up on their handhelds. He said pictures for DAS and it turns green for FP. I originally brought up pictures because when I was chatting with the Buzz CM yesterday he kept mentioning how the pictures come up opposite the scanner (right scanner/picture on left side of scanner). Now maybe he just meant the the green. FWIW, they only scan once at Indy and I didn't see any CMs holding a handheld. There is a small button on top of the scanner that lights up green for them to see.

Last edited:

They've been enforcing return times for a few years+ at this point. Since early 2013 from what I recall.

But even with that, there was some unofficial wiggle room previously that CMs could exercise at their discretion. WDW has an official early/late window policy that is built into the system. I wonder how early/late those people precisely mentioned were or if it's now going to be to the minute enforcement with no wiggle room.

Also makes me wonder about dining reservations and FP return issues that sometimes arise (and with a receipt were previously another at the CM's discretion). Also if the system is has been built to recognize that a ride went down at any point during the original return window so now the FP is good for the rest of the day.

One would assume so, but one also shouldn't assume.

You can use a FP anytime that day if the ride goes down. We had to do it on Splash yesterday. I know the CMs can override the system. Since I didn't go on, I'll have to ask DH if they overrode or if the system recognized it has been down. I will edit this with the answer when he gets off this ride.

ETA: DH says the system recognized it had been closed and it scanned like normal when they went back to use them.

Last edited:
I was my son, my DH me, son my DH and DDs each other on Big Thunder. Not even a blink from the CMs. I would say it's safe to say (at least right now) that switching passes doesn't matter.

Also some younger girls were having an issue, not sure what, but the CM just said, "We're going to just say you scanned for all of you." So it seems they do have the ability to give some grace if they're inclined.

He doesn't do it while we're on the ride, as you're correct, we couldn't get the passes to him. I have no tried scanning my pass from my phone so can't tell you if that works. He will go ahead of us to get FPs while I handle kids or while we're eating, etc.

On another note, I did ask the CM at Splash what comes up on their handhelds. He said pictures for DAS and it turns green for FP. I originally brought up pictures because when I was chatting with the Buzz CM yesterday he kept mentioning how the pictures come up opposite the scanner (right scanner/picture on right side of scanner). Now maybe he just meant the the green. FWIW, they only scan once at Indy and I didn't see any CMs holding a handheld. There is a small button on top of the scanner that lights up green for them to see.

Just so I understand it correctly, the CM said the picture of the person pops up for DAS users only, but everyone else just gets the green (or other color) icon?

If this is correct, this would imply there is no enforcement against swapping tickets - at this time.

Thank you for taking time to investigate. As you can see from this thread, we are all completely in the dark if it wasn't for people like you! :worship:

DISCLAIMER: I understand MaxPass isn't happening yet

But I still have questions :) I like to over-think things - part of my charm - so bear with me! Is the photopass the real deal photopass? Like for characters, castle, etc. or is it ride photos only? $10 a day for the full PP seems crazy low (not that I'm complaining!) but maybe I'm still to used to WDW where it's $149. I remember last year it was much cheaper per day, but not as low as $10. We aren't going until Oct, so I anticipate a lot of things clearing up by then, but I feel almost as overwhelmed as I did when FP+ was rolling out.. and I absolutely agree with folks who have said we need magicbands in some form. Although since we trade pins, the lanyard idea will probably work for us!

DISCLAIMER: I understand MaxPass isn't happening yet

But I still have questions :) I like to over-think things - part of my charm - so bear with me! Is the photopass the real deal photopass? Like for characters, castle, etc. or is it ride photos only? $10 a day for the full PP seems crazy low (not that I'm complaining!) but maybe I'm still to used to WDW where it's $149. I remember last year it was much cheaper per day, but not as low as $10. We aren't going until Oct, so I anticipate a lot of things clearing up by then, but I feel almost as overwhelmed as I did when FP+ was rolling out.. and I absolutely agree with folks who have said we need magicbands in some form. Although since we trade pins, the lanyard idea will probably work for us!
Yes, I believe it is the full PP. So you get ride photos as well as the photos from the various PP photographers in the park.

Yes, I believe it is the full PP. So you get ride photos as well as the photos from the various PP photographers in the park.
To add to this: Remember it will be per person, per day. So depending on your party size and your stay it could still run into some serious cash. I suppose one person could get it solely for the PP and everyone add to it though.

The unofficial CM wiggle room was 15 minutes after the end return time. Worked 100% of the time for me. Been that way since the strict FP return policy.

I read on another board that someone asked a CM and that the system will let you in 5 minutes early and 15 minutes late. Haven't tested that myself yet obviously.

To add to this: Remember it will be per person, per day. So depending on your party size and your stay it could still run into some serious cash. I suppose one person could get it solely for the PP and everyone add to it though.

If just one person has it, doesn't that mean also only one person gets FP? (Or MP as the case may be.) We are only going for 4 days, so if we both have to pay - $20/day = $80, about what we'd pay for PP anyway, so it comes out in the wash...

Also, I know earlier in the thread there was some speculation this could be free for onsite. Having booked a package through DLR directly at the DL Hotel, any idea if that would be added on? Or would I have to do something to add it?

If just one person has it, doesn't that mean also only one person gets FP? (Or MP as the case may be.) We are only going for 4 days, so if we both have to pay - $20/day = $80, about what we'd pay for PP anyway, so it comes out in the wash...

Also, I know earlier in the thread there was some speculation this could be free for onsite. Having booked a package through DLR directly at the DL Hotel, any idea if that would be added on? Or would I have to do something to add it?
Yup, $10 per person per day. If you don't care about the fastpass part, you could just spend $10 a day for the photopass part. But who doesn't care about fast passes?

I really think it's a better deal for smaller groups. For my family, it's $50 a day do do MaxPass. But, I hate to be at a disadvantage, so I'm going to spend the money on it, assuming it's available for our August trip.

On another note, I did ask the CM at Splash what comes up on their handhelds. He said pictures for DAS and it turns green for FP. I originally brought up pictures because when I was chatting with the Buzz CM yesterday he kept mentioning how the pictures come up opposite the scanner (right scanner/picture on right side of scanner). Now maybe he just meant the the green. FWIW, they only scan once at Indy and I didn't see any CMs holding a handheld. There is a small button on top of the scanner that lights up green for them to see.

This makes sense. I didn't see how, when 1 day ticket holders did not have pictures taken, pictures would be required to match the user. I'm sure this will still annoy some people but for my purposes, I don't care if my husband or kids take my ticket.

Everyone would still get FP, but only one would be able to book online.
Legacy FP isn't going away with MP, so the person with MP could still book their FP the original way (at least that's what seems to have been reported)

That's why I said solely for PP. It would be worth the $10 a day for one person to get it, waste the FP part and add all photos to it vs $39 a day.

If it were two of you doing it wouldn't really be a wash because you could book you FPs in your phone. So it would be like PP with the bonus of not having to go back and forth for FP. There's five of us, two w/Signature APs so it would be a waste for us.

That's why I said solely for PP. It would be worth the $10 a day for one person to get it, waste the FP part and add all photos to it vs $39 a day.

If it were two of you doing it wouldn't really be a wash because you could book you FPs in your phone. So it would be like PP with the bonus of not having to go back and forth for FP. There's five of us, two w/Signature APs so it would be a waste for us.

Sorry, I wasn't being clear with the wash part - I meant that in a good way - basically the cost we would be paying anyway for PP with the bonus of FP. It will be interesting to see if this is included for onsite guests, but even if we have to pay for it for just the 2 of us it doesn't seem that bad.

Just so I understand it correctly, the CM said the picture of the person pops up for DAS users only, but everyone else just gets the green (or other color) icon?

If this is correct, this would imply there is no enforcement against swapping tickets - at this time.

Thank you for taking time to investigate. As you can see from this thread, we are all completely in the dark if it wasn't for people like you! :worship:

My pleasuse! I've gotten my own fair share of info from these boards, I'm happy to repay the favor when I can.

Yes, my understanding is that there isn't any enforcement of swapping tickets. Our trip is over, so my info is done, but since we're headed back in a few months, I'll be interested in following the new info/changes.

You can use a FP anytime that day if the ride goes down. We had to do it on Splash yesterday. I know the CMs can override the system. Since I didn't go on, I'll have to ask DH if they overrode or if the system recognized it has been down. I will edit this with the answer when he gets off this ride.

ETA: DH says the system recognized it had been closed and it scanned like normal when they went back to use them.

Er, I knew the fact about being able to use the FP all day if a ride goes down during your window. I wasn't even questioning if they took this away (for all I wouldn't put past Disney, that one would be incredibly low of them to do so hadn't even crossed my mind).

My curiosity was about if it was built in to the new system or if it would have to be a manual override. Your ETA answers what I was actually curious about so thank you :).

New Question...

- Can you arrive early or late to use your entry ticket FP. I believe at WDW you can arrive early or a bit late to use your Magic Bands.

There is some wiggle room, not sure how much. My husband was just 2 minutes late on his FP and the machine still turned green. Also we tested out using someone else's pass. DH took older daughter on Guardians each with their own pass. When they returned I took her and this time she had her younger brother's pass and it all worked out fine.

Also another FP oddity today, they were allowing us to pull FP for Goofys when the ride was temporarily closed. In the past if the ride was closed the machines were too. While DH sat with our sleeping baby and my mom took the older two on RSR with the switch pass I grabbed FP for GRR that were 2 minutes out and then walked to Goofys to grab the passes from there. It is an odd but nice change to have immediate FP on these non busy rides.

And just want to say the parks have been busy, but not slammed this week. It's been nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter