MaxPass / Digital Fastpass - Discussion Thread

It's simple, folks. When the window opens the runner can get the next fast pass. Once he or she returns to the group everyone can then scan their tickets and ride the attraction. I don't get the whole scan first then run problem. Just swap the order. I did this many times Wednesday. I'd tell the family, "Meet me by Space Mountain," then I'd run to Big Thunder and grab a FP and return and ride Space together.
Nope, not that simple. Unless everyone is just like you which they are not.

Some folks have members in their group who do not want to ride Space Mtn. If that was you, it would force a choice. The group "waits for you at Space Mtn" so you can bring them their park tickets to ride Space Mtn and then you sit and wait at the Space Mtn exit for them. That is waste of time for your group and you. Under the old FP system the group could go ride Space Mtn while you went to BTMRR to get FPs and then met them at the exit of Space Mtn or somewhere else of your choosing. Much more efficient. No longer possible. That is one of the things that folks are unhappy about.

:wizard:

Some folks have members in their group who do not want to ride Space Mtn. If that was you, it would force a choice. The group "waits for you at Space Mtn" so you can bring them their park tickets to ride Space Mtn and then you sit and wait at the Space Mtn exit for them. That is waste of time for your group and you. Under the old FP system the group could go ride Space Mtn while you went to BTMRR to get FPs and then met them at the exit of Space Mtn or somewhere else of your choosing. Much more efficient. No longer possible. That is one of the things that folks are unhappy about.

I see. Well, get used to disappointment then. Things change and we all have to adapt with the changes. I'm sure the collective wisdom of the group will figure things out. For example, while not as efficient, the runner can go through the one or two scan points then exit and go get the next fastpasses while the group rides. Loss is just a few minutes. Nominal, in my opinion.

I see. Well, get used to disappointment then. Things change and we all have to adapt with the changes. I'm sure the collective wisdom of the group will figure things out. For example, while not as efficient, the runner can go through the one or two scan points then exit and go get the next fastpasses while the group rides. Loss is just a few minutes. Nominal, in my opinion.
My answer was not about disappointment and unwillingness to change. It was about it not being as simple as you posted.

As I have posted in other threads, I was the ultimate FP- runner at DLR and WDW and would criss-cross parks multiple times a day for coveted FPs. With FP+ at WDW of course that is no longer necessary, and for me it was one of the huge advantages of FP+. Like @GaryDis I am feeling the years gaining on me and I am just not as excited about chasing FP- anymore as I used to be. What that means in practice for DLR is we probably don't do quite as many FP rides as we used used to - unless I have some of the kids with me (all in their 20's now) and they can be the FP runner.

Frankly MaxPass sounds like a great compromise for me personally between WDW's FP+ (which I think would be a mistake at DLR) and FP- (which requires FP running). It is good to see that Disney is keeping their eye on the ball here.

The issue of $10 a day? I wonder where that is coming from. I mean, if they drop paper FPs altogether and MaxPass becomes the only way to do FPs (including FP kiosks at DLR like at WDW) then they would have to do away with the $10 upcharge because everyone need access. They could bump park tickets by $10 a day and then it would be the same thing as an upcharge but would not feel like it since it is built into the ticket.

My suspicion is that Disney is doing a test with the $10 thing and also trying to limit access a bit while they gather data.

A whole other thing goes along with newly implemented "use your park ticket/AP at the FP return line - and not the FP itself" that I have not seen anyone mention here is data. I have always understood that the paper FPs just were collected and put in a drawer. So Disney had no idea once you personally pulled a FP if you (or anyone) ever used it. Now they will because the FP returns is tied to your park tickets/AP. When that scans for FP they know it is you (aside from the park ticket switching tests folks have reported).

With that I suspect they will let the new system + MaxPass run awhile (a year?) so they can collect data and make some decisions with that data. Ultimately it makes total sense to bring MagicBands to DLR and that seems unanimous by the posters on this thread. MagicBands with a MaxPass system with no upcharge seems like a good fit at DLR. Again, it is good to see Disney keeping their eye on the ball and being willing to understand that FP+ would be a bad idea at DLR.

I think your comment about collecting data is spot on. In fact, a plaid said the same thing the other day.

Well with the way the FPs were running this week (return time now for a lot of them) it really was that simple. No real loss of time. We were holding at least two at all times if not three. It was time used on the front end rather than the back end. Not hopeful it'll stay that way but I'm sure people will adapt their style in a way that will work. Same as we all did with FP time enforcement and then the parks being connected.

I hate figuring out a system...and then trashing it and having to learn another system. I think that's the big problem a lot of us are having. As dad used to say, "Just leave well enough alone".
"When in Rome..." If all things remained the same I wouldn't be able to DIS from my phone while on my way back home OR pass on info to other DISrs while on my vacation 'live as it's happening.' Things are always changing, fighting it only brings frustration. Honestly, I like this particular change so far. It was way smoother than I expected it to be.

can someone clarify this for me:

I have my tickets loaded into my disneyland profile, so I can see them from the app. Will I still need to be carrying paper tickets to get fastpasses? Traveling in two weeks!

This may not help in many cases where you pick up your tickets at the turnstiles as you first enter the parks, but if you have your hard-stock tickets before going to the parks, you can make a photocopy of the tickets and cut them to the same dimensions. The FastPass distribution machines scan photocopies as well as originals. Plus the thinner copies take up less room in a wallet, especially relative to the thick AP cards. And if the copies are lost, it is less of a worry than losing the original tickets.

Thanks so much. We do have paper tickets already so we will try this tomorrow :)

I haven't used the system yet, in fact I haven't been to DL since 2014 (going back in Sept.), but I'm not seeing what the big issues are here.

Top complaint I've seen is that everyone needs to have their tickets out and ready at every ride.
-Didn't you need to do that already but with paper passes? (I know, I'd rather keep my park ticket secure and not in and out of pockets, but still)
-Didn't the FP runner already need to have everyone's park ticket to get the FP paper ticket?

All I'm saying is that I don't see much of a difference there. Someone can still be the runner, get FP for the group and then everyone needs to show up in the window together and ride. Everyone still has to show some type of ticket to get in the FP line.

It's simple, folks. When the window opens the runner can get the next fast pass. Once he or she returns to the group everyone can then scan their tickets and ride the attraction. I don't get the whole scan first then run problem. Just swap the order. I did this many times Wednesday. I'd tell the family, "Meet me by Space Mountain," then I'd run to Big Thunder and grab a FP and return and ride Space together.

The reason that this is a bummer for us is that my DH doesn't ride a lot of the FP rides anymore. So being our runner gave him something to do while we were on the ride. For example, me and the kids would use the Space FP and while we were on the ride, DH is walking over to BTMRR to get our next FP. Then we meet up and do something together. Now the situation would be that we will all be walking to BTMRR (or the kids and I will be waiting for him to return to give us our tickets) and then he sits around waiting while we are on Space.

Again, that is just why our family is bummed about the change. It doesn't apply to most groups if they are all riding the rides together. But if we can scan our tickets onto the app on my phone and use my phone to scan for the FP return, that would work for our situation (DH can hold on the the physical tickets).

Has anyone confirmed that they can use their phone for the FP lines yet? Or at this point do we still need the physical tickets in hand to redeem the FP?

I'm thinking when MaxPass rolls out we'll be able to use the FPs digitally and that we'll be able to do that again. This week with the return times being *right now* it was very easy to have 2-3 sets of FPs and anticipating a fourth all within in an hour or so. Made for some extra FP running but was worth it. The trick was finding the soonest return time and working from there.

This is how it worked for us as well and I found our time to be used much better and more efficiently than ever before. We would collect FP in the area and then return to ride them all. With the FP all being good "right now " we actually spent a lot less time waiting around or finding something to fill time.

I totally get what your saying and I think it will work differently for each individual family. There would have been a time where I would have gone to get FP when the rest rode something my youngest couldn't/wouldn't. In addition to this new system, she's now willing to ride everything but Screamin', so we personally don't have the need to fill ride time. I will say though, with the return times "right now" the max amount of waiting for somebody to come off the ride is 5 mins.

Well with the way the FPs were running this week (return time now for a lot of them) it really was that simple. No real loss of time. We were holding at least two at all times if not three. It was time used on the front end rather than the back end. Not hopeful it'll stay that way but I'm sure people will adapt their style in a way that will work. Same as we all did with FP time enforcement and then the parks being connected.

"When in Rome..." If all things remained the same I wouldn't be able to DIS from my phone while on my way back home OR pass on info to other DISrs while on my vacation 'live as it's happening.' Things are always changing, fighting it only brings frustration. Honestly, I like this particular change so far. It was way smoother than I expected it to be.

Yes to both of these! The big part will be to see how return times change with crowd levels. For us, I'm viewing it as a nice surprise this trip with expectations it will go back to the way it was and if it does, we'll just go back to the way we did things before. For the way we tour now, scanning the ticket vs collecting the FP hasn't really changed anything for us. It went much smoother than I though it would as well.

can someone clarify this for me:

I have my tickets loaded into my disneyland profile, so I can see them from the app. Will I still need to be carrying paper tickets to get fastpasses? Traveling in two weeks!
To get the fastpasses, yes, you will. They still need to be inserted into the FP machines.

So, I should print them at home or should I ask for help at guest relations? I'm confused....
They will scan your phone barcode at the gate and give you hard copy tickets to use for fastpasses. Pro-tip - do a screen shot of the pass, just in case you don't have reception.

Silly question but from my understanding (first trip coming up so just from reading)...this really doesn't change much does it? You insert your park ticket to grab a FP and then scan your park ticket to use the FP. You get a paper statement for your info of the time / next fp window, etc. Not missing anything right?

I have some new Max pass info.

When renewing our DAS at Guest Relations, I asked some questions and these are the answers I got.

Max pass will NOT be offered at a special price for AP holders. Last they were told, only the Premiere and Signature Plus would have Max Pass included. Not regular Signatures.

They are marketing MP as MOSTLY the Photopass downloads. The FP component is a secondary benefit.

It will cost $10/person/day. No length of stay or discount options at all.

There are now Wi-Fi hot spots in the parks. The new maps have the locations marked. There is NO signal until you are at the hub. There is limited coverage on the west side of DL at this time and until Star Wars land opens.

I have some new Max pass info.

When renewing our DAS at Guest Relations, I asked some questions and these are the answers I got.

Max pass will NOT be offered at a special price for AP holders. Last they were told, only the Premiere and Signature Plus would have Max Pass included. Not regular Signatures.

They are marketing MP as MOSTLY the Photopass downloads. The FP component is a secondary benefit.

It will cost $10/person/day. No length of stay or discount options at all.

There are now Wi-Fi hot spots in the parks. The new maps have the locations marked. There is NO signal until you are at the hub. There is limited coverage on the west side of DL at this time and until Star Wars land opens.

:sad2:

Silly question but from my understanding (first trip coming up so just from reading)...this really doesn't change much does it? You insert your park ticket to grab a FP and then scan your park ticket to use the FP. You get a paper statement for your info of the time / next fp window, etc. Not missing anything right?
yes this is correct. They are calling it a FP "reminder."

I know, right?

He seemed to indicate that they haven't ironed out that detail 100% yet, and hinted that they had been told a few different things over the course of the past couple months. He made it a point to say "at first..." when I asked about the price and whether AP's would get a discount. As in, "not at first..." and that the price will be $10 "at first."

...Max pass will NOT be offered at a special price for AP holders. Last they were told, only the Premiere and Signature Plus would have Max Pass included. Not regular Signatures.

They are marketing MP as MOSTLY the Photopass downloads. The FP component is a secondary benefit...
Somewhat contradictory, considering regular Signature already includes Photopass.

I know they were never specific on pricing, but original statements indicated they would be offering it for a price for passholders at both a daily and yearly rate. And I know a lot of us speculated based on other wording that upper tiers would just have it included.

I can easily foresee Sig+ getting an increase after approaching two years of being stagnant at $1049 if MP really is being included :crazy2:

But if they don't, this would (in theory) add a little more value to the Sig+ considering the overnight almost 35% increase it was from its equivalent (now non existent) pass. It wasn't until they started using Photopass for runDisney events I found any value in that perk myself since I didn't use Photopass previously. Although now I use it all the time. So as much as I don't want MP, if it's free to me, then I'll probably use it. I certainly wouldn't pay for it even if offered a yearly rate for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter