MaxPass / Digital Fastpass - Discussion Thread

I am thinking the best option will be to do maxpass on my phone for our entire family of 4 exclusively and to get lanyards to put each person's park hopper around their necks so we don't have to take them in and out at all but will just scan them through the lanyard as we go through the fast pass line. I don't really want DS(9) and DD(7) having to take their tickets in and out but I think they should be okay scanning their own with a lanyard to not slow down the line. Any feedback... is this a good idea?
I was at DLR right before MP started so my answer is based on what o have read.

Apparently all that is needed to use the FP is the image of the park pass. So you should be able to make photocopies of your kids' park passes and put those in the lanyards and not their real tickets.

But don't you have MP included with your AP? If you pulled this FP at a kiosk with your AP, then the kiosk should recognize your MP status. Or did someone without MP associated with their ticket/pass pull this one?
Only Signature Plus and Premier level pass holders have MaxPass included, other levels ha e to pay $75 for the year or the $10 per day.

Only Signature Plus and Premier level pass holders have MaxPass included, other levels ha e to pay $75 for the year or the $10 per day.
I know, and I believe the person who I was quoting had said he has Premier. My point was that I think he was able to pull another FP after 90 minutes because he has MP, even though he pulled from a kiosk. I *think* everyone without MP is still 2 hours. (Assuming it is a return time greater than 2 hours.)

We went yesterday, July 31st. We renewed our SoCal Select, and added MP to it. We got a Blockout Exception pass for the day. We arrived at the ticket booth at 7:28, and were still near the rope at rope drop... riding PP with only a 15-minute wait.

We did 20 attractions (counting F! and Fireworks... not counting Dole Whip floats (really... these are an attraction unto themselves, and you should be able to book a FP for them), meals, or the Pixar Play Parade that we briefly encountered. If you don't want to count F! and Fireworks as attractions, then we did 18 attractions. We used 9 FPs throughout the day (not counting F!), booking the first one at 7:36 (for an 8:30 return on Indy), and riding our last FP (Space Mountain) at about 7pm.

When you consider that our 20 attractions included Peter Pan, Tom Sawyer (45 minutes), Standby on Pirates (45 minutes), the RR (30 minutes), and the riverboat (15 minutes), F! & Fireworks (2 and half hours!)... I think that MP really allowed us to do a lot of main attractions without any major wait: Indy, Matterhorn, Space, BTMRR, Splash, GotG, Screamin, TSMM, Space (again). We left at the end of the 9:30 fireworks, pretty tired, having done over 20,000 steps and 10 miles.

Some helpful tips:
  • You can book your first FP as soon as you pass through the turnstiles... you don't have to wait for ropedrop.
  • Those who do the "morning runner" thing should really consider MP... in fact, Disney now has a monetary incentive to discourage runners joining their party in line. Now, Dad can stay with the whole family to ride TSMM or PP, knowing that the first FP is already booked.
  • The app will tell you when you can book your next FP... too bad it doesn't provide an automatic notification! :)
  • The 90 minute (instead of 2 hour) window is a bonus I wasn't prepared for.
  • There's not very good signal in many of the ride buildings (Indy, Space, etc... hard to book FPs once the line enters the show building)
  • From the booking screen, you can see the available rides, their current wait time, and the return time -- all in one place! This is better than tapping times on the map and trying to remember while you decide what to do next.
  • It's nice to get on a longer attraction (like the RR, riverboats, or Tom Sawyer's Pirate Lair") or a sit-down meal, and being able to book a FP without running across the park to another kiosk.
  • It also makes it easier to park hop... you can have FPs on hand when you cross to the other park, without having run across earlier in the day.
  • There's still a learning curve on the scanners, both with guests and CMs. There are a couple of quirky things -- by automating the scanner process, guest/CM interaction is diminished. Also, they want you to use both scanners, but large groups make that difficult... and the space between the scanner poles isn't really wide enough to make it work well. A couple of times, we ended up in the middle of larger groups because of the way we passed the scanner point. Also, at the merge point, CMs aren't always clear about whether you should just go, or if you're supposed to wait until they've let a certain number of standby through. These are probably all just learning curve issues... and have more to do with the scanners than with MaxPass itself.
Those are my thoughts... I know it's not worth it to everybody... and I do feel badly for large families (I wish there was some way to mitigate this: a cost cap for larger groups, or a family plan...) But for people who already know how to maximize FP to their benefit, this really seems to work well. The $75 price point for AP-holders seems reasonable in comparison to the $10/day. Having said that, I'm doubtful that the introductory price will last, and I suspect that we won't continue MP beyond the first year.

90 min only applies to MaxPass users. It is still 2 hours if you dont have MaxPass:

UO6LOegeZw2XdspQlswybFpt7mut_cJcpCSe0z94o9MS3zqooC2zbqGKPGm7tGAwMgCbGbsMuNZtH9ea9XHpufoZzFsxw3VSLjjOwHs-uEYSYTF3NyUOpYzO4EvismAptiTviB6wyrLzSnmxMsFWY84sc_dYhwz4WVK_8jsqx5W4W4V1h5vnvnQwB9Xkdo4gat3K-mUrLBK700KD8QGQfEcWimodzbX_AoQyzrHvuMBmRCzqNkcjEuwlbL9OIMfze4F00W5WA5ErBM4wmdVahXThj4nNjsUD-4OkYosIsgsEoygtM-pU2upic-llX1cKVAHv2IrnpM98i_kn8NF6E3i_NbwkNW5qDlT-OohzgeKMheU-Diw_JgIAoPny-ceumB2Js2BgRoh7ch5Eq1o6KVv_K3yKQLHEyjqKdkz_tGVOg3EjAQUrGkUqQmMgWoh8AdXZoyL2elGKmNMAMfm4T4CsfcpyX9jeD8A16t3kuarrz2-A7VAxs8Gf_2dfed_toMb9iHA5DycMqRhEr6f5zIQFb299bHiFNABYX-_mUprEAqqjzVYLy1fTZYMxfPdYZR4W3UWgxlruoOjkyk5irvR9y5M9hrhbhSbOTd7vS2MZCTOnKMcjbX6JvzKp85Dt8enx6Xi9vfBjbxCFnB95WeXEFe9gxk6Gt_xIZ3Qv=w703-h937-no
Aaaarrrghhh fiddlesticks!!! I guess I'll figure 2 hrs for my non-Maxpass planning, and consider any quicker availabilities that come my way unexpected pixie dust!
pixiedust:
Who knows... maybe different rides have different settings?

I know, and I believe the person who I was quoting had said he has Premier. My point was that I think he was able to pull another FP after 90 minutes because he has MP, even though he pulled from a kiosk. I *think* everyone without MP is still 2 hours. (Assuming it is a return time greater than 2 hours.)
Yes, I have Premier. You have keenly observed a small difference between MP and non-MP use at kiosks. While 30 minutes is not a huge difference, this difference could be adjusted to increase the value of MP.

WOW! Lots of great info!! I have purchased e-tickets with max pass through Disney that are presently on my phone. I have the Disneyland app and so will my kids and husband. Do I understand that they can scan their ticket off of my phone into theirs? Will we ever have a paper ticket to scan for our fastpasses or will we always have to scan our phones at each fastpass entrance? TIA

WOW! Lots of great info!! I have purchased e-tickets with max pass through Disney that are presently on my phone. I have the Disneyland app and so will my kids and husband. Do I understand that they can scan their ticket off of my phone into theirs? Will we ever have a paper ticket to scan for our fastpasses or will we always have to scan our phones at each fastpass entrance? TIA
You will have a hard ticket at the turnstile as well. That is where I am stuck though... will the hard ticket have a different number on it than my eticket? That's the questio that I haven't seen answered yet....

Yes, I have Premier. You have keenly observed a small difference between MP and non-MP use at kiosks. While 30 minutes is not a huge difference, this difference could be adjusted to increase the value of MP.

Thanks for the response. I think I've spent too much time reading on this subject! I do think the 90 minutes vs. 2 hours increases the value of MP. Maybe enough to convince me to add it to our passes. I wish Disney would publish all the details of how the new system works so we don't have to learn from trial and error. But then again, I think they keep tweaking the system and maybe aren't ready to give specifics.

I also bought park e-tickets with MaxPass for our family of 5. I thought when you enter the park
they will give actual plastic card type tickets after you scan your e-tickets. Then you can book fastpasses
through your smartphone (assuming you have linked all your tickets already on the app). To use
the fastpass you scan from your phone or the plastic card type park ticket.

Where do the little paper passes come in for e-tickets with Max Pass? I want to understand for our trip
in a few days.

TIA

I also bought park e-tickets with MaxPass for our family of 5. I thought when you enter the park
they will give actual plastic card type tickets after you scan your e-tickets. Then you can book fastpasses
through your smartphone (assuming you have linked all your tickets already on the app). To use
the fastpass you scan from your phone or the plastic card type park ticket.

Where do the little paper passes come in for e-tickets with Max Pass? I want to understand for our trip
in a few days.

TIA

The tickets they give you in exchange for the e-tickets you bought will be paper tickets. Not plastic.

The paper reminders for FP are only if you pull it directly from the FP kiosks at each ride. If you book via app using MP, there will be no paper FP reminder given.

Wondering what people with small kids (<40 inches) are doing with maxpass? Aren't There are only a few FP rides for little kids? Has it been worth springing for the extra $10/day for LOs to keep the family together for TS and buzz? I have two kids, one who is too little for most of the FP rides and one who meets the height requirement for most of them.

Wondering what people with small kids (<40 inches) are doing with maxpass? Aren't There are only a few FP rides for little kids? Has it been worth springing for the extra $10/day for LOs to keep the family together for TS and buzz? I have two kids, one who is too little for most of the FP rides and one who meets the height requirement for most of them.

This is my situation too - 1 kid under 40 inches and 1 kid who meets most height requirements. Going back and forth between getting MaxPass for no one, for 3 of us, or for all of us. Would love to hear what others in this situation have done/are planning to do.

TSMM and BLAB do still have regular FP, so if you didn't want to pay for MP, you could still use FP with one return time for your whole family. Keep checking the DLR app for the current return times on those rides, especially during the times of day when you plan to ride. If you think the return times look reasonable with regular FP, then there won't really be a need to buy MP. And if you get to the parks and decide that you do want to purchase MP after all, it isn't a problem to add it to your app. The purchase itself only takes a few minutes.

Sorry if this question has already been answered...we are staying at PPH in December and bought a room package which we will have 5 day PH. When can I add on the MP to our tickets? Do we have to go to the ticket counter each day before heading into the parks and buy it then, or could we add it onto our package before our vacation? Thank you for all of your help.

TSMM and BLAB do still have regular FP, so if you didn't want to pay for MP, you could still use FP with one return time for your whole family. Keep checking the DLR app for the current return times on those rides, especially during the times of day when you plan to ride. If you think the return times look reasonable with regular FP, then there won't really be a need to buy MP. And if you get to the parks and decide that you do want to purchase MP after all, it isn't a problem to add it to your app. The purchase itself only takes a few minutes.
Great idea. Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter