Maybe it's just the Disney name?!

inkkognito

<font color=green>I shall call him Mini-Me<br><fon
On our many Disney cruises, we frequently notice how casual the dinner dress on DCL is, particularly on the three night cruise (last time, hubby was one of only two people in Palo with a tie, and jeans were rampant at the regular restaurants).
Tonight, we went to downtown Chicago to see the Lion King at the Cadillac Palace Theater. Typically for us that's a dress-up occasion, with hubby in a suit and tie and me in a fancy dress. We had a nice dinner first, then headed over to the theater. The interior wasn't open yet, so we walked into the hallway to wait with the crowd. As we looked around us, we saw that we were way overdressed!! Jeans everyway...business casual on the men or pants suits on the women was about the fanciest wear that I saw. I'm beginning to think the Disney name must just be synonymous with casual!
It doesn't bother me what other people wear...I enjoy dressing for dinner on the ship just because we don't do it a lot at home. But it does surprise me a bit as it seems to get more casual as time wears on...people dressed up more in 1998 when DCL first started sailing.
And as for the play, it is PHENOMENAL!!!!!! It is a must-see if it comes to your town, no matter what you wear :D
We saw it through a special event via a local museum, so it also included a chat with some cast members afterwards. I almost had a flashback that we were on the 7-day cruise at the meet the cast session.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

I can't believe that I still haven't gone to see this show - it's been long running in London for a good few years now.

As for the dress - well I haven't been on the DCL yet and I have my 4 night Wonder gig coming very soon. My DBF is used to cruising and has done the Magic in it's early days for a 3 nighter and I asked him if he'd take his tux for Palos and he refuses coz he says he'll look out of place. So we're going for the lounge suit look. But I'm using every opportunity to dress up - I can't wait :) I don't really care how everyone else is dressed as long as I feel good that's what's important to me.

But what I really want to do now is book a 7 nighter :teeth:

Barb,

I totally know what you mean. It seems like every cruise is gets a little more casual. For our upcoming 7 day Mark opted to be bring his suit because we really didn't see that many tuxes on our last cruise. He'll still look great and will fit in fine.

We have tickets for the Lion King in June - can't wait to see it!

We had the exact opposite thing happen to us. I took my DS (7) to see Beauty and the Beast. I wore a really nice dress which was not quite semi formal, but very nice. I had Matt wear slacks, a dress shirt and a sweater vest. We were probably really close to being under. While there were a few dressed in jeans, there were probably more dress for the opera - semi formal and a few formal.

I'd have to agree it's in the name.

A lot of it too is in the frame of mind of the theatre-goers.

I think it's a bit different by Robin - Disney is probably the #1 destination of Chicagoans. Don't think it's the same by her, I'd more suspect she was in a crowd of serious theatre people.

And for Chicagoans, with some notable exceptions, Disney is one thing: a place to take the kids so they have fun. The frame of mind is basically - 'Disney? That's for kids. ' My parents were that way; they really thought it was their duty to schelp us down every easter break to WDW, wether my parents had fun or not. Little did they know I would have just as much enjoyed a week off at home. Maybe moreso, as my only childhood memories of Disney are impossibly huge lines, maybe going on a ride or two, getting disgusted and going back to the resort. I've since learned better. :earsboy: Most of our relatives around here simply don't understand our interest in Disney for ourselves. Now, take that and put it on this, even though it is a major Broadway play, to a lot of adults it's still a 'thing for kids', and in those cases formality gets thrown out the window. That's where we get these tacky people on the cruises who think because it's Disney they should be able to dress like a frump for dinner. :rolleyes: To me it's more a point of respect, both self and the ones serving/entertaining) to dress up.

I think theatre goers in general are dressing down....I have been to quite a few plays in the last few years and it seem every time I go people are dressed way more casually than they used to. It is disappointing as I always felt "going into the city for a Broadway Play" was an automatic dress up occasion!!!

The Lion King on Broadway is excellent.....and B&B is also wonderful...saw it 4 times already on Broadway!!

MJ

As I have not cruised yet, I can not give an oppinion on the ships, but for those that remember: WDW use to do a Jolly Holiday Dinner Show over at the Contemporary. This was a "must do" on our family trip and always enjoyed getting dressed up for it and I would say that close 90% of the guests did too. On the last year we did this (the year the moved the stage to the middle of the hall), we were very disappointed, I would have to say at least 50% of the people did not care how they looked. Now I do not mean the were just dressed down, but shorts, tank tops, t-shirts with stains, etc.., that just seemed to take the magical look of this dinner show away. I had spoken to the manager as we had come to be such veterens of this show and knew who he was, even he was surprised at the drastic change from previous years. I don't think they do this show anymore, I think it might have only lasted 1 or 2 years after that. What a shame it was a really nice way to spend an evening, since the parks close early that time of year.

I agree with you about the Disney name but it really is that way for Broadway in General. I have taken my 8 year old dd to see many shows. We always dress up and it is part of the fun. However the last time we went she pointed out people in the theatre in cutoff shorts. She (at 7) thought it was disgusting.I just hope those of us with values pass them on to her generation.I see too many of her peers already who don't respect adults or anything else for that matter. However on thelighter side she has a wonderful group of friends who are all respectful and polite. Both shows are excellent but I do hear people say" Oh that is for kids" because it is Disney or worse they don't want to go because they don't want to be surrounded by kids. It is sad really. As a child I went to see Shows in NY and it is one of the highlights of my childhood.It also taught me to respect but not fear the city so I am comfortable traveling with my children.
As for the cruise I recently read a review somewhere(not sure where0 that said a plus for the Disney cruise was it was more casual dining. It never even mentioned the formal nights.
Sorry I'll get off my soapbox now.

We are going to see Lion King in November. We are taking our daughter to celebrate both our birthdays.
As to dressing on the cruise. We just returned from our fourth DCL cruise and I notice each year (we cruise once a year) people are dressing more and more casual. In fact this year on formal night we followed a family in shorts and t-shirts into Lumiere's. Of course we also see people wearing shorts in church. One more thing, doesn't anyone wear slips anymore? :eek:

Another interesting thing that I noticed, which I've never seen at a major production before, was people taking flash photos during the show! There were numerous warnings given beforehand, but I swear some people thought they were at a theme park show, Seemed very tacky to me. The ushers must have cracked down, as it eventually stopped. I would never dream of taking flash photos at a Broadway-way quality production! (But then again, I wouldn't do it on the ship either because I don't want to disturb my neighbors.)
Disney did a great job of making it appealing to the kids while not losing any of the Broadway quality of the overall show. I did notice that some people with children left after the first act (which lasted almost two hours), but it was late on a Weds. night so that probably contributed.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Barb (and everyone else):

I don't think it's just the Disney name. In general, society is becoming more casual, and I'm not sure that's a good thing. Unfortunately, along with casual dress, it seems to me that formal manners are disappearing too (holding the door for the next person in line, saying please and thank you, etc.)

I had to attend a business conference yesterday with people from the Governor's office and other "dignitaries". I wore a nice business suit (and sneakers and sweat socks, but that's because I'm having trouble with my arthritic hip, would be on my feet all day taking photos and can't wear dress shoes yet!) Most of the attendees wore jeans, and there were even some tee shirts! Yes, we're a Jersey Shore town, and yes, the meeting was held in a beachfront location, but I just didn't think being that casual was appropriate. Of course, the speakers and presenters were properly dressed, as was my office staff.

Maybe I'm just showing my age?

Beth

While this isn't Broadway or Chicago my family had a similiar situation.

We received free tickets to performance at the local Performing Arts Center (a brand new facility). This was part of "lets show the community the new facility" type of performance. The performance was and adaption of the "Red Balloon". My family dressed nice (no jeans, etc...). When we arrived there was a lot of people in jeans, t shirts etc.. Before the performance one women was encouraging her children to yell across the hall to get the attention of someone they need. The children proceded to yell across the hall multiple times.

We took the opportunity to teach our children about proper behavior in such a place (they behaved better than majority of the adults there). My wife had I been to other performances at this facility and it never was this bad. We surmised that since it was free that people figured that they didn't have to dress nicely and could act like total morons.

Barb, We are taking the family to see Lion King this July. I was planning on dolling up our DD's, DH and me. Do you think we would feel uncomfortably overdressed? Then I think if we give in to the main stream, things will only get more casual. What to do, what to do?!? BTW, we are leaving the 2 yo home. Didn't want her to be a distraction to others! (Unlike those who flashed away!)

Forgot to add - a friend of mine from the DIS recently visited me during her stop-over from LA to Africa. I had to show her London in like 4 hours. I showed her what I regard as some of the main sights, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square etc etc. Included in this whistle stop walking tour I showed her London's West End and Theatre Land. She asked me if we dressed for the shows and I had to admit - "no" we don't. The only time I ever see people dressed up for shows are for "Premiers". Everyone else is either in business dress coz they've come from work or in what I class as smart-casual. I had no idea that people dressed for Broadway shows - that sounds really nice and I wish we still did it here.

I'm gonna make more of an effort now to dress for the theatre - I go regularly and hope that others follow suit :)

Maybe I'm a little on the old fashioned side here but I will NOT go to the theater in jeans nor will I allow anyone going with me to do that. And that includes onboard the ship.

Over this past year we've been working on a theater badge in our GS troop and have attended several shows ranging from high school and middle school productions (our district is known for its performing arts so these are major productions) to a traveling Broadway production. The very FIRST thing we did was to discuss proper dress and decorum. The emphasis was on this is how you show your appreciation and respect for the actors and technicians who have spent so many hours getting this performance ready for you. They moaned and whined a little before the first one but when they experienced the reaction of so many others, comments on how nice they looked and so forth they began to like it. A minor victory perhaps but that is one of my pet peeves.

Oh wait, I guess I must confess there are occasions I am in jeans - black jeans when I am backstage! But in the house I am dressed for the occasion.

Deb

Hi MJ.

I think theatre goers in general are dressing down....I have been to quite a few plays in the last few years and it seem every time I go people are dressed way more casually than they used to. It is disappointing as I always felt "going into the city for a Broadway Play" was an automatic dress up occasion!!!

I completely agree.

After the terrorist attack, I continued taking my son into "the city" even though none of his friends were allowed to accompany us (due to their parents' fears of additional attacks). I didn't want my son to develop the perception that thugs could control his life. I also wished to establish an appreciation for NYC and the various artistic and educational venues afforded by Manhattan's lavish mix of world cultures. During the initial stages of recovery within the city, I noticed those in attendance at the theatres were more dressed up. Not sure why. But what I hoped was going to be a "fashion revival" turned out to be nothing more than a momentary "fashion craze." Still we will continue to go to the theatre wearing our "Sunday-best" in order to make it that much more a special event...

house_of_princesses,
If you want to get dolled up, I say go for it!! We did see a few young girls who had been dressed up in their very best (although we noticed that having a dressed up child doesn't mean that the adults in the family follow suit). Although we were surprised at the level of dressing down, we didn't let it make us feel uncomfortable. We were dressed the way that we perceive is appropriate for professional theater downtown, and I guess the other patrons did too, so I guess were were all happy! :D
Maybe it's different on the weekends...this is on a Weds. night. Also, I don't think the show is officially open yet, as the programs listed the opening as May 3. We got our tickets through a museum special event, and one of the ushers was telling me that there were lots of special groups, patrons, etc. in attendance (although it's kind of scary that "patrons" are dressing down)! I don't know if all that made any difference.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclulb.com

house_of_princesses,
If you want to get dolled up, I say go for it!! We did see a few young girls who had been dressed up in their very best (although we noticed that having a dressed up child doesn't mean that the adults in the family follow suit). Although we were surprised at the level of dressing down, we didn't let it make us feel uncomfortable. We were dressed the way that we perceive is appropriate for professional theater downtown, and I guess the other people did too (albeit with a difference perception), so I guess were were all happy! :D
Maybe it's different on the weekends...this is on a Weds. night. Also, I don't think the show is officially open yet, as the programs listed the opening as May 3. We got our tickets through a museum special event, and one of the ushers was telling me that there were lots of special groups, patrons, etc. in attendance (although it's kind of scary that "patrons" are dressing down)! I don't know if all that made any difference.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclulb.com

Our family will be dressing the part! Am looking so forward to seeing The Lion King! Haven't been to the Cadillac yet, either. Should be a fun day! Maybe we'll take the Metra, really show off our duds!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter