Maybe it's just the Disney name?!

You are in for a real treat when you see the theater. It is gorgeous! I was talking to the usher while we waited for the doors to the seating area to be opening, and he was telling me about the restoration. They did a fabulous job. Check out the chandeliers and the scrollwork on the ceilings. But it has always surprised me that Disney paid to restore the Chicago Theater, yet their play is at a different one. I don't even think they do many plays at the Chicago Theater anymore...such a shame.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

I love looking at the architecture, details of beautiful buildings! Maybe this is the summer DH and I take that architectural tour through our fine city!

It seems that we just don't have very many big productions come our way at all anymore. The week before we were married DH & I saw Swan Lake w/ the American Ballet Company. Loved it! And I remember people dressing for the occasion (it was near 13 years ago now). Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I see a lot of small theatre productions, not many big blowouts. Really looking forward to July when we go to see TLK.

I saw the Lion King here in Minnesota before it went to Broadway, must be about 2000. It was so wonderful. I went with 3 friends and we dressed up and went out for dinner (a casual place but an easy meet) and to the theater. I always dress up when the opportunity arises. On my first Disney Cruise on March 8, I went out and bought a beautiful formal. There were other formals on our cruise, just a few tuxs, but lots of nice suits. We went to Palo's on formal night so everyone was dressed up. There was some mixup as to which night was which, because the Navigator said semi-formal at dinner, and they announced formal on the noon announcements (which I only heard 1 time). So we had some formal's and tux's on the semi formal nite. I did see a few jean's in the dining rooms, but I enjoy getting dressed up so I do it anyway.

We live on Long Island and try to get into Manhattan to see a show as often as we can (which isn't too often), but people don't really get dressed up anymore. We saw The Producers soon after it opened and there were people there in jeans -- and that is for an evening performance! It is even worse during the matinees. We are looking forward to the shows on board the ship and we do enjoy dressing up a little.

BD....I think for me the "getting dressed up to go into a NYC show" stems from my dad. Every year on Thanksgiving he would take his 5 daughters to Radio City Music Hall to see the Christmas Show and movie (remember when they had the movie and the show???). Anyway, he always insisted that we dress up and look like little ladies. I remember all 5 of us in our little dresses and black shoes with our rabbit coats on!!!

Mom was always home cooking the turkey and dad loved taking his girls into the city!!! AFter the show we would go get hot chocolate and watch the ice skaters at Rockefeller Center....I always have fond memories of those times!!!

MJ

Hi MJ.

Every year on Thanksgiving he would take his 5 daughters to Radio City Music Hall to see the Christmas Show and movie (remember when they had the movie and the show???).

Yes! (No, that's not a quote from Ulysses). My Dad took my brother and I to Radio City right around the Christmas holidays. I well remember the movie and show.

We always took the LIRR into the city. Dad insisted we stop at the small, yet comfortable, Nedicks with the orange swivel stools just around the corner from tracks 18 & 19. The SAME ageless waitress seemed to always serve us and our order never varied: a hot dog and orange drink. Thank you for reviving that memory, MJ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter