Maybe this is an unfair question

I have done 5 Tauck Bridges and 1 ABD river cruise. Right now we are booked on the TB Siene river cruise for this June and the Rhine for 2024. For me the ABD Danube was fine, not great, and ranks toward the bottom of our trips in our personal ranking.

I would not consider doing a regular Tauck trip because we always travel with the kids. I am from Texas, and we have never had political discussions with anyone on the trips?!?! I mean, I am on vacation to escape that kind of nonsense.

I seriously cannot count the ways dealing with Tauck is superior: 1. I book the river cruise before pricing is even available to get the rooms I want and can cancel once pricing comes out. No ridiculous early bird discounts or waiting hours on the phone when they open. 2. No dynamic pricing. 3. You can move deposits around on land trips as much as you want 4. When Covid hit they would give a full refund no questions asked but offered an incentive of $500 to leave the money there and didn't have people travel across the globe for trips that were clearly not going to happen. 5. Much more availability on River cruises for single rooms with no single supplement 6. The free pre or post night for repeat customers (at the more expensive hotel) which for us frequently ends up saving close to $1K

You certainly have done many ABDs! I was looking at the South Africa safari for next April, 2024 which isn’t listed yet. What is the best approach to getting a good price on these trips?
Generally, the only way to get a "good" price on an ABD is to book the trip as soon as the departures for the next year are announced (usually May for the following year for land trips). ABD's pricing is dynamic, so the price goes up as the departures fill up. Also, they frequently will have a limited number of "Early Booking" discounts when they first announce, which are departure specific, and are gone when they are gone. Other than that, there's really no other approach. Occasionally, if trips aren't selling, they *might* discount specific departures of certain trips, but there's no way of predicting that, and it doesn't happen that often.

Sayhello

You certainly have done many ABDs! I was looking at the South Africa safari for next April, 2024 which isn’t listed yet. What is the best approach to getting a good price on these trips?
From your DIS pic, looks like you may be DVC? (if I am reading correctly, DVC Grand Floridian in the pic)? In addition to @sayhello comments above, DVC members get opening day pricing whenever they book AbD. Be sure to mention it and ask the Vactionista when you book or have your travel agent do so, to be sure the DVC membership is linked to your AbD profile. This is in addition to any discounts may be offered on selected departures or destinations.

From your DIS pic, looks like you may be DVC? (if I am reading correctly, DVC Grand Floridian in the pic)? In addition to @sayhello comments above, DVC members get opening day pricing whenever they book AbD. Be sure to mention it and ask the Vactionista when you book or have your travel agent do so, to be sure the DVC membership is linked to your AbD profile. This is in addition to any discounts may be offered on selected departures or destinations.
Yes, new Grand Floridian DVC member. This is good information. Thanks!

Good catch!!

Sayhello

.....group trends much older on Tauck, and there is one guide not 2. ...

This depends on the trip. We did Galapagos with Tauck and had 1 Tauck Guide and 3 local guides (Rangers) for most of the trip. There were only 30 people in the group!

We also did Antarctica with Tauck and there were 3 Tauck Guides plus a plethora of local Guides on the ship - all to support about 100 guests.

Getting back to the question... we love Tauck for 'adventure' trips. They have provided us with outstanding customer service and flexibility before/during/after both trips we've taken. They don't necessarily have the same 'magic' as ABD, but I would use them again in a heartbeat - although their pricing is getting a little out of hand post-COVID.

We've done a number of ABD trips as well and have always had a fantastic, memorable time on tour - with lots of unexpected extras. I will say that the booking process has not been as great as Tauck. And ABD pricing has gotten beyond stupid in recent times. Now, we have not done ABD since 2016 so maybe things are different now? But we are doing ABD Greece (adult-only) in May and we are excited for that.

To be fair, both ABD and Tauck have taken good care of us from the moment our plane touched down until the moment our plane left for home. Tauck is a more mature crowd, for sure, and the general vibe is different than ABD. I would say that the ABD Guides are probably more 'engaged' with Guests, but we have really liked our Tauck Guides as well. Really what the decision for us comes down to for us is itinerary and cost.

And for completeness... we've traveled with AMAWaterways a couple of times. This is the provider that ABD uses for river cruises. They are outstanding in every way - great ships, superb service, flexibility, fantastic local guides/excursions. I can understand why ABD chose them. Our first AMA trip was just a river cruise (Amsterdam to basel on the Rhine) and we loved it. We recently followed it up with their Nile cruise (with a pre-cruise add-on in Jordan). It was simply outstanding. Obviously AMA is an older crowd, but I would not hesitate doing a family cruise via ABD.

This depends on the trip. We did Galapagos with Tauck and had 1 Tauck Guide and 3 local guides (Rangers) for most of the trip. There were only 30 people in the group!

We also did Antarctica with Tauck and there were 3 Tauck Guides plus a plethora of local Guides on the ship - all to support about 100 guests.

Getting back to the question... we love Tauck for 'adventure' trips. They have provided us with outstanding customer service and flexibility before/during/after both trips we've taken. They don't necessarily have the same 'magic' as ABD, but I would use them again in a heartbeat - although their pricing is getting a little out of hand post-COVID.

We've done a number of ABD trips as well and have always had a fantastic, memorable time on tour - with lots of unexpected extras. I will say that the booking process has not been as great as Tauck. And ABD pricing has gotten beyond stupid in recent times. Now, we have not done ABD since 2016 so maybe things are different now? But we are doing ABD Greece (adult-only) in May and we are excited for that.

To be fair, both ABD and Tauck have taken good care of us from the moment our plane touched down until the moment our plane left for home. Tauck is a more mature crowd, for sure, and the general vibe is different than ABD. I would say that the ABD Guides are probably more 'engaged' with Guests, but we have really liked our Tauck Guides as well. Really what the decision for us comes down to for us is itinerary and cost.

And for completeness... we've traveled with AMAWaterways a couple of times. This is the provider that ABD uses for river cruises. They are outstanding in every way - great ships, superb service, flexibility, fantastic local guides/excursions. I can understand why ABD chose them. Our first AMA trip was just a river cruise (Amsterdam to basel on the Rhine) and we loved it. We recently followed it up with their Nile cruise (with a pre-cruise add-on in Jordan). It was simply outstanding. Obviously AMA is an older crowd, but I would not hesitate doing a family cruise via ABD.

We value you sharing your balanced insights. Looking at the Africa Safari for 2024 and neither tours have there June 2024 itineraries/rates out. The itinerary will probably dictate which one. I want to go to Capetown and go to the larger reserves in south africa. Hotels are also critical. I reached out to ABD and the information provided was very generic and the disclaimers were included before the itinerary. Tauk has been sending me booklets for years but I need to have a live person to book. With so many tours to choose from focusing on these two has made things easier. Thanks for your time.

I've done both Tauck and ABD and there are pros and cons to both.

Pros Tauck
1) better pricing (summed up in multiple points by a previous poster)
2) older, usually and often better traveled clientele that do not need to boast as I've found, sadly, in every single land ABD
3) more options

Cons Tauck
1) only one guide and their quality can be hit or miss
2) hard to find a travel agent that books them so usually have to wait on their phone line agent availability

Pros ABD
1) the ABD guides-even if there's one I don't love, there's another 😁
2) the river cruise company ABD uses-AMA, is amazing-as others have said
3)the je ne sais quoi of ABD

Cons ABD
1) cost, as we all know
2) absolute lack of flexibility (see 2020, 2021...)
3) intentional or not, the competitiveness facilitated with "how many ABDs have you taken" focus-to the point of a trinket (so silly!)
4) lack of trip options (especially Adult only)

I suspect my next trip will be with Tauck based on itinerary, but I've learned to never say never. I'm just happy to be back exploring again, honestly.

Was supposed to go ABD and was cancelled at the last minute (Covid) but did receive my money back. It was painful to not be able to talk to them about anything. Ended up doing the cancelled ABD trip with Tauk. My TA books both disney and Taiuk so no difference there. Tauk offered the night before in a hotel but since I already move my plane tickets (and wanted a direct flight to Buenos Aires. We were on the same ship that ABD used for Antarctica so except for the Disney extras it was the same. Had three Tauk guides for our group, they left plenty of fun stuff in our cabins and the group was about half the ship so plenty of french speaking folks but they did all the briefings in both languages so it wasn't an issue. (BTW this was a recent trip to Antarctica). Probably wouldn't go on ABD trip but I will never say never and probably won't go on a Tauk trip either. Not because I didn't enjoy them they just aren't doing what I want to do at a price point that I am comfortable with. I have two cruises planned for the rest of the year and in January of next year I will be using Globus for my tour down under :) I don't discriminate.

Just chiming in here because I’m also planning a 2024 South Africa ABD (my mom is having a milestone birthday and I’m determined to take her to Africa to see an elephant in its natural habitat). Spring for us is fall for them, and a lot of what I’ve read recommends September/October as the best time to visit for wildlife because that’s their spring. Obviously people choose travel dates for all kind of reasons, but I wanted to pass that along. My mom’s birthday is in April but we’re electing to go in October based on recommendations.

My mother always travels to Africa in November. It is hit or miss with the weather at that point because it is still early in the season.

Is this still the case? I can't find this on either the DVC or ABD websites (now it says that members should call Member Services for deals on select adventures)

Is this still the case? I can't find this on either the DVC or ABD websites (now it says that members should call Member Services for deals on select adventures)
The "Special pricing" is if you book it through ABD, but tell them you are DVC. Not if you book it through DVC Member Services. That is totally separate.

It's been the policy as long as I can remember, and I haven't heard anything that the policy has changed.

Sayhello

Just chiming in here because I’m also planning a 2024 South Africa ABD (my mom is having a milestone birthday and I’m determined to take her to Africa to see an elephant in its natural habitat). Spring for us is fall for them, and a lot of what I’ve read recommends September/October as the best time to visit for wildlife because that’s their spring. Obviously people choose travel dates for all kind of reasons, but I wanted to pass that along. My mom’s birthday is in April but we’re electing to go in October based on recommendations.
We went the third week of September and it was lovely! I bet October will be great.

The "Special pricing" is if you book it through ABD, but tell them you are DVC. Not if you book it through DVC Member Services. That is totally separate.

It's been the policy as long as I can remember, and I haven't heard anything that the policy has changed.

Sayhello
It’s still in place at least as of last month when I called for pricing. I once referred to it as “opening day price for DVC members” and the Vacationista didn’t know what I was talking about. She eventually found it and said they call it the “DVC offer” so that’s the term I use now.

I've read AMA allows children on any ship - wondering if anyone has done this (outside of ABD) as it looks a lot cheaper? I'd LOVE to do an ABD, but the prices have increased so much since I started looking (which in all fairness, was several years ago), and I'm comfortable navigating Europe on my own. Love the idea of a river cruise for our first trip with our daughter (she'll be 7).

I'm sure folks have. We are booked on the same xmas market itinerary ABD does but earlier in the month (its sad they only do it the week OF Christmas as many markets in Germany close 12/23). We've not done one with ABD to know how to compare it though.

I believe there are only a few lines that limit children (Viking comes to mind.). AMA has a few ships with a few rooms each with a third bed, specifically for families.

I believe there are only a few lines that limit children (Viking comes to mind.). AMA has a few ships with a few rooms each with a third bed, specifically for families.
That's actually because those ships were designed with ABD to accommodate their co-cruises. None of their ships before that accommodated families.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter