Mayonnaise roulette

Butter in general should be kept refrigerated. I would imagine most homes in the summer get above 70 degrees as mentioned below.

View attachment 792531
I only use salted butter, so that helps. I keep it on the counter unless it's hot enough that it gets too soft. I do put it in the fridge if I'm going somewhere for a couple nights or more. Never had any go bad.

We have two kitchens and therefore two refrigerators and we never seem to have mayonnaise in the main kitchen. So, the other day, DH went looking and found five, yes five, opened and partially used jars of mayonnaise. Upon questioning my son, the main suspect, he learned that DS had accidently left a jar of mayonnaise out on the counter overnight and then put it in the fridge in the morning. Not wanting to risk certain death, he opened a new jar rather than use that one. The next time he wanted some, he could not remember which was the bad jar so he got a new one from the pantry...and so on and so on.

So, now we have four good jars and one risky one and no one knows which is which.

🙄
Kids!
once in a blue moon, we add a kraft (or whatever is cheapest) 100-250 ct single packet mayo to an amazon order and use them for sandwiches. The jars are for my wife for her salads, etc....and we can't touch .......since my wife found small amounts of peanut butter, jelly and chocolate pudding in her mayo jar (don't ask). These are a little costly but I think we save money in the long run because we actually use less mayo by using the packets and save on buying new jars after throwing them away for being left out and/or having crusty lid rims.

I only use salted butter, so that helps. I keep it on the counter unless it's hot enough that it gets too soft. I do put it in the fridge if I'm going somewhere for a couple nights or more. Never had any go bad.
We use unsalted butter and always have a few tablespoons in the cupboard. It normally is used within a couple of days, we've never had any go bad. We can't keep it on the counter because our scroungy cats love butter.

I miss those days, Imzadi.
Covid seems to have killed paper coupons in my area,
along with the double/triple offers.
Although the stores really push digital coupons (just not multiplied).

Double coupons went extinct here years ago. But, I thought maybe people in other areas still have it. :( I used to be able to get and donate free full sized soaps and shampoos & feminine hygiene products to women's shelters with the double coupon savings. And one year the shelter got a dozen frozen Mrs. Smith's apple pies for Thanksgiving. (I called the shelter first to make sure they would accept them.)

I think part of paper coupons being gone is also due to people no longer getting newspapers. I remember a time when the grocery stores wouldn't accept digital coupons. There were signs up saying it was due to fraud. That people could Photoshop the coupons with a higher amount off. Ironic, how the systems are so digitized now that things have gone in the opposite direction with them being the only coupons available now.

what i miss from pre covid were the case sales. phenominal prices on canned and jarred goods, some frozen items, certain brands of cereal....at exceptional prices if purchased by the case. we benefited from it as a famly as well as did our local food pantrys-the frat boys sat up tables in front of the stores during the sales and provided a means to donate so people walked out and pulled 3 or 4 items from each of the cases they had purchased and still walked away with a bargain in their cart.

The damn "supply issues" hit farmers really hard during Covid. And there is a lack of workers now everywhere. :(

To keep butter out on the counter, there is a little ceramic crock called a French Butter Keeper. (Also called a butter bell.) It was invented in France in the 19th century.) One packs a stick of butter in the top of the lid area, flips the lid over into the crock that is filled about a third of the way up with cold water. (The water needs to be changed out every few days.) The water creates an airtight seal so the butter stays fresh at room temperature and doesn't go rancid. (The butter keepers only work if the environment is not intensely hot, where the butter would just melt and slide into the water below.)

https://www.amazon.com/Butter-Bell-Original-Collection-Maraschino/dp/B01N27VMYC/

7124Vhj8XcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

718VTu8GnNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

We use unsalted butter and always have a few tablespoons in the cupboard. It normally is used within a couple of days, we've never had any go bad. We can't keep it on the counter because our scroungy cats love butter.
My cats are trained not to get on the counter or table. Correction, my cats are trained not to get CAUGHT on the counter or the table. Which means, when DH leaves the butter dish out without putting the lid on it, we get cat tongue marks on the butter. Luckily for the cats, so far, I have been lucky enough to find it before DH does.

If anyone’s looking for butter that stays soft in the refrigerator, look no further than Aldi’s! Theirs is great.

We buy this, and stock up since we don’t get there more than once a month, if that.

1694433898935.jpeg
If you don’t want sea salt, there is this one, too.

csm_countryside-creamery-spreadable-butter-with-canola-oil-detail_a99736e5e5.jpg

And a “light” version

1694434100431.jpeg

I don’t think they have unsalted in the “spreadable” version, but they do carry it in sticks.

My cats are trained not to get on the counter or table. Correction, my cats are trained not to get CAUGHT on the counter or the table. Which means, when DH leaves the butter dish out without putting the lid on it, we get cat tongue marks on the butter. Luckily for the cats, so far, I have been lucky enough to find it before DH does.

1694435822549.png

1. Can mayonnaise be safely eated to 180 degrees F (without separating or decomposing)?
2. Can a mayonnaise bottle be heated to 180 degrees (without melting or shattering)?
3. Can you get your oven to and to hold an accurate180 degrees F for several hours, some downward undulations to 170 degrees allowed?

Remove the lid of one of the opened bottles and set that loosely on the bottle rim. Use that bottle of mayo' to answer these 3 questions yourself with the bottle sitting in the heat for 6 hours.. Do not rely on other posters' results on this thread because their ovens may vary (may YMMV).

If the tests fail for you then stop and discard all of the bottles of mayo' in question.

If the tests all succeed then wait for the bottle to become cool enough to touch and put it in the fridge, ready for everyone to help themselves to. Repeat for the next bottle (should have been in the fridge waiting its turn).

Last edited:
Why not? It has all the elements of a classic Dis thread

It's about food
It's food that people have strong opinions about
There's varying issues on health and safety matters
And a challenge to someone who is actually qualified to post information
It contains sidebar comments on butter, pasta sauce and is possibly expandable to other condiments.

This is 5 Star stuff here!:earsboy:
I've said it before, food is the primary topic of this forum above all else. A place for people to have beef about corn beef.

Some years ago I left butter on the counter to soften in order to make cookies.

I come back and my cat is up there licking the sticks. No big deal. I shooed her away and made the cookies anyway.

The cookies were delicious and no one died.

Someone mentioned using mayonnaise in cake. I did that once but made the mistake of informing DH about it. He freaked out.

Mayo is basically eggs and oil, standard ingredients in many cake recipes. He grudgingly tried the cake and said it was awesome.

I've kept a bit of butter in a covered butter dish on the kitchen counter my entire adult life, and grew up with it that way as well. In fact I can recall a few bouts of fisticuffs between my brothers and I on Sunday mornings when there was pancakes and not enough soft butter to go around:duck: "I call the soft butter" was like a battle call! None of us was smart enough to think ahead and get more out of the fridge the night before.

Now my husbands grandmother kept a tub of margarine on the kitchen table. Always. He said it separated and was like a inch or 2" thick puddle of oil that they would have to stir into the sludge like oil concoction under the liquid oil. :rolleyes2

My grandmother called margarine “oleo.” I think she kept it refrigerated but took it out for a while before serving it.

I vaguely remember some margarine being white and there was a little tube of yellow food coloring that you were supposed to mix in to make it look appetizing.

1. Can mayonnaise be safely eated to 180 degrees F (without separating or decomposing)?
2. Can a mayonnaise bottle be heated to 180 degrees (without melting or shattering)?
3. Can you get your oven to and to hold an accurate180 degrees F for several hours, some downward undulations to 170 degrees allowed?

Remove the lid of one of the opened bottles and set that loosely on the bottle rim. Use that bottle of mayo' to answer these 3 questions yourself with the bottle sitting in the heat for 6 hours.. Do not rely on other posters' results on this thread because their ovens may vary (may YMMV).

If the tests fail for you then stop and discard all of the bottles of mayo' in question.

If the tests all succeed then wait for the bottle to become cool enough to touch and put it in the fridge, ready for everyone to help themselves to. Repeat for the next bottle (should have been in the fridge waiting its turn).
They are all plastic bottles.

Some years ago I left butter on the counter to soften in order to make cookies.

I come back and my cat is up there licking the sticks. No big deal. I shooed her away and made the cookies anyway.

The cookies were delicious and no one died.

Someone mentioned using mayonnaise in cake. I did that once but made the mistake of informing DH about it. He freaked out.

Mayo is basically eggs and oil, standard ingredients in many cake recipes. He grudgingly tried the cake and said it was awesome.
Our cats are notorious lickers of utensils--butter, sour cream, frosting, you name it. That's why stuff has to go in the dishwasher ASAP.

Chocolate mayonnaise cake is delicious! My sister used to make it for me every year for my birthday. You're right, just keep it on the down low and people will always wonder why the cakes you bake are so moist.

Heating food that has gone bad doesn't make it safe to eat. I don't get the purpose of what is mentioned above.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter