MCO car rental/baggage strategies

paguy215

Earning My Ears
First time going to Disney without ME so this time we are renting car. And we also have to grab our checked bags. We rented Hertz and did their Fast Pass (or whatever it’s called).

Just a few strategy questions to get out as quickly as possible:

1) how easy does the car rental pick up work? Is it really as easy as showing your license and getting the car?

2) how close is the hertz pick up to the baggage claim (we are flying AA)?

3) is it a better idea to have someone get the car while the other waits at baggage claim? Is there an easy area close to baggage claim to leave the car for loading?

4) would a skycap be worth it for simplifying things? How much does that usually cost with tip?

Thanks!

First time going to Disney without ME so this time we are renting car. And we also have to grab our checked bags. We rented Hertz and did their Fast Pass (or whatever it’s called).

Just a few strategy questions to get out as quickly as possible:

1) how easy does the car rental pick up work? Is it really as easy as showing your license and getting the car?

2) how close is the hertz pick up to the baggage claim (we are flying AA)?

3) is it a better idea to have someone get the car while the other waits at baggage claim? Is there an easy area close to baggage claim to leave the car for loading?

4) would a skycap be worth it for simplifying things? How much does that usually cost with tip?

Thanks!
If you have Gold Canopy service with Hertz. From baggage claim you go down the escalator to level 1, across the street to the garage, up the escalator to the left, figure out which car you want from the Gold Aisle, drive it to the exit, provide your driver's license and credit card and you're out.
You may want to have one person pick up baggage while the other selects the vehicle and changes settings that need to be changed while the person is coming with the bags, but you're not going to want to leave the garage with the car and then drive around to baggage claim. It's probably going to be a 10-15 minute drive vs a three or four minute walk.
Skycap doesn't work like that, they are pretty much only for accepting your luggage for an outbound flight.

I agree with the PP. Once the person with the bags has them call the car person and tell them to make their way to the arrivals location. It's easier to have the bag person wait for the car to show then the car waiting on the bags

To add have the car person bring all carry-ons they can handle with the. Especially the phone chargers/cords so you can start charging the phones and get Waze/Car Play or what ever map/interface program you will be using ready.

I agree with the PP. Once the person with the bags has them call the car person and tell them to make their way to the arrivals location. It's easier to have the bag person wait for the car to show then the car waiting on the bags
I believe you misread my post, or I wasn't very clear. My recommendation was specifically to not do what you suggested. It's much faster, and IME easier for whomever is getting the checked bags to come out to the garage, than it would be for whomever is getting the car to leave the garage, drive around the airport to arrivals, stop and then load up the car.

I believe you misread my post, or I wasn't very clear. My recommendation was specifically to not do what you suggested. It's much faster, and IME easier for whomever is getting the checked bags to come out to the garage, than it would be for whomever is getting the car to leave the garage, drive around the airport to arrivals, stop and then load up the car.
Yep, I thought you meant keep driving around in circles until the bags were ready :)

Also, There are tolls so you'll want to bring change or register for visitorstollpass.com and then you can just pick up your pass on the way to the Hertz garage. It's a hangtag for your rearview mirror and then you don't have to stop for tolls. When you drop off your car there are mailboxes (for lack of a better word) and you just through your hangtag in the box on your way to check in. Very efficient and easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter