Meeting Characters without Kids

BudgieMama

DIS Veteran
So, we're planning our first trip, something I've dreamed of for as long as I can remember. One thing I really want to do is meet some characters- there are a few must meet, and I'd like to get some autographs and photos (and hopefully a hug from Mickey)...

Are they OK about meeting adult only groups? They're not funny about it, are they? I know DH will fell in I uncomfortable if we get funny looks or something for queuing up without children in tow.

I had the same reservations and as a single adult male I felt pretty awkward in line waiting to meet my first character, mainly because I was literally the only adult waiting in a line without kids, but as soon as Goofy pulled me in for a hug and started messing with me it was totally worth it and I never felt awkward waiting to meet the other characters after that.

The characters were fantastic and made me feel very comfortable, one of the highlights of my trip was how fun the character interactions were and I love the pictures.

I've met Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Daisy, and Stitch. As comfortable as I am meeting the cartoon characters I still haven't gotten the nerve to meet the Princesses and face characters, I worry I won't know what to say to them :confused3, I spent about a half hour watching the evil stepsisters meet other guests the last time I was in DL and their interactions were cracking me up but I never did get in line to meet them myself. Maybe next time...

Don't be afraid to do it!! You will have fun!! I met face and furry characters all the time. Check out Kenny the pirates website. He has a whole page dedicated on what to say to them

I'm not huge on meeting characters. I'll usually do it if whoever I'm with really wants to.But I always have to meet Mickey. I guess it's an unofficial rule of mine. I get all giddy like a schoolboy too haha. When I go solo in May I'm still going to meet him. Who cares what others think. You may feel awkward standing in line but the second a character directs their attention to you it all just goes away.

I went on a solo trip earlier this month and was nervous about meeting characters too. I have never been a character person but I decided on this trip to do things that I'd never done before, so I made an effort to meet a couple of them.

I booked a FP+ to meet Mickey and Minnie in AK right when the park opened. Totally didn't need a FP+ at all because the place was DESERTED and not only was I the only adult in line, I was literally the only person in line at all! Talk about awkward... I REALLY felt silly at that point.

But once I got into the room and Mickey and Minnie were there and they kissed and hugged me and took pictures with me, I was instantly in child mode. I was as excited as any little kid would be, it was ridiculous and dare I say... magical! haha. Totally memorable experience.

Anyway after that through the course of the next few days I met Mickey again, Donald, and even Gaston, and they were all wonderful. It is a little awkward but whatever, who cares. It's your vacation, do what you want. I felt a little awkward about Gaston because he's a face character, so I told him to record a video for my friend who is a huge fan, and that eased up the awkwardness a little haha.

Next time I go I wanna meet more characters for sure, but I also won't wait in long lines for 'em so it'll have to be random occurrences again.

I do all the charecters by myself.I take shellie may the disney bear with me and im 21.I love it.I dont feel akward and i dont think men should either.Whenever i meet the charecters its like its really them.Thats magic everyone should enjoy.

Go for it. Heck I'm a single guy who looks like an extra from Sons Of Anarchy and kids can look at me weird as much as they want, I'm getting my photo with Dug.

We are 3 adults and one morning ate breakfast at Chef Mickey's during our Dec trip. All of the characters gave us hugs and insisted we take pics with them. Other adult tables had autograph books they signed. Also, we had a BOG dinner and you have to take a pic with beast before you leave. Just some ideas for you to consider. We are considering Crystal Palace our next trip for the Winne the Pooh characters.

EPCOT has several character meeting spots. I seem to recall others who had the same concern who felt very comfortable at EPCOT. As others have said the characters will always make you feel like a kid and very welcome.

I LOVE the characters! I am fortunate to have two kids to bring along when I meet them but I would definitely meet them solo! It's so much easier to interact with them and you can ask them to do fun poses with you which is sometimes easier without a child. Everyone in my family rolls their eyes at my giddy attitude about the characters. My sister and bro in law take pics with them without kids and they have a blast. A lot more adults do it than you think. It's Disney the only place to live in Fantasyland without being judged! Have fun with them! They love it!

JamesGarvey said:
Go for it. Heck I'm a single guy who looks like an extra from Sons Of Anarchy and kids can look at me weird as much as they want, I'm getting my photo with Dug.

I got my photo with Dug & Russell at AK. And I got a photo of me & Mickey that was taken at HS. And I have no kids. I'm sure I looked silly being the only adult female standing in line with no kids but I didn't care.

I'm a big fan of "Up" and I was so excited to meet Dug and Russell last year. They were super sweet - I told them they were my heroes, and their story was one of my favorite stories ever, and they made a big fuss over me. They were ready to come home with me until Dug heard he would have to get on an airplane and got scared. Russell still wanted to go (and even took my hand and started to walk away with me when I left them) but decided he'd better stay with Dug.

I have met more characters over my two solo trips; they've all been nice and welcoming, and some of them have been especially great. I was the middle aged lady with no kids standing in line to meet Handy Manny a couple of years ago; CMs were totally nice about it, and Manny was very sweet. I thanked him for helping me get back some of my high school Spanish, and told him to give Pat (the Hammer) a hug from me because he's my favorite, and Manny gave me a big hug. I actually booked H&V breakfast this year to see Doc and Sofia (yes, I watch too much Disney Jr).

I always have to go by Town Square Theatre to meet Mickey and get a picture with him, and I always have to stop by to say hi to my favorite boys, Phineas and Ferb. :goodvibes

Oh, CynBeth - we did Crystal Palace for breakfast on our two family trips (1999 and 2004) as all adults and loved it; the Pooh gang is great. In '04, Pooh came up behind my Dad and gave him a big hug around the shoulders; it was so cute. I got up to take a pic with Pooh, and when we were done he tried to take my seat and finish my breakfast!

LOL, when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought, well most of the characters are without kids, except Goofy with his son Max (who is the mom?)

Anyway, the characters are totally used to meeting adults without kids, so no issues there.

Sometimes there is confusion from some kid out of turn running up in front of you. I don't know if this also happens to families, or only to adults without kids.

But, meeting characters is a major part of the experience - don't miss it!

I'm an adult without kids and I've never met any characters. I wanted to meet Gaston on my last trip but my Magic Kingdom plans just got kind of screwed up.

We are two empty nesters who did a few character meets on our last trip. Epcot Character Spot was our favorite. Mickey was so fun and we got great photos of my usually serious husband with ear to ear grins and flirting with Minnie!

I generally stay away from the characters in suits (nothing against them, I just have a slight phobia of not being able to see a person's face), so I always meet the princesses and princes. ^^ they're really nice!

I travelled to Disneyland Resort CA last year on a solo trip. I was at the parks for 5 days in total and met all the characters I wanted too. I just thought that I would never see any of the people in the lines ever again so why should I worry If they thought I was strange haha! I met Mickey, Minnie, Pluto and Peter pan about 5 times, He knew who I was which helped a bit. :yay: Once you get speaking to them you forget about all the people watching anyway! Just go for it :) !

I meet and take pictures all the time with the characters and I am usually by myself but sometimes my adult friends are with me. Heck I even stood in line for 20 minutes to take pictures with all the princesses on a cruise and I was by myself.

DH and I really enjoy the characters. We go to WDW each fall. Last year we spent the bulk of our time doing meet and greets. All the characters were wonderful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter