Member Cruise points problem

happenin2you

Mouseketeer
I called today to book the member cruise and got all the way to the points part and was told I can only use/borrow 50% of 2022 points. I have 360 points per year and I only have 66 remaining for this year- math says I can use 606 points and I need at least 716 to book to smallest inside room. I don't understand why I can only borrow 50%. Especially with things as they are right now and not all the resorts even being open for people to use their points at. And we can't realistically be expecting a ton of people to bank because then there will be limited availability in the future. This is such a mess, in my opinion. Thoughts?

They don’t want to allow people to bring forward points when so many people have extra, and have banked at a higher rate than normal,

So, they are attempting to help with the imbalance, Now, in the case of the cruise, I think it would have been nice to allow you to borrow more since it takes it out of the system for DVC rooms...which is where the availability is the issue.

They don’t want to allow people to bring forward points when so many people have extra, and have banked at a higher rate than normal,

So, they are attempting to help with the imbalance, Now, in the case of the cruise, I think it would have been nice to allow you to borrow more since it takes it out of the system for DVC rooms...which is where the availability is the issue.
I agree with you! I wish they would have allowed the borrowing.

I emailed member services so we'll see what happens. I'm basically begging. The cruise leaves on my birthday, it's the first one I've seen that doesn't conflict with my teaching schedule, and I'm a teacher who's world has been turned upside down in moving all teaching online with very little time and resources in one of the largest and most underfunded school districts in the country. I'm going to be sooo ready for a trip.

Sadly I feel like they have to "make the rules and stick to them" One of the downsides of social media "Disney gave me an exception" leads to "well I saw online that person X got an exception"

There are still Members who have banked points from 2018 (September use year) that haven't had a chance to use them. There is also an abnormal number of 2019 banked points chasing availability for 2020 & 2021.

My guess is that DVCMC wants to keep availability for those Members to at least have a chance at using their points. Using points for cruising still uses DVC nights. Borrowing just adds to the glut of points chasing availability.

OP is on the losing end of DVC's decision to allow Members caught in the closures to have some chance to use expiring points. Both sides have my sympathies.

ETA: Is paying cash for part of the cruise an option for you?

Except that the points used for cruises are then used to reserve DVC units for cash reservations, to rent out to recoup the cost of the cruise booking. So that borrow doesn't actually take points out of the sytem for rooms at all.

Except that the points used for cruises are then used to reserve DVC units for cash reservations, to rent out to recoup the cost of the cruise booking. So that borrow doesn't actually take points out of the sytem for rooms at all.

For some reason I was assuming the DVC member cruise was treated differently as it is a perk for certain owners

But you are right, if it is not, then It makes sense that the rule is applied the same.

For some reason I was assuming the DVC member cruise was treated differently as it is a perk for certain owners

But you are right, if it is not, then It makes sense that the rule is applied the same.
I'm assuming they have to pay the charter fee and expenses for the sailing as some form of financial transfer to DCL. Sailing one of the ships is a pretty expensive proposition and I'd expect points rental (which is what it is, only on Disney's end) is required to pay the bills. Chartering DCL makes a night of park rental with fireworks look like a real economy-class deal.

DCL doesn't publish a price list, but RCCL does: http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/full-ship-charter-faqs/
ouch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter