Menehune Mischief Dining

Gorechick

DIS Veteran
This sounds like fun! Yes, it's pricey but we're used to WDW character meal pricing anyway. It's available for one day during our stay. I wish there were more details but does anyone have reviews of their dining experience at Makahiki?

I hadn't heard about this. Where can I find details?

A "Menehune Mischief" Character Dinner has been added for the month of January. Join "Uncle" and the Disney characters for a meal that will celebrate the Menehune, the mischievous and playful little people of Hawaii's forests, with music, sing-alongs and interactive stories.
January 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 25, and 28: 5-6pm (photo ops begin at 4:45pm)
January 20: 5-9:30pm (photo ops begin at 4:45pm)
Adults-$47, Kids ages 9 and under-$21. Call 800-674-6200 to make reservations.

I'm not sure if you were able to attend this dinner yet, but I came across this post before I went and decided to sign up and post my experience here in case anyone else wants to go in the future. I went on January 20th, which was the 5-9:30pm night since I wasn't sure if it would be a very long show, or the same show several times.

As described in the post above, character photo ops start at 4:45 so I got there at 4:45 and we were only the second family to check in. Donald Duck was at the entrance taking pictures and because there was no one behind us, we spent a lot of time with him. The CD of all our pictures was $32, which was not bad considering we had 10 unique pictures with Donald since we were there for so long. The buffet seems similar to what it always has been so I won’t get into reviewing the food. Stitch and Goofy were the characters making the rounds during the meal and because there weren't that many people at 5pm, they also spent a lot of time interacting with us and would keep coming back, even though we had no kids.

At around 5:30, the “Uncle” came out, who is a more portly, jolly man and started to sing and do his bit where he would search for the menehune causing mischief around the restaurant. There are some interactive activities that all revolved around having the kids come to the front, be given a maraca type instrument and march around the restaurant. One tip I have is, each of his segments are maybe 10-15 minutes long and he breaks in between so if you feel like you can’t leave your table to get more food because you don’t want to miss something, know that it will be over soon. His voice is projected all throughout the restaurant so you can rush back to your table if you feel like you need to. Also, since he walks all around the restaurant, even if you're not sitting in the front, you won't be missing much because he'll walk to you shortly. I’m not sure if they’ll switch out the characters each night since it was Stitch and Goofy for us, but the show seems to be heavily dependent on Stitch being a mischievous character so I’d think he’s permanent and maybe Goofy could be switched for other characters.

At 6:30, the same show started over again so each full unique show is about 45 minutes with breaks within and they just redo the same show until 9:30. Overall, the price of the dinner was $47 per adult, which is about the same as the normal dinner buffet at Makahiki. I’ve done the Hoop dee doo Revue at Disney World before, which is a bit more expensive, but that's a much more detailed show with more actors albeit with less quality food and no Disney characters. However, I did love that waiters brought food to your table so you wouldn’t miss the show vs. at the Menehune Mischief show, I kept feeling like I might miss something if I got up. While I wouldn't pay $47 to just eat the dinner, with the show and quality character interactions added in, I would highly recommend it. It was really great to have some Disney magic to look forward to during our trip, even though we didn't stay at the Aulani resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter