Mexico ....

Which side of Mexico ...

• Gulf/Caribbean

• Pacific

Results are only viewable after voting.

mikayla73

DIS Veteran
OK for all the people who have been to Mexico (DVC or not) ...

I am trying to decide where in Mexico I would like to go. Could anyone who has been give the their opinion on the Pacific side vs. the Gulf/Caribbean side. I think it is a toss up between Puerta Vallarta and Cancun, but I was wondering about how the water was in each place. Is it more clear, calm on one side than the other?

Thanks for any input!

We went to Playa del Carmen on the caribbean side and it was just absolutely beautiful. We were supposed to go back this year, but our travel agent stole our money (another story in itself). The water down the coast in some places reminds me of a sky blue snowball it's that blue. It's just breath taking.

Been to Cancun and Cabo San Lucas. Enjoy Cabo more because the weather is not as hot and humid, and not as congested with hotels/condos. But the Pacific and Sea of Cortez can be pretty rough, and Cancun offers better ocean swimming. One factor is which side of the country you are flying in from. Can be a long flight to Cabo from outside the west coast.

I'd say try both. :-)

Never was to the Pacific side, but I would recommend Playa Del Carman for a more laid back vacation. Cancun is much more lively and upbeat.

I honeymooned at the Moon Palace, it was great and away from Cancun. They were selling time shares so they may trade. The high school and college kids don't stay there. We went into the Cancun town where everything is and I will never return. Too many drunk teenagers. Plus our charter plane smuggled people back on our return flight. its a long story, that does involve the authorities, but I don't know the outcome.

Only been to Mexico once...Puerta Vallarta, loved every minute of it :thumbsup2

Both are good. Cancun is more Americanized, PV is a nice mix. Not as comercialized as Cancun but still very friendly and workable for any US traveler. Ixtapa, Manzanillo and the like will be more old world Mexican but less travel friendly to a degree. Some will like that better, others will be turned off by it.

Cancun will have the best resorts since they have the Royals. The best resorts in PV are actually about 20 min north in Nuevo Vallarta. If you want to lie on the beach, I'd do NV (PV). Paradise Village is the best resort on the DVC list. If you want to ease in to a Mexican feel, Cancun might be better. I can't speak as much for the Cabo areas.

It also depends on where you are. If you are East coast it will be easier and cheaper to get to Cancun, from the west Coast, the opposite is likely true.

For a great change of pace, try Mazatlan on the Pacific coast. Not nearly as touristy as the other places. Nice resorts (Try El cid) Great food and wonderful town.

We are actually in MO, so the Gulf side would be easier to get to. Thanks everybody for the input.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter