MICKEY & US - Day 1. She did WHAT?!

Poohshoney

<font color=6666CC>Ya-ya sister!<br><font color=gr
Carol (40, British) – dangerously Disney obsessed.
Roland (35, German) – puts up with me somehow.

Mickey – our beanie, on his first trip `home´.

Sunday, 21 March 2002

I like this holidaying in the sun business. You don’t have to pack lots of warm clothes, just in case. Pulling my suitcase this time was a breeze – can we go every year?
We got the tram to the station. There was a student doing surveys, ever so sweet she was. She started by stating which stop people had got on at and all was going well until an old lady with a big suitcase said, “No I haven’t. I've come from Spain. And I'm going to Sandhofen but there wasn’t a tram going there so I've got on this one´. Shame we had to get off at the next stop, it was getting interesting. Surreal, but interesting.
No problems with the train and no trouble getting seats, which was a nice surprise. Ate our bananas and began to relax. The woman at the BA check-in soon put a stop to that. I'd like to tell you (and BA) her name but she was the only one not wearing a badge. We were going to Florida, staying overnight at Gatwick. It said so on our tickets. As my suitcase began its slow descent, Roland turned and said, “She’s marked it MCO.” She’s done WHAT?! We both turned to her. Now she hadn’t smiled at us since we got there, she hadn’t even said hello, just “Your tickets and passports.” And she never asked ANY security questions. I stopped worrying about that though. Roland asked where she’d marked our suitcases to and she looked all the way down her pretty nose and sneered “MCO. It’s where you’re going.” “We’re going to Gatwick. We don’t fly on to MCO till tomorrow.” “What?” I was beginning to get a bit peeved – I mean, what is there to misunderstand in that? We repeated it and got a huge sigh and a pout for our troubles, though she managed not to roll her eyes. She ripped the MCO label off Roland’s suitcase and threw it under her desk. I tried not to smirk when she then had to crawl about on the floor because she still needed it and couldn’t find it – the fate of my suitcase was in her hands. She bashed about on the computer, (not easy with inch long fingernails), wrote new labels, shoved our boarding passes at us and snarled, “Watch the board for the gate number.” Hang on a minute petal, what about our suitcase? Through clenched teeth we were told that she’d put in the computer and her colleagues would sort it out.” Did we feel reassured? It’s not the word that springs to mind.
There followed a long and boring wait, enlivened only McDonald’s and the various security checks. That’s how exciting Frankfurt airport is.
We were still worrying about the suitcase when we were called to board – with just cause. When they scanned Roland’s boarding card, it beeped! The rest of the passengers filed round us, suspicion written all over their faces. Our hearts sank. Turned out they couldn’t make head nor tail of what madam had written and she’d gone home. The angel at the gate listened to our story and looked worried. “I'd better get Lee,” she said, grabbing her walkie-talkie. Which didn’t work. She’d just phoned someone to go find him when the man himself strolled round the corner. The three of us told him again. I should mention at this point that it’s fifteen minutes to take off and there’s a bus full of passengers sitting on the boiling tarmac waiting for us. We found out that our suitcase was in the `red-tag zone´ awaiting shipment to Gatwick – the next day. “Right,” said the lovely Lee. “I'll see what I can do. If you don’t see it in Gatwick, tell them what’s happened.” Still worrying, we slunk on the bus, ignoring the glares. Ten minutes to take off. But the bus didn’t move for another five minutes, not until two more passengers had got on. We lifted our heads high again, knowing the late take off wasn’t our fault! And just as we were about to climb the steps to the plane, the lovely Lee appeared. “Look under the plane.” And there it was, in the middle of the runway, all on it’s own. “That your suitcase?” We nodded ecstatically. Lovely man.
We didn’t like to risk relaxing again but it certainly wasn’t the cabin crew’s fault. Stuart, Bert, Doris and Maureen were the best either of us has ever seen. And the food was the best we’d ever had. Thick succulent poached salmon steaks with horseradish mayonnaise – it melted in the mouth. Then a gorgeous creamy vanilla dessert – very moreish! We landed in Gatwick on time – and so did our suitcases. Bless you Lee!
We phoned the B&B so they’d fetch us, grabbed baguettes, sweets and water at Whistlestop, bought soap at Boot’s then snuck a look at a TV guide in Smith’s and still managed to be outside in time. The Lawns is an excellent B&B, very pretty and a lot of thought has obviously been put into providing the little extras that make it stand out in its class. We were a bit worried about the herd of elephants upstairs but they obviously had an early night too. We’d have been too tired to go out even if we’d wanted to, but we didn’t. We wanted undubbed telly! We spent a happy evening, eating things we’d missed, watching Corrie and a great programme with James Bolam and Michael French before trying to get some sleep. We’d wondered if we’d be too excited to sleep but that wasn’t the problem. Our one and only criticism of the B&B was the beds. We’re used to a firm mattress and this one was so soft you could have toasted it. Having to keep hauling yourself out of the middle of the bed because your spouse has already rolled there doesn’t make for a good night’s kip. But it didn’t really matter. We were going to Disney tomorrow!

Next, Day 2 – Why’s it always my suitcase!

I love your writing style. I feel like I'm sitting right there with you as you tell us what happened.
I can't wait for the next installment.
Thanks for taking the time to post.

:eek: I would have been panicking about the suitcase!

Another thumbs up for the Lawns (the twin beds weren't too bad ;) )

Great report..:D

Born and Bred..that is the programme...:)

Krisalee you’re welcome!
If you followed the links from the Solo & Adults Board (thanks again TheLorax2000!) you might have missed the first two parts – The Prequel and The Planning Marathon. They make a couple of things clearer!

:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter