Mini TR for another Boston Road Trip - updated Nov 22

What a disappointment about the possibility of missing your son's graduation. I will hold out hope that prayers and pixie dust somehow allow you to attend (without a $2K hotel stay involved!!)

Of course, further travel restrictions in and out of Canada are not boding well for my getting to my son's graduation in May. Right now there is threat of having to stay in a quarantine hotel for $2k upon your return. Right now until April 30th, hoping that was just to kill March break travel and that it will go away by early May. Otherwise...I'm not sure what I will do. My son may have to hotel quarantine by himself and I may or may not get to see him graduate. I'm very sad about this, and trying not to lose all hope - YET. But it's not looking good.
I feel so badly for you over that. It's not easy. There was no graduation at all for Stuart and Jamie when they graduated last June. We got an email to pick up their diplomas at the school in early November and that was it. I was really sad about it but they could not have cared less.
But does this mean that if you are staying OFF Disney property...you will never again have a chance to rope drop anything? If that is the truth...why isn't everyone going nuts about this? Maybe because who knows what will happen when things eventually get to some semblance of post-covid "normal" and they figure it out...but...this seems like a big deal to me! I love me some Disney bubble and all, and hope to stay onsite again sometimes...but....depending on the circumstances and who I travel with - ie: big spenders or not...sometimes it just makes more sense to stay offsite...but then...NO rope drop? That means basically no headliner rides at all unless you want to be in line for literally hours...?
There has to be something special for onsite guests.......with everything being taken away there has to be a perk or two given.
In good news....Canada has agreed to allow 6 doses to be extracted from each dose of Pfizer vaccine!! Yay!! I find it so absurd that they had to do a study on this and then make a rule...just do it people!!
Finally.......now if they could just get a vaccine schedule set up so we know when we are getting our shots, things would be good. I am not happy at all with the way our government has handled this.
I will hang onto that 1% with you!! Here's hoping!!! I just found it really hard to watch the SB on Sunday and have it look like people are behaving "almost normally" over there. I know it's nowhere near normal...but it's like a lot of Americans are just...going about their lives? It's hard to watch without being both jealous and angry! I could go on...but I won't because I know there are all types here lol
I feel exactly the same! Watching that behaviour makes me feel so discouraged. We are trying to do the right thing but some people are spoiling it for everyone else. :(

Curious to see what you think of it.

So far Goodfood has been really....good!! The recipes are definitely more involved than what I would normally try, but they make it pretty easy!! I get stressed out when there are too many things happening at the same time though lol

Totally get that. I've put my limit for going for a run at -20C. And since it hasn't been above that for 3-4 days... no runs.

Yeah. Sigh. When I used to be a runner I actually liked going when it was awful out because I felt so badass lol when you see people looking at you like you are nuts?? But sadly can't bring myself to do it anymore...and I just look at other runners and think they are nuts lol.

Yeah, and I just heard today that they're going to require a negative covid test at land crossings too, now.

Yeah, I find it odd that they weren't already doing this? But at least as of now there is no hotel stay. I'm hoping this stays as is so maybe I can drive my son home? Not sure how that will work since it would take 4 days to drive to Utah...but in May...might not be a bad road trip!

What a disappointment about the possibility of missing your son's graduation. I will hold out hope that prayers and pixie dust somehow allow you to attend (without a $2K hotel stay involved!!)

Thanks!! Me too! I think about it daily and try to come up with a way. It's hard though with rules changing all the time.

I feel so badly for you over that. It's not easy. There was no graduation at all for Stuart and Jamie when they graduated last June. We got an email to pick up their diplomas at the school in early November and that was it. I was really sad about it but they could not have cared less.

I'm sorry your sons didn't get a real grad. I hope that Carter gets to have one. I actually worry more about the possibility that because his school is in the US, that they will be allowed to go ahead with an in person grad, but that I won't be able to be there. Which would almost be worse than not having it because he wouldn't get to have any family there. Ugh. It's bad all around. Damn covid.

Finally.......now if they could just get a vaccine schedule set up so we know when we are getting our shots, things would be good. I am not happy at all with the way our government has handled this.

So with you here. It's been awful. They are now saying vaccines will pick up and they will start having more big vaccination centers etc. But I've completely lost faith in the government now....who knows how it will go down.

Just trying to catch back up after being away for a spell. :) All caught up now and will try to stay up-to-date moving forward, Kathy. :) So sorry you can't go to your son's grad. That really stinks! :(

Just trying to catch back up after being away for a spell. :) All caught up now and will try to stay up-to-date moving forward, Kathy. :) So sorry you can't go to your son's grad. That really stinks! :(

Hey nice to see you!!

Re: Son's grad...yeah it does stink. I haven't 100% given up hope yet...but if I do go...there will be a lot of hoops to jump through and it's quite a risk, also not even sure we can get travel insurance that would cover covid because the government is advising against all travel so. Ugh. Anyway...I am trying to stay calm about it until mid April and then see how things look but...not great.

Hey nice to see you!!

Re: Son's grad...yeah it does stink. I haven't 100% given up hope yet...but if I do go...there will be a lot of hoops to jump through and it's quite a risk, also not even sure we can get travel insurance that would cover covid because the government is advising against all travel so. Ugh. Anyway...I am trying to stay calm about it until mid April and then see how things look but...not great.
We've been getting really good vibes and news down here with trends VERY quickly going downwards. I'm encouraged! Fingers crossed for you!

Hellooooo DISpeeps!

I can't believe it's March again!! It's really crazy to think that we have been living this Twilight Zone existence for almost a year now. A year ago, I was excited about our upcoming epic Disney trip and had just returned from a Caribbean cruise!! The FB memories are killing me!!

Canada is still doing dismally terrible on the vaccine distribution front...BUT with the US doing theirs at a much more acceptable pace...I'm trying to hold on to a sliver of hope that I might be able to use my AP once more before it expires on August 3. I'm also planning to beg Disney for a further extension even though that's probably futile!! Ideally I'd love to get it extended until end of 2021, but a couple of months would even help...as my son will (with any luck) be safely at college and then I could really use a trip!!

My mind changes every day as to whether I can (or should) attempt to get to Utah for my son's graduation. I've gone so far as to investigate flights and book some hotel nights - with free cancellation. It's kind of like planning a dream Disney trip that may or may not happen lol. There is pretty much zero chance that I will be vaccinated before May 9, which is when I'd like to depart if I do go. But, in UT, and specifically at my son's school, all the teachers and staff have been vaccinated, and the school is in a tiny town that has done very well covid-wise overall, so I do think that if I can survive the trip out there, it's relatively low risk once I get to that town. The school is planning for the grad to be outdoors, weather permitting and socially distanced. If the weather is bad, they do have a big indoor space where they could distance the attendees, and of course enforce mask wearing. There is even a chance that the general population could be getting vaccinated by the time I'd go...maybe I can get myself a dose too lol if that's the case...likely not without a US address...but you never know...

There would be a lot of other hoops to jump through, including covid testing before departure and before coming home. And, as of now there is the mandatory hotel quarantine upon arrival into Canada as well, but no one knows if that will be extended beyond April 30th. It's expensive, and also, from what I hear, ridiculously inconvenient to book. But, if that is what it takes to go see my son graduate, and bring him home, I think I'm willing to do it. That said, I'm not going to actually spend any money on this until much closer to May.

So back to dream trip planning...IF I do go...and jump through all the required hoops...ideally I'd like to also do a little side trip to Moab, because this is a bucket list place I've wanted to visit since my first trip to UT three years ago. If you've never seen it...just google "Arches National Park" and you'll see why it's a must see. I figure a solo drive/hike around a national park is about the safest type of covid time travel there is, and I'd really like to do it before my son's time in UT comes to an end. It isn't the most accessible place to get to, and I don't know how likely it is that I'll be returning to that part of the US again anytime soon. Not for lack of wanting to...but there are sooooo many other amazing places I hope to travel to (once we can travel more freely again!!)

Anyway...so....in my dream plan...I will fly from Toronto to Salt Lake City on around May 9....most likely with a stopover in Detroit, Minnesota, or Chicago, since during covid times there are no longer any Toronto-SLC direct flights...ugh! Again...there is a sliver of hope that could change by May but...not counting those chickens yet. I then hope to stay in SLC for two nights and catch up with several friends that I have in the SLC area. Most likely....at outdoor patios while socially distant (even though...I don't know how strict rules are in UT right now but...I will have to be uber careful)

Then I hope to rent a car, and drive about 3 hours to Moab where I will stay for 2 nights and explore the national park as much as I can but while also doing some relaxing at a lovely pool! Then, fully relaxed, I hope to drive to Mt. Pleasant, UT (3 hours from Moab) where I will stay for 2 nights to attend son's graduation!

After that, I'm really hoping I can find somewhere to get my son and I a pre-return-flight covid test with quick results, before heading back to Salt Lake City, and flying home. Depending on the logistics of that, we may have to spend a night in a hotel in Salt Lake before flying home. We are also considering flying to Buffalo instead of Toronto because it's only about an hour away, but again...those types of plans can't be made too far ahead during these crazy times!!

Does anyone know if you need a covid test to fly domestically within the US? I know we will need one to be able to get back into Canada, but I'm wondering if we fly from SLC to Buffalo before we have our test results if that is possible?

Anyway....other than dreaming about possibly going on a plane to anywhere...it's been pretty much...groundhog day (still) around here as our area continues to be under stay at home order...and considers moving into the grey "lockdown" zone...which...isn't really all that different.....and we wait with baited breath for the ability to make vaccine appointments!!

Hope everyone is doing well!!

I can't believe it's March again!!
It feels to me like it's still March. Just one long March.
A year ago, I was excited about our upcoming epic Disney trip and had just returned from a Caribbean cruise!! The FB memories are killing me!!
I've been seeing those... it's like another planet.
Canada is still doing dismally terrible on the vaccine distribution front..
:sad2: I know. I think last time I looked we were 54th among first world countries? Terrible.
There is pretty much zero chance that I will be vaccinated before May 9, which is when I'd like to depart if I do go
Never say never. Now Trudeau is saying everyone will have a chance by June. So May may not be out of the realm of possibility.
And, as of now there is the mandatory hotel quarantine upon arrival into Canada as well, but no one knows if that will be extended beyond April 30th. It's expensive
Yup. What a weird set up.
and also, from what I hear, ridiculously inconvenient to book.
Hadn't heard that. Huh. Wonder why?
.ideally I'd like to also do a little side trip to Moab, because this is a bucket list place I've wanted to visit since my first trip to ** three years ago. If you've never seen it...just google "Arches National Park" and you'll see why it's a must see.
I'd love to see Arches too some day.
And... very strange that the DIS blanks out the acronym for Utah. What on Earth is wrong with UT? Excuse me, U.T.?

I posted the question on the Support page. We'll see if I get an answer.
there are sooooo many other amazing places I hope to travel to (once we can travel more freely again!!)
Oh, man... soooo many!

In some ways it almost feels like we are STILL in March 2020, doesn't it!?! In other ways, it seems like a lifetime ago.

I do hope you're able to attend your son's graduation--such a milestone, and it would be a shame if you weren't able, simply due to travel restrictions.

I love the sounds of your plan to visit Moab! It does look incredible! I have not traveled at all west of the Mississippi, but it is definitely on my "someday" list to get out there and do some adventuring!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that things start to calm down in time for you to make the trip!!

Also, I don't know for certain, but I don't believe you are required to have a COVID test for domestic travel. At least you didn't when we flew this summer between Illinois and Florida!

It feels to me like it's still March. Just one long March.

It really does feel like one ridiculously long March...at least the days are getting longer and there is more sunlight...but it's still ridiculously cold...though I'm sure not as cold as where you are @pkondz lol

I know. I think last time I looked we were 54th among first world countries? Terrible.

It is terrible, and sooo frustrating...and also sad. I also think that Trudeau really over promised and the messaging was confusing all along. If they had just said it like they really expected...maybe everyone wouldn't be so mad about it? Who knows.

Never say never. Now Trudeau is saying everyone will have a chance by June. So May may not be out of the realm of possibility.

Crossing fingers!! I just heard that the J&J vaccine was approved in Canada so that's a plus...but I don't have much confidence that it won't take another several months for the government to figure out how to get it here, and then how to distribute it considering the way they have bungled everything so far...but you never know!!

Hadn't heard that. Huh. Wonder why?

Yeah re: hotel quarantines...there were horror stories of people wanting to do the right thing, but waiting hours on hold because at first you could ONLY book the hotel quarantine by phone and not online...ugh. I "think" at least now a few of the hotels are available to book online, so that's something. Hopefully in another two months that rule will either be gone, or at least the hotels and the govt. will have sorted out the details a bit more so it won't be so painful, who knows.

I'd love to see Arches too some day.
And... very strange that the DIS blanks out the acronym for Utah. What on Earth is wrong with **? Excuse me, U.T.?

What?? Weird....not like UT is a swear word in any way I don't think??? (not sure if it will blank it out again...but...very weird...Yes, Arches looks really amazing. It's still a good 3 hour drive (each way) out of my way, but I think my son's school is as close as I may get to that area anytime soon, so it might be now or never...

In some ways it almost feels like we are STILL in March 2020, doesn't it!?! In other ways, it seems like a lifetime ago.

It totally does. Thankfully at least...we have lived through hopefully the worst part, knocking on wood!!

I do hope you're able to attend your son's graduation--such a milestone, and it would be a shame if you weren't able, simply due to travel restrictions.

Me tooo!!! It is a huge milestone for everyone, but I feel like for my son it has been an extra long and bumpy road to get to this point, and I would really hate to miss celebrating that.

Also, I don't know for certain, but I don't believe you are required to have a COVID test for domestic travel. At least you didn't when we flew this summer between Illinois and Florida!

Well that's good to hear, hopefully it stays that way. It's a lot of logistics to figure out how to get a covid test within the 72 hour time frame of crossing the border, but get the results in time to get on the plane...ugh. Working on trying to figure that out!

It really does feel like one ridiculously long March...at least the days are getting longer and there is more sunlight...but it's still ridiculously cold...though I'm sure not as cold as where you are @pkondz lol
Actually... we're 6 degrees warmer than you are right now! :laughing:

Woot! Break out the sunscreen!
It is terrible, and sooo frustrating...and also sad. I also think that Trudeau really over promised and the messaging was confusing all along. If they had just said it like they really expected...maybe everyone wouldn't be so mad about it? Who knows.
I don't blame him completely. Didn't both Pfizer and Moderna have shortages, worldwide? At least one did.
Still... we'll see how the rest of the rollout goes.
Crossing fingers!! I just heard that the J&J vaccine was approved in Canada so that's a plus..
OH!! I just woke up a little bit ago and hadn't heard that. GOOD!!
but I don't have much confidence that it won't take another several months for the government to figure out how to get it here, and then how to distribute it considering the way they have bungled everything so far...but you never know!!
Yeah... I'm not booking any US trips any time soon.
Yeah re: hotel quarantines...there were horror stories of people wanting to do the right thing, but waiting hours on hold because at first you could ONLY book the hotel quarantine by phone and not online...ugh. I "think" at least now a few of the hotels are available to book online, so that's something. Hopefully in another two months that rule will either be gone, or at least the hotels and the govt. will have sorted out the details a bit more so it won't be so painful, who knows.
ohhhhh
Arches looks really amazing. It's still a good 3 hour drive (each way) out of my way,
So... for a Canadian... right next door.
What?? Weird....not like UT is a swear word in any way I don't think??? (not sure if it will blank it out again...but...very weird...
So... I asked in the support boards and got this answer from a Mod: "It's an abbreviation for a popular ticket-seller that apparently can no longer be linked or mentioned -- for several months now."

But now as a result you can use UT and it won't blank out. Go me!

Actually... we're 6 degrees warmer than you are right now! :laughing:

Woot! Break out the sunscreen!

Ha!! Next week we're supposed to get above freezing...time to get our shorts on!

So... for a Canadian... right next door.

Yup!! Pretty much lol and I'm willing to do it in summer, I'm sure the drive will be quite scenic too!

So... I asked in the support boards and got this answer from a Mod: "It's an abbreviation for a popular ticket-seller that apparently can no longer be linked or mentioned -- for several months now."

But now as a result you can use UT and it won't blank out. Go me!

Way to go!! Got something changed!! Go you!! Now get on our govt about speeding up those vaccines, m'kay?? :))

I can totally understand all of your back and forth on your plans for your son's graduation. I hope you can get it sorted out!

Hi DisPeeps!

I might be imagining things but I thought I had been on here with a life update a few days ago...and there were even some comments...and now it's gone? Did I imagine all that???

Not that there is much news anyway but...weird.

It's April and still feels like groundhog day. We are in lockdown yet again with a stay at home order and very little open except for curbside pickup. I think it's the right move, but comes too late to be of much effect. If we were vaccinating as fast as the US over here...maybe it would help but...sadly...we are not.

That said...I am still planning to go to UT for my son's graduation. I am kind of conflicted about it, but I will be as careful as possible and hey...maybe I can even get a vaccine while I'm there!! I also hope to spend a couple of days in Moab seeing Arches National Park. Hopefully if I go at the crack of dawn I can see the most famous arches without too many crowds ...here's hoping!!

I can't remember what else I may have discussed in my imaginary update...but there you go!! My hope of getting any more use out of my AP before August 3 is dwindling...

You are not imagining it - your update and some replies have disappeared. But I'm glad you have decided to go, I think it will be a great support for C and a wonderful way to acknowledge his hard work and determination. Happy arranging of the travel plans, it will be great for you to have something to look forward to!

Thanks Donna!! At least I'm not completely losing my mind lol...though it wouldn't surprise me the way this year has gone!!

Thinking about travel is both fun and stressful at the same time!! I'm enjoying looking at hotels and such...but then also have to try to figure out how to get a covid test and get back within the 72 hour window is giving me a bit of a headache!! But yes, very much looking forward to seeing my son graduate and hanging out with him for a few days and then bringing him home!

I might be imagining things but I thought I had been on here with a life update a few days ago...and there were even some comments...and now it's gone? Did I imagine all that???
The DIS was hacked... believe it was Sunday evening. Someone got access to a password and deleted all posts except for one demanding $1,500 in crypto. Shortly after that, the site was shut down for "Emergency maintenance" and restored to an earlier data save. I think about 24 hours (ish) of posts went poof.
It's April and still feels like groundhog day. We are in lockdown yet again with a stay at home order
Been watching that. Yikes.

I'm pretty sure mine was one of the replies that got lost. I def remember reading your last update and had answered.

Canada is still doing dismally terrible on the vaccine distribution front...BUT with the US doing theirs at a much more acceptable pace...I'm trying to hold on to a sliver of hope that I might be able to use my AP once more before it expires on August 3

I really hope so too!!

Nope, you did not imagine that!!

Thinking about travel is both fun and stressful at the same time!! I'm enjoying looking at hotels and such...but then also have to try to figure out how to get a covid test and get back within the 72 hour window is giving me a bit of a headache!! But yes, very much looking forward to seeing my son graduate and hanging out with him for a few days and then bringing him home!
Just go and enjoy. :) I know there are logistics to work out but that will all fall into place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter