Mini TR for another Boston Road Trip - updated Nov 22

The DIS was hacked... believe it was Sunday evening.

At least I'm not losing my mind...well...because of that anyway!!!

I'm pretty sure mine was one of the replies that got lost. I def remember reading your last update and had answered.

Phew. Well thanks for coming by anyway!! I can't even remember what I babbled on about lol.

Just go and enjoy. :) I know there are logistics to work out but that will all fall into place.

So far that is the plan...if they let me out of the country!! I found out about some new covid testing available at the Buffalo airport and I'm relieved because that will (slightly) simplify the trip home at least!!

@KathyM2 - did you see that AZ vaccine is now open for ages 40 and up in ON? Hopefully they will make the same decision in AB tomorrow - although perhaps you don't meet the age cutoff yet you young thing :)

Oh yes indeed I did see that and we are all going nuts over it right now trying to figure out where and how to book appointments!! How sweet of you to think that I might be too young lol...I only juuuuust miss the cutoff for the mass vaccination sites already lol

How are you doing? Are you giving vaccines where you work? While that would be stressful..I imagine it would also be kinda fun because everyone would be happy and relieved to see you!!

Oh yes indeed I did see that and we are all going nuts over it right now trying to figure out where and how to book appointments!! How sweet of you to think that I might be too young lol...I only juuuuust miss the cutoff for the mass vaccination sites already lol

How are you doing? Are you giving vaccines where you work? While that would be stressful..I imagine it would also be kinda fun because everyone would be happy and relieved to see you!!

Last edited:
I'm so pleased that you can start vaccine hunting with the rest of us! I am giving the vaccine - *when I have any* - we are calling it "Moderna Hell" because our weekly allotment amount has changed each time, and has been delivered randomly 3 times over the past 5 weeks, so we have been out of stock more than we have been in stock. It is definitely not going smoothly, but at least it is going somewhat. And yes, this was the happiest we have seen people about getting a needle, and now they are already stressed about when they can get the second dose, and we can't even hint to them, as we have no control over the ordering or the delivery.

What a F&^%'in mess!!!! But at least you get to help spread joy and relief to people as you give them their jab!!

Helloooo DisPeeps.....

How is everyone faring these days??? From what I see on social media...it seems that in some parts life is semi-normal and people are going about their business...in other parts...they are outdoor dining and not much else...and some of us...like up here in these parts...are still under stay at home orders...sigh...I'm actually really glad no one told us in March 2020 how long this would drag on because...I'm not sure many of us would have been able to cope with that news up front!!

Things in Ontario are pretty dismal right now with daily cases between 3K and 4K per day and overflowing ICU's in hospitals. Our vaccine rollout is a disaster both in terms of volumes of vaccines coming into the country and in terms of distribution. That said, it's FINALLY starting to pick up with more groups being eligible, but accessing vaccines is super confusing. Ugh.

ANYWAY...I have scored my first dose of vaccine so am very excited about that. Because of this luck...I'm still contemplating travelling to UT for my son's graduation. While I'm still very nervous about this since I've barely left my house for over a year, the fact that I've got one dose in helps a bit. I would still have to be extremely careful of course, but at least I "maybe" won't die if I get covid. I have to say, if my son was a) older and b) more mature, I would be having a serious chat with him about my not attending his grad and him making his way home on his own...BUT with him being a) 18 and b) very immature....I am going to make the decision by myself...and most likely risk my life to go because the thought of him a) being one of the only kids without a family member present and b) having to make his way home from the US to Canada with many many hoops to jump through and 2 years worth of dorm room belongings...is unfathomable...so...mama bear that I am...I am still leaning towards going....

IF that happens...I will share once I'm home and safely self isolating in my house for 2 weeks post trip!

However....even IF that manages to happen and we all survive...my chances of getting any more use out of that AP that expires on August 3 are pretty much nil now...sigh. I had really hoped to see a post covid WDW sometime soon...but I don't think that is to be...The only travel I may get to do this summer is a trip to Boston to take my son to college there!! So that's exciting...but I just hope that I can drive across the border with him by then!! Cross that bridge later I guess!!

Other than that...sad news that they are closing all brick and mortar Disney stores in Canada :(. I didn't actually visit them all that often preferring to get my WDW merch when in the parks...but it's still very sad. I did enjoy talking to the CM's in the stores because most of them are such huge fans of the parks.

Hope everyone is hanging in there and still hoping for a one day DisMeet lol

I'm actually really glad no one told us in March 2020 how long this would drag on because...I'm not sure many of us would have been able to cope with that news up front!!
Not a "quickly rip the bandaid off" situation. Or rip the mask off, for that matter.
Things in Ontario are pretty dismal right now with daily cases between 3K and 4K per day
I keep hearing about it. Yikes. :scared:
ANYWAY...I have scored my first dose of vaccine so am very excited about that. Because of this luck...I'm still contemplating travelling to UT for my son's graduation.
Hope that works out! Go you!
However....even IF that manages to happen and we all survive...my chances of getting any more use out of that AP that expires on August 3 are pretty much nil now...sigh.
Yeah... sorry about that.
Other than that...sad news that they are closing all brick and mortar Disney stores in Canada :(.
Oh. I hadn't heard that.
Not overly surprised... but sad to hear it.

Even with the circumstances being what they are, I think you'll look back and be SO glad you made the choice to go to your son's graduation. I'm sure they'll be taking precautions to keep all in attendance safe, too, so hopefully that provides some comfort.

So sad about both your Disney stores closing and the expiring AP. I totally agree with you--if any of us had known back in March 2020 what lie ahead or how long this would go on, I'm not sure we would have been able to deal!!

Hoping the trip works out smoothly and you and your son return safe and healthy!

Oh. I hadn't heard that.
Not overly surprised... but sad to hear it.

Yeah, kinda sad but not that surprising. I think if they made all the merch available to ship to Canada online...then it's not such a bad thing...but...that doesn't always work out so well for us here in the great white North!

Even with the circumstances being what they are, I think you'll look back and be SO glad you made the choice to go to your son's graduation. I'm sure they'll be taking precautions to keep all in attendance safe, too, so hopefully that provides some comfort.

Yes I'm hoping this is true! The school itself is still masking and being very careful even though all the staff, teachers and many of the students have been vaccinated. Also the school is in a very small town. I think once I make it there, it's pretty safe. It's more the plane rides and airports that are a little scary...especially since there are no longer any direct flights anywhere so...layovers etc. I have gotten some high quality masks and plan to double mask the entire time...layover in Atlanta though...I hope there is a way to get some fresh air between flights...we shall see...

How is everyone faring these days???

Not too bad!!

.I'm actually really glad no one told us in March 2020 how long this would drag on because...I'm not sure many of us would have been able to cope with that news up front!!

And yet think a very many are not coping very well even having NOT heard how long it would be. The mental/psych status of a HUGE number, at least here, is skyrocketing and our mental health professionals cannot keep up.

IF that happens...I will share once I'm home and safely self isolating in my house for 2 weeks post trip!

Looking forward to it!

Hi DisPeeps!!

Exciting news!! I actually went on a trip!! Sadly not to Disney but better than nothing!! I went to...drum roll please....Arkansas!! and Utah!!! I will try to put this in some organized sense....but it's been a while since I've done a TR....

Tuesday May 4 - I flew from Toronto to Little Rock, AR!! (after taking required pre-travel covid test 48 hours prior at a cost of $150!!). Of course, these days there are no direct flights pretty much anywhere, so I went through Atlanta. Wow. That is one big A^&& airport. And also. The US clearly things we are much more over this pandemic than up here in the great white North. I was too freaked out to eat anything on the plane and remove my mask, so by the time I got to my layover in Atlanta I was parched and hungry. I found some pretzel bites and a drink and tried to find a spacious corner of the airport to wolf down my snack while removing my mask for as little time as possible. It was kind of surreal. Soon after, I was boarding flight 2 to Little Rock. In case you are wondering why I was going to Little Rock...I happen to have a friend there who knew a pharmacist and we got to talking about how easy it would be for me to get my dose 2 of vaccine in the US....so we hatched this plan where I would go there and get my second shot and hang out in a relatively low population density, low covid cases spot with my friend, and wait for my immunity to build up before travelling on to UT for my son's graduation. Also I was desperate to travel...anywhere. So. There you have it. Within a couple of hours of arriving in LR, AR, this happened:

It may seem kinda crazy (to Americans) that I would do this...but...up here in Canada, I had to jump through some major hoops to get dose 1 in April...and was not scheduled for dose 2 until August! But I was very freaked out about going to UT and being around people and even travelling home with my son, without being fully vaccinated.

After that, I had an outdoor, socially distanced dinner with my friend who lives in LR, and then went to my hotel to wait and see if any side effects would set in. I had some chills and a bit of acheyness for about a day or so? But nothing major and well worth it!!

Spent the next couple of days doing outdoors stuff in Little Rock. Though it really felt like an alternate universe after being in near total lockdown in Toronto for the better part of a year. Really strange. I saw the state capital, hiked up Pinnacle Mountain, saw the governors mansion where the Clintons once lived (and also saw where Clinton had at least one of his trysts...), Central High School which is very famous, Overall Little Rock was really pretty and a lot more green than I pictured AR to be!!!

I interrupt this so exciting non-Disney TR with some Disney news!! Not sure if you recall, but when Covid hit, I was at Disney, using the first few days of my newly activated AP. I got to use five park days before the shutdown. During the closure, I did get my AP extended by the length of the closure...but that still took me only until August 3, 2021....

Fast forward to now...and well as you know...it's still pretty difficult to travel if you are Canadian (even though I just did it...I will share how many hoops I had to jump through to do it....) so a WDW just wasn't in the cards before August 3 and I was beginning to get really bitter about that. So I thought...what's the harm in a call to Disney to see if they would do anything for us poor Cannucks? Couldn't hurt right? (other than the hold time....)

So this morning I set myself up with my coffee and phone on speaker and gave it a shot. It took several CM's transferring me around to different people and some discussion...but eventually...they gave me a credit of $713!! They said I could either just take the money and run, OR I could use it towards the purchase of a new AP at today's prices, that would only be activated when I'm actually able to return to WDW - even if that is 2022 or 2023 or even beyond. Which hopefully it won't be, but good to have options!

Super thrilled about this because now I can dream about future trips knowing I have the pass for future!!! Hoping there will be many DisMeets in it!!!

That is all...now back to my TR...

I flew from Toronto to Little Rock, AR!!
You did! Wow! Not just out of Province, but out of Country!
(after taking required pre-travel covid test 48 hours prior at a cost of $150!!).
I have no idea where I could get that done, here!
I found some pretzel bites and a drink and tried to find a spacious corner of the airport to wolf down my snack while removing my mask for as little time as possible. It was kind of surreal.
Surreal. Yep. Nothing more surreal than pretzel bites. I mean, who doesn't want a whole pretzel?

:rolleyes:
I happen to have a friend there who knew a pharmacist and we got to talking about how easy it would be for me to get my dose 2 of vaccine in the US....
OH!!!!
Good for you!!!
Within a couple of hours of arriving in LR, AR, this happened:
Niiiiice. :thumbsup2
Which did you get?
It may seem kinda crazy (to Americans) that I would do this...but...up here in Canada, I had to jump through some major hoops to get dose 1 in April...and was not scheduled for dose 2 until August!
Yeah... I have my 1st, but... not even scheduled for my 2nd, yet. Not eligible and not showing any signs that will change any time soon.
wait and see if any side effects would set in. I had some chills and a bit of acheyness for about a day or so? But nothing major and well worth it!!
Not bad. :)
Spent the next couple of days doing outdoors stuff in Little Rock. Though it really felt like an alternate universe after being in near total lockdown in Toronto for the better part of a year
Must've been even more surreal than the pretzels.

;)
Overall Little Rock was really pretty and a lot more green than I pictured AR to be!!!
So... you're saying it's not all desert?

it's still pretty difficult to travel if you are Canadian (even though I just did it...I will share how many hoops I had to jump through to do it....)
Very much curious to read about that.
they gave me a credit of $713!!
No way! That's terrific!
They said I could either just take the money and run, OR I could use it towards the purchase of a new AP at today's prices, that would only be activated when I'm actually able to return to WDW - even if that is 2022 or 2023 or even beyond. Which hopefully it won't be, but good to have options!
Wow! That's... very impressive!! And what great news!!

In case you are wondering why I was going to Little Rock...I happen to have a friend there who knew a pharmacist and we got to talking about how easy it would be for me to get my dose 2 of vaccine in the US....so we hatched this plan where I would go there and get my second shot and hang out in a relatively low population density, low covid cases spot with my friend, and wait for my immunity to build up before travelling on to UT for my son's graduation. Also I was desperate to travel...anywhere. So. There you have it. Within a couple of hours of arriving in LR, AR, this happened:
That's amazing! Woohoo! What shot did you get? I had Astra Zeneca on Easter weekend and hopefully will get my second shot mid June. My boys got their first shots of Moderna today, Things are looking up!
Spent the next couple of days doing outdoors stuff in Little Rock. Though it really felt like an alternate universe after being in near total lockdown in Toronto for the better part of a year. Really strange. I saw the state capital, hiked up Pinnacle Mountain, saw the governors mansion where the Clintons once lived (and also saw where Clinton had at least one of his trysts...), Central High School which is very famous, Overall Little Rock was really pretty and a lot more green than I pictured AR to be!!!
Nice to have a little break. :)
So this morning I set myself up with my coffee and phone on speaker and gave it a shot. It took several CM's transferring me around to different people and some discussion...but eventually...they gave me a credit of $713!! They said I could either just take the money and run, OR I could use it towards the purchase of a new AP at today's prices, that would only be activated when I'm actually able to return to WDW - even if that is 2022 or 2023 or even beyond. Which hopefully it won't be, but good to have options!
Amazing!!!!!!! That is great news. Jack and I are booked for August 7-15 and if we both have our second shot by then, we are going.

I have no idea where I could get that done, here!

Yeah it took a bit of research but a few private testing centers have popped up for the purposes of travel or private businesses wanting to test their employees etc.

Niiiiice. :thumbsup2
Which did you get?

I purposely jumped through hoops here in Toronto to get my dose 1 of Pfizer here in Toronto in April because this plan had already started to form in my mind and I knew that Pfizer was most common in AR so I really wanted that one so I could get dose 2 there. Luckily it worked out.

Yeah... I have my 1st, but... not even scheduled for my 2nd, yet. Not eligible and not showing any signs that will change any time soon.

Yup, it's crazy out there. though hopefully with vaccines finally starting to roll into Canada a little faster...it will speed up I hope!

So... you're saying it's not all desert?

Funny thing...no..it's very green..for some reason I just pictured it being more...brown?

Wow! That's... very impressive!! And what great news!!

Yes!! I was thrilled. I did shell out an additional approx $480 so added to the credit got the AP...now I'm so excited to start planning lol

That's amazing! Woohoo! What shot did you get? I had Astra Zeneca on Easter weekend and hopefully will get my second shot mid June. My boys got their first shots of Moderna today, Things are looking up!

I got the Pfizer. My son got Moderna. My daughter also got her first Pfizer dose a couple of days ago. So yes...things are looking up! Let's just hope the rest of the world catches up!

Amazing!!!!!!! That is great news. Jack and I are booked for August 7-15 and if we both have our second shot by then, we are going.

Awesome!! I really hope you can go and that the quarantines will be no longer...at least for vaccinated people!

Yeah it took a bit of research but a few private testing centers have popped up for the purposes of travel or private businesses wanting to test their employees etc.
Huh. I'm sure they're around here too then.
Not that it matters as I can't take the extra 2 weeks off when I get back from having taken time off.
I purposely jumped through hoops here in Toronto to get my dose 1 of Pfizer here in Toronto in April because this plan had already started to form in my mind and I knew that Pfizer was most common in AR so I really wanted that one so I could get dose 2 there. Luckily it worked out.
Preplanning for the win! :)
Yup, it's crazy out there. though hopefully with vaccines finally starting to roll into Canada a little faster...it will speed up I hope!
It sure seems to have speeded up lately. Hoping that trend continues.
Funny thing...no..it's very green..for some reason I just pictured it being more...brown?
That's what I thought!
Yes!! I was thrilled. I did shell out an additional approx $480 so added to the credit got the AP...now I'm so excited to start planning lol
Woot!

Sunday May 9 - I flew from Little Rock, AR to Salt Lake City...once again via Atlanta which was kind of backwards. To make things more interesting, my first flight from Little Rock to Atlanta was much delayed. I was supposed to have 2 hours to connect in Atlanta and get in the second flight to Salt Lake..but..with the delay...they were already boarding the flight when we landed in Atlanta!! Delta is great in that, if you miss your connection they will get you on another flight...but being late and possibly losing my luggage was something I really hoped to not have to contend with on this trip. For one, I hate driving in the dark in a city I don't know well, and was not looking forward to having to do that if I ended up on a later flight...

So as luck would have it...I had one of those total movie moments...I literally sprinted off the plane and ran to the terminal shuttle in ATL, then caught my breath on the shuttle to a different terminal...then sprinted all the way to the gate where I run up and the gate agent was about to close the door. I said "can I still get on?" and she said "are you on this flight?" I showed her my boarding pass and yes...yes I was. So she let me in literally as they were closing the doors. Phew. Unfortunately...they had given away my business class seat because I had booked because, um, covid...so now I was in the window seat in coach next to strangers. Ugh. Delta gave me a credit for the cost difference but I was not happy. But at that point there was nothing I could do about it. People are still wearing masks on planes...except when eating or drinking. So of course what did the couple beside me do? Eat and drink for the entire flight. Ugh. At that point I was 5 days post second vaccine dose, but it still made me quite uncomfortable and despite the fact that I was hungry and dehydrated, I did not take off my mask for the entire flight.

Finally arrived in Salt Lake City and proceeded to Enterprise where I had a mid size SUV waiting. While I usually rent the smallest and cheapest car...my son warned me not to do that this time because he had a lot of stuff to bring home, so that is why I went for the SUV and ended up with a KIA which is what I have at home, so I know where all the controls are at least! Got in the car and luckily there was still a bit of daylight left so I proceeded to the Little American Hotel. This is my fave hotel in Salt Lake and I especially liked it in these strange covid times because they have both a tower and a garden courtyard area with motel type rooms where I could get a ground floor room and avoid strangers in elevators or having to go through the lobby to get to my car. Quickly settled in to my room and ordered the champion of room service meals - the club sandwich and fries, and it hit the spot.

The next day, I lounged around and was very lazy in the hotel, and then did a order online and pick up order from Target!! Since I had been deprived of any US shopping for so long...I had a list of my fave mostly junk food items and beverages on my list. I also picked up a new suitcase since the wheels on mine had broken in transit. In the evening I went to visit a friend who lives in a suburb of SLC. I insisted that we eat dinner distanced and outside on her back patio. She thinks I'm insane. Her whole family has been vaccinated as have I now...but I still am not quite ready for indoor dining!!

After a nice dinner and visit with Cheryl (who during covid started a bagel business Cheryl's Bagels in case anyone is in the area) she loaded me up with bagels for my travels and I was on my way back to the hotel.

I flew from Little Rock, AR to Salt Lake City...once again via Atlanta which was kind of backwards
Hate that. Feels like I'm losing time, or something.
they were already boarding the flight when we landed in Atlanta!!
Whoa! RUN!!!!!
So as luck would have it...I had one of those total movie moments...I literally sprinted off the plane and ran to the terminal shuttle in ATL, then caught my breath on the shuttle to a different terminal...then sprinted all the way to the gate where I run up and the gate agent was about to close the door. I said "can I still get on?" and she said "are you on this flight?" I showed her my boarding pass and yes...yes I was. So she let me in literally as they were closing the doors.
I've had that happen on a few too many occasions. Always.... interesting.
Unfortunately...they had given away my business class seat because I had booked because, um, covid...so now I was in the window seat in coach next to strangers. Ugh. Delta gave me a credit for the cost difference but I was not happy.
:sad2:
I dunno... "Excuse me sir, but we're going to have to move you back into economy. This seat has been paid for already and the guest has just arrived."

No?
People are still wearing masks on planes...except when eating or drinking. So of course what did the couple beside me do? Eat and drink for the entire flight.
Of course. And of course they were sitting right beside you.
While I usually rent the smallest and cheapest car...my son warned me not to do that this time because he had a lot of stuff to bring home,
Makes sense.
Quickly settled in to my room and ordered the champion of room service meals - the club sandwich and fries, and it hit the spot.
I'll have to remember that. :)
I had a list of my fave mostly junk food items and beverages on my list.
So.... what's your list?!?!?!?
I insisted that we eat dinner distanced and outside on her back patio. She thinks I'm insane. Her whole family has been vaccinated as have I now...but I still am not quite ready for indoor dining!!
:laughing:
Well, you still had a couple weeks until you were fully done being protected.
After a nice dinner and visit with Cheryl (who during covid started a bagel business Cheryl's Bagels in case anyone is in the area) she loaded me up with bagels for my travels and I was on my way back to the hotel.
mmmmm... love a good, fresh bagel. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter