• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Minimum Direct Points Needed

Flamethrower down, my friend. :) I'm not a "resale advocate" but I am an advocate for people to make informed decisions and to look at all the angles. I purchased resale because it was a match for my needs, but I am also kicking myself for not buying a 25 point direct contract before they raised prices and the threshold to 75 points. So I'm not totally against the idea. I am happy for you that you have so much confidence in the persistence of the annual pass discount, and as an owner I also hope it continues. But I don't know if everyone shares your confidence and I think it might be wise if we are advising others (especially new DISboards members) we should point out that things are subject to change regardless of our hopes or intuition.

I appreciate the correction on my price misstatement earlier and I feel like I should return the favor. The Premium Annual Pass had no blockout dates AND included admission to the water parks was $399. The Gold Pass has blockout dates and does not include water park admission and is $609. That's a difference of $210, not "a little over $100 more".
I wasn't really talking about you when I said resale advocate. But anyways, that $399 price again was a 90 day promotion and it was almost a decade ago. You can't compare prices in 2012 to 2019. Bottom line is, again, there is no evidence to suggest a substantial AP discount for direct buyers is going away other than "it could." We are what...50% through the life of the first DVC contract..and yet there has always been a discount. In fact, there has never been DVC...26 years of DVC...without ticket discounts. That's where my confidence really comes from.

The premium annual pass benefit didn't go away, it was simply replaced with the Gold AP. The Gold AP is a little over $100 more than the premium annual pass was...which is in line with other normal ticket price increases. The same benefit is still here strong as ever with simply a different name. If the premium annual pass were still a thing in 2019, it would not be $399. It would be likely the same price as the gold AP.

Also, technically, the first set of APs we bought with our DVC membership was during the promotion they were just running in 2017 - we paid Gold pass pricing for Platinum Plus pass. I didn't factor it into my "savings" calculation though. I just calculated it as buying a gold -vs Platinum since it's not a current offer. And I think they ran a 13 month offer before that and there was a 7 day ticket offer, too.....

I'm not betting on things staying the same, but I'm betting on there being something for quite awhile.

We're hoping to plan a no AP or regular park tickets and try to hit all the DAH events instead (when our APs expire and before we activate the next ones). We are the flexible type, I guess and we found DVC at a time when we were looking to "spice up" our trips a bit anyway. I think it's fun to try special events (just did MVMCP last trip for the 1st time) and I'm more willing to try these things when there is a discount on the table! Starting to look into tours and such, too... I admit, we looooove dessert parties and pay for them without a discount. So, it's not like we are just "spending more to save a few bucks". We want to do all this stuff.

Small additional point: the gold AP does (for now anyway) include photopass.
On my last trip one of the members of my party had the AP with photopass, this was a HUGE benefit, because it allowed him to access all our photos. It made me want photopass every year! I haven't done the math yet on how much photopass costs, but it means it is likely I will want someone in my party will want to get an AP every year just for that. Mind you I do not currently have direct points I can't get the AP discount. I plan to do the add on 75 points in 2020 assuming I get a reasonable bonus and they haven't raised the minimum number needed. I already have a larger resale contract. I've not done the math to see if I am going to be wasting money, I don't really look at DVC as money saving, I do it all for emotional reasons :)

On my last trip one of the members of my party had the AP with photopass, this was a HUGE benefit, because it allowed him to access all our photos. It made me want photopass every year! I haven't done the math yet on how much photopass costs, but it means it is likely I will want someone in my party will want to get an AP every year just for that. Mind you I do not currently have direct points I can't get the AP discount. I plan to do the add on 75 points in 2020 assuming I get a reasonable bonus and they haven't raised the minimum number needed. I already have a larger resale contract. I've not done the math to see if I am going to be wasting money, I don't really look at DVC as money saving, I do it all for emotional reasons :)

I think that's really important to consider. For me, I think a small financial savings would quickly be forgotten and I'd be left for all the years of my ownership upset when I couldn't attend an event or get a discount or whatever.

Reality is, even at direct prices, DVC can still be a decent financial deal -vs- cash prices. It's just a much better deal if paying resale prices! I think part resale / part direct is the way to go.

With the new restrictions on trading into the new resorts, we will probably buy a little more direct than we initially planned. We are already possibly interested in Reflections. I know we can rent our points out and stay cash or rent or look for a transfer - but that's a hassle (IMO). So, we will either buy an L14 resort direct or consider Reflections (if I can wait that long) to use for sleeping around. Our current BWV contract - we will add onto by resale and likely only use for BWV anyway.

It's kind of like this..... my $17K pre-driven but certified SUV can get me to work the same as my neighbors new Mercedes and I don't (personally) feel dissatisfied with my car. So, if I spend the money I didn't spend on a fancy car for direct points that make me happy, why would anyone care? Of course, my neighbors Mercedes will get more attention, but actually - that's something I'm happy to live without, too! Maybe that neighbor thinks DVC is stupid and would never waste their money on it, but their car makes them fabulously happy...

Different strokes for different folks. It's important to "know yourself" in making these decisions.

Dang I was not expecting this much activity from my simple question. Really appreciate each and every response here, you are all appreciated!

So I am starting to narrow down my game plan before hunting for points. I do want to purchase 75 direct and I did find more things that intrigue me about it. Maybe I can get some insight into these?

1. Top perk is obviously the AP. I’ll be buying 5 the first year and 4 after that. It saves roughly $300x4 or $1200 a year.
-we want to take two trips a year, week long. Don’t really care about water parks honestly if we are swimming we would just use the resort.
-The other reason is I suffer from bad anxiety, I don’t want to be thinking about maximizing my ticket days and going commando at the parks all the time like our last trip. This allows me to relax and just go with the flow a little more which is very valuable to me. (One of the main reasons I love Disney they cater to my daughter and I which is rare most placed just laugh this off).
2. The special events and places like top of the world etc. I just want to feel like a real member, this again could just be my irrational side, but again I’m going here to relax this isn’t an investment. For two dang weeks a year I want it my way haha.
3. It would be nice to at least try the new resorts as they open, if even for a night or two. Having direct points is the only way now.

That said I’m also very financially conservative so my thought is try to buy something like 75 ssr points which I could recoup in annual pass savings in 5 years, after that it’s savings. Not ideal but at least it’s there. I would be hoping to use these for BWV during off peak times. The 78 point room, is this ever possible for a week? Or maybe even the cheap akv room?The only time we don’t want to go is summer to hot. Zero interest in wine or racing at least at this time. As long as I can grab a beer I’m good to go. Resort hopping during the week would also be ok, as long as Disney keeps the bag/food moving policy

First I am going to try to get a resale at the BLT (enough for one week with a little to spare) I think because of the maintenance fees and I about passed out trying to grab a boat ride when magic kingdom closed. It felt like war of the worlds trying to get in a boat I don’t want to do that ever again.

Also if we ever want to do Christmas/4th I want that view. Again it’s peace of mind with resale points I want to ensure my home is a place I’ll be happy with.

So that’s the plan as of right now. Get the resale done then try to match the direct with it. Sorry for the long ramble.

Dang I was not expecting this much activity from my simple question. Really appreciate each and every response here, you are all appreciated!

So I am starting to narrow down my game plan before hunting for points. I do want to purchase 75 direct and I did find more things that intrigue me about it. Maybe I can get some insight into these?

1. Top perk is obviously the AP. I’ll be buying 5 the first year and 4 after that. It saves roughly $300x4 or $1200 a year.
-we want to take two trips a year, week long. Don’t really care about water parks honestly if we are swimming we would just use the resort.
-The other reason is I suffer from bad anxiety, I don’t want to be thinking about maximizing my ticket days and going commando at the parks all the time like our last trip. This allows me to relax and just go with the flow a little more which is very valuable to me. (One of the main reasons I love Disney they cater to my daughter and I which is rare most placed just laugh this off).
2. The special events and places like top of the world etc. I just want to feel like a real member, this again could just be my irrational side, but again I’m going here to relax this isn’t an investment. For two dang weeks a year I want it my way haha.
3. It would be nice to at least try the new resorts as they open, if even for a night or two. Having direct points is the only way now.

That said I’m also very financially conservative so my thought is try to buy something like 75 ssr points which I could recoup in annual pass savings in 5 years, after that it’s savings. Not ideal but at least it’s there. I would be hoping to use these for BWV during off peak times. The 78 point room, is this ever possible for a week? Or maybe even the cheap akv room?The only time we don’t want to go is summer to hot. Zero interest in wine or racing at least at this time. As long as I can grab a beer I’m good to go. Resort hopping during the week would also be ok, as long as Disney keeps the bag/food moving policy

First I am going to try to get a resale at the BLT (enough for one week with a little to spare) I think because of the maintenance fees and I about passed out trying to grab a boat ride when magic kingdom closed. It felt like war of the worlds trying to get in a boat I don’t want to do that ever again.

Also if we ever want to do Christmas/4th I want that view. Again it’s peace of mind with resale points I want to ensure my home is a place I’ll be happy with.

So that’s the plan as of right now. Get the resale done then try to match the direct with it. Sorry for the long ramble.
1st. Sounds like a great plan to me.

2nd. You don’t have to justify your decisions to anyone here. Just you and your spouse (assuming you have one), that’s it. If it works for your family that’s all that matters.

I wish you luck going forward. That ROFR process is maddening!

Yeah the ROFR seems like an evil process. I can’t make heads or tails of it. I just checked the thread and it looks like $135 BLT contracts are all getting taken. It really seems like luck of the draw and timing. It’s completely unfair. But such is life.

Yeah the ROFR seems like an evil process. I can’t make heads or tails of it. I just checked the thread and it looks like $135 BLT contracts are all getting taken. It really seems like luck of the draw and timing. It’s completely unfair. But such is life.
It is very much luck of the draw. If you don't have deadlines on when you need your points I'd suggest ignoring the price things go through ROFR and bit low, if your contract is taken you just go back and try again. The idea being they can't by them all back and you might get lucky. That said if you need points by a certain date this likely won't work because having a contract taken means you have to start over... In this case you have to try and guess what the price is that Disney will take the contact and bid above that.... I'm sure they have method but they obfuscate it from us so we can't game the system :)

You haven't been here that long but you will quickly learn that even the simplest question on here creates quite the conversation. :)

It looks like your plan is well thought out. To answer your question about the SSR, I like the strategy for a less expensive entry point but you need to be very conservative in your estimates in what you might be able to book outside of SSR. Boardwalk studios are difficult at any time of year at the 7 month mark, and Standard View studios at BWV are typically booked at all times of year around the 10 month mark. And while there are no true certainties, I feel safe saying that I will eat my hat if you are ever able to get a AK Value room at the 7 month mark. So you need to be careful, if you really want to stay at these other resorts you may be forced to spend more points to get a 1BR, which may defeat the purpose of what you are trying to do. Good luck!

You haven't been here that long but you will quickly learn that even the simplest question on here creates quite the conversation. :)

It looks like your plan is well thought out. To answer your question about the SSR, I like the strategy for a less expensive entry point but you need to be very conservative in your estimates in what you might be able to book outside of SSR. Boardwalk studios are difficult at any time of year at the 7 month mark, and Standard View studios at BWV are typically booked at all times of year around the 10 month mark. And while there are no true certainties, I feel safe saying that I will eat my hat if you are ever able to get a AK Value room at the 7 month mark. So you need to be careful, if you really want to stay at these other resorts you may be forced to spend more points to get a 1BR, which may defeat the purpose of what you are trying to do. Good luck!

Hmm that does put a wrench in my plans now I don’t know what to do again! A part of me is wondering if I’m a day late and a dollar short cause it’s becoming hard to see how I can win with this thing. Disney charges ridiculous amounts for direct points compared to just two years ago, if you buy resale you’re stripped of perks.

The logical brain says well buy ssr and then book at 7 months but even that is starting to look like a near impossibility unless I want premium rooms that would cost more than renting standard rooms.

Maybe renting is just the way to go then I can stay wherever I want.

Hmm that does put a wrench in my plans now I don’t know what to do again! A part of me is wondering if I’m a day late and a dollar short cause it’s becoming hard to see how I can win with this thing. Disney charges ridiculous amounts for direct points compared to just two years ago, if you buy resale you’re stripped of perks.

The logical brain says well buy ssr and then book at 7 months but even that is starting to look like a near impossibility unless I want premium rooms that would cost more than renting standard rooms.

Maybe renting is just the way to go then I can stay wherever I want.
It's a tough spot for sure. What I'd recommend, because you're not sure what you want, is to take a step back and think it over. Keep reading on here, keep asking questions. The answer will become clearer. With prices this high we are in a new paradigm, and we're all trying to figure it out. Many of us are secretly hoping for another recession so that maybe prices will drop down to 2012 levels. But now that I say that out loud it sounds kind of twisted. :)

It's a tough spot for sure. What I'd recommend, because you're not sure what you want, is to take a step back and think it over. Keep reading on here, keep asking questions. The answer will become clearer. With prices this high we are in a new paradigm, and we're all trying to figure it out. Many of us are secretly hoping for another recession so that maybe prices will drop down to 2012 levels. But now that I say that out loud it sounds kind of twisted. :)

Can't say I didn't have the same twisted thought! Sound advice though, I am all over the place. This is a tough purchase because everything I ever do is on a steal of a deal. Thats why I can afford DVC I guess. This one though seems like I am going to have to take a bath if I dive in. I think I need to read up on this new management, so far they seem to be pushing the limits on what makes DVC "not another timeshare". Dropping $30 grand or so plus annual fees and I can't even get a discounted ticket? Its messed up. They kill resale they kill dvc, will be setting up right next to the westgate guys in 10 years.

Can't say I didn't have the same twisted thought! Sound advice though, I am all over the place. This is a tough purchase because everything I ever do is on a steal of a deal. Thats why I can afford DVC I guess. This one though seems like I am going to have to take a bath if I dive in. I think I need to read up on this new management, so far they seem to be pushing the limits on what makes DVC "not another timeshare". Dropping $30 grand or so plus annual fees and I can't even get a discounted ticket? Its messed up. They kill resale they kill dvc, will be setting up right next to the westgate guys in 10 years.

I'm kinda like you.

The PROBLEM is. We like the "on the camp" experience so much more than the off-site experience. So THAT becomes "We are going to go and stay on site anyway. A 2 BR is cheaper (FAR CHEAPER) in resale than 2 moderate rooms plus a much better experience." And my kids are 2 and 4. We realized last year - when they were 1 and 3 that Disney is going to be yearly or more for at least 10 years. We put an offer in on SSR but I am quite sure it is going to get taken. Now I am trying to figure out if BLT would be a better choice for us - but we couldn't buy as many points (or we save up another 6 months or take a small loan... which means save up another 6 months, lol)

I'm kinda like you.

The PROBLEM is. We like the "on the camp" experience so much more than the off-site experience. So THAT becomes "We are going to go and stay on site anyway. A 2 BR is cheaper (FAR CHEAPER) in resale than 2 moderate rooms plus a much better experience." And my kids are 2 and 4. We realized last year - when they were 1 and 3 that Disney is going to be yearly or more for at least 10 years. We put an offer in on SSR but I am quite sure it is going to get taken. Now I am trying to figure out if BLT would be a better choice for us - but we couldn't buy as many points (or we save up another 6 months or take a small loan... which means save up another 6 months, lol)

My kids are a little older, 6 and 7, but it’s still a huge benefit staying onsite. You lose the illusion the second you leave the park, and go to a Marriott or whatever. Not to mention the ease of travel. Even the magical express is part of the experience, so I hear you.

We are in the same boat as you as far as the BLT vs SSR choice. I’ve gone back and forth but today I am kind of liking the idea of just getting the highest quantity I can and then just staying in larger rooms, realizing studio just isn’t going to happen at 7 months, might as well have enough points to do 1br+ At multiple vs smaller points and 1 location with a 11 month studio advantage. That said ask me this afternoon I’ll probably have a different thought lol.

We are in the same boat as you as far as the BLT vs SSR choice. I’ve gone back and forth but today I am kind of liking the idea of just getting the highest quantity I can and then just staying in larger rooms, realizing studio just isn’t going to happen at 7 months, might as well have enough points to do 1br+ At multiple vs smaller points and 1 location with a 11 month studio advantage. That said ask me this afternoon I’ll probably have a different thought lol.

Ditto!!!! Or just keep the money earning in stocks and pay cash. :P Lol. I don't like that idea from a 'i love disney' brain/heart.

Ditto!!!! Or just keep the money earning in stocks and pay cash. :P Lol. I don't like that idea from a 'i love disney' brain/heart.

Rent points don’t pay cash! It’s an option on the table for us as well. As long as roi stays up its pretty much a wash. But the psychological part of owning is a factor.

Rent points don’t pay cash! It’s an option on the table for us as well. As long as roi stays up its pretty much a wash. But the psychological part of owning is a factor.

Modifying is very valuable to me too. Last trip we rented and had to move the dates due to a hospital stay for Grandpa. We had an amazingly understanding private owner - so she worked with us - but she absolutely could have said 'sorry. no go.' and we lose that $4500.

Modifying is very valuable to me too. Last trip we rented and had to move the dates due to a hospital stay for Grandpa. We had an amazingly understanding private owner - so she worked with us - but she absolutely could have said 'sorry. no go.' and we lose that $4500.

This is why we never rented.

I also like to book a bit longer stay than we intend and drop off nights when flights come out and we get the best deal we can on airfare. This is still a little more difficult to do as a DVC owner as opposed to just booking Disney hotel rooms, but would really not be possible when renting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter