Minnesotans/Wisconsitnites etc...who have stayed at WL....

Minnesota!

Shoeless in Minnesota
DH and I are thinking about staying at WL in December 2003. Will it just seem like we have gone "up to the cabin"? Should we go somewhere else? I mean, I can get pine trees and nature like that here, but heard the Christmas decor was cool..

TIA!!

We lived in Eau Claire from 1994 to 1997, so I can add a semi-informed voice to the discussion.

I would answer your question by saying, "no, it won't be like your lake cabin." The lodge itself is quite impressive, a replica of lodges in Yellowstone and the like. Magnificent tall lobby, stone, huge timbers. The rooms also are nice and large. The amenities are what you'd expect at a WDW deluxe resort, yet the WL is quite a bit less expensive than Boardwalk or Yacht Club.

We stayed there when our DD was 10 years old. She really liked the lodge and room, plus the proximity to the MK was a plus given her age. You may want to inquire about the consistency and quality of the boat service from the lodge to the MK. According to the boards, it can be spotty. We also took in the Whoop-dee-doo revue for dinner, which was a lot of fun and it's close by.

Good luck

Minnesota! We stayed at WL villas December 2000 and thought this resort was gorgeous. The Christmas decorations are unbelievable. The resort does have a woodsy feel to it, but more in a national park sort of way. We had just been to Yellowstone in July 2000 and walking into the lobby made us feel like we were back in the mountains. The kids loved the pool and geysers, and we ate at Roaring Forks and Artist Point. I guess since we were there two weeks before Christmas, we wanted that kind of atmosphere - cozy, warm and smelling like pine, cider and crackling oak! Good luck with your decision!

We loved the WL. It was nothing like the cabins I have stayed in. The decor and atmosphere where great. We loved everything about the hotel, except the restaurants. The food was sub-par at best. You will love this resort though. It is close to MK and all the resources that it supplies. I would really suggest staying there.

Thanks for the info, all :) We have a cabin in Wisconsin, so I did not want to plunk down $$$ if it was going to be like going up there...for free, you know?

Minniesota - that is my user name on every other board I am on :)

Nothing like northern WI...no fish frys or taverns on every corner:rolleyes:

Hey, DisorBust,
Are you talking about Eagle River? I lived there from 1973 - 1978 and you described it very well! lol
Karla B.

Acutally, it sounds just like where my cabin is - Webster. Gotta love it though....3 bars for every person and a church to go to the next morning :)

I am from the midwest and I guess I want to feel like I am going somewhere tropical or at least warm when I go to Florida--can't say I was really taken with WL and maybe that's why. However, it is very beautiful and if I were to ever go back, December would be the time because maybe near the holidays you might want that 'lodge-like' atmostphere...

From MI here and have spent quite a bit of time in our beautiful U.P. I felt like the atmosphere felt "fake" after a couple of days, especially outside. it just didn't feel right. I also don't like the interior halls either though. Wasn't there for Christmas time though. Guess I like the more tropical feel too.

Originally posted by DisOrBust
Nothing like northern WI...no fish frys or taverns on every corner:rolleyes:

LOL! Too true! My parents have a cabin in northern WI, but I can still apprecieate WL for what it is.

man, I didn't realize there were so many of us out here!!!!

One of the gals I work with stayed there shortly after opening. They loved it and didn't feel like they were up at the cabin at all. (They spend a couple weeks each summer).

We love the atmosphere at WL, but the long halls kill us! Their Christmas Decorations are the best, and I love the big fireplace in the lobby. It is more of a Rocky Mountain feel than Northern lakes feel.

The WL is a beautiful resort, especially so at Christmas. However, it does remind me of parts of Northern Minnesota and Wisconsin as well as the Pacific Northwest. My DH and I both say it reminds us of Douglas Lodge at Itasca State Park.

That said, I don't think you should worry about not enjoying a stay there, Minnesota!, especially because you will be there during the Holiday season. After a full day in the parks, you will appreciate the relative peace and quiet. And the WL even has indoor plumbing, LOL! :teeth: :p :teeth: :teeth:

Just Wondering.. Does it remind anyone else of El Tovar??

I always get that feeling when I go in there. It has been a long time since I've been to the Grand Canyon, but I guess it just reminds me of it.

One more Wisconsinite to chime in...while we did not stay at the WL, we did visit it and had a similar impression. While simply stunning to see [especially at Christmas] it did seem a tad too "up-north" despite its rustic splendor. I would have to agree though, there was not a tavern on every corner...which describes most of WI!!! [LOL] We live in a town of about 4,000...we have six taverns, four churches, three stop lights, a Piggly Wiggly and a WalMart.....and I wouldn't consider living anywhere else on earth!!!!

:earsboy: + :earsgirl:
Mr & Mrs B
Visit WDW

Chanhassen here. We stayed at WL in Sept. We fell in love with the place. Had the waterfalls right outside our room. Could fall asleep with the wonderful noise of falling water, aaaahhhhhh.

No, you will really love the Lodge. It is more fashioned after the Old Faithful Inn of Yellowstone including geysers. Look for the different footprints in the sidewalks etc through our the lodge area including the villas. We walked thru the public areas of the villas and were very impressed with the themeing. Do alot of exploring. True you may think of northern Minnesota but to me it reminded more of Wyoming. They have a 'ranger' that gives talks in the morning. Try to take the tour. Lots of quiet areas also to unwind. Pool was great. Did not know that there is a current on one side.

We felt right at home. Don't missing "Whispering Canyon Cafe". They have great skillet, all you can eat, meals. Lots of atmosphere.

Hope you have fun! I wish I was going with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter