Miserable Movies

Neapolitan Ice Cream

DIS Veteran
What movies have you seen that are just miserable? They can be brilliant or awful.

My top choice: The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Brilliant movie, but chilling to watch.

0*jO0T8MZIm5_aOUUK copy.jpg

Last edited:
Can I change my nomination? Striped Pyjamas was awful to watch, but Requiem for a Dream - despite being a fantastic movie - is the most depressing thing I've ever seen.

Slumdog millianare... great movie.. saw it once and wont see it twice.. too depressing.. Started watching Baby Reindeer on Netflix didnt get past episdoe 2 also sad depressing so no. but well done.

I once had to watch the opening of Saving Private Ryan for college, we had to analyze the cinematography.
I never finished the movie after that class.

And personally, Saving Mr. Banks, I only watch the scenes set in the 'now', all the flashbacks hit too close.

The streaming catalog of depressing movies is the Criterion Collection. Subscribe and watch pretty much anything if you'd like to see brilliant movies that'll make you miserable for days or weeks afterward.

Up! - While I do like the movie, it does have a very heavy feeling from the start of the movie that it really doesn't overcome even with the other good stuff that happens. (and no spoilers but the ending "book" scene broke me)

My two were unexpectedly sad:

Little Man Tate was both wonderful and deeply sad at the same time.

@fly girl Marley and Me was a terrible unexpected tearjerker, I thought it was going to be a sweet kids movie so I went with another Mom and our kids meanwhile, as we left there were dads crying with their kids... not great.

X-Men in 2000 telling the story on Magnito/Eric

I tend to be repelled by sad and tragically violent stories so if they get me they sneak in with other things otherwise nope.

Cabrini was very sad about the treatment of Italian Immigrants and the children in particular, a story people don't tell for some strange reason. This film I expected to be sad but the story of her determination to protect children and what one person can do was uplifting as well.

Last edited:
Seems like there isn't a great acknowledgement emoji for some stuff, as in a thumbs up misses the mark.

Lost in Translation - A guy is stuck in one of the most interesting and exciting cities on earth and decides to be miserable and only do karaoke. (Note: This is from what I remember after seeing it about 10 years ago).

Full disclosure: I go to Japan often and have the best time whenever I'm there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter