Mission: August Magic~Saving my sanity

monymony3471

DIS Veteran
Mission: August Magic

Introductions

I am at it again! Planning another Disney vacation? NO, planning another Disney vacation in AUGUST!

I swore the last time we went to disney in August of 2008, that we would never go again in that heat and humidity. But who listens to reason when it comes to Disney? Neither do I. I looked at my school schedule and it does not allow me to go in Nov/Dec. My favorite time to go, so I will take what I can get!

Here’s my family:

I didn't write a trip report for the december 2008 trip, so I will use those pictures throughout my pre-trip report as they pertain to my entries. I knew there was a reason I uploaded them to photobucket!

100_2625.jpg

Me:~A busy, busy mom of 4 who loves Disney as much as her 4 children combined. I went back to school some time ago and this is the only time my school schedule and our budget will allow us to take a trip down to our favorite place. This will be my eighth trip.

100_2748.jpg

DH:~My husband of almost 15 years is a survivor of kidney cancer. We got a big scare in June of 2008. He has some awesome battle scars, which make for some interesting stories around the camp fire. He has actually gotten into planning our trips more with me, and has come up with some great places for us to stay this vacation. This will be his seventh trip.

100_2872.jpg

DS1 who is 13:~My first born is about to enter high school. He was recently diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome and what a relief to be able to understand our son in a way that finally makes sense. This is his sixth trip to the world. He loves the water parks, and Magic Kingdom and all the mountain rides.

100_2725.jpg

DS2 who is 11:~ He loves the Detroit Tigers and is the biggest Detroit Tiger Fan you will ever meet! My straight A student, stubborn as all get out, turns 12 in a few weeks. This is also his sixth trip.

100_2623.jpg

DD1 who is 5:~Her BFF in the whole wide world is Anastasia. She can’t wait to see her again and just knows that Anastasia will be just as happy to see her. She will be turning 6 in Disney this year and this is her second time celebrating a birthday in WDW. This will be her fifth trip.

100_2882.jpg

DD2 who is 2:~ She is our other princess and Disney souvenir. My baby is about to turn 3 and we HAVE to pay for her this time! Why does turning 3 have to be so expensive? This is her third trip.

We are driving down and staying at Pop Century from August 22-28. We actually leave for the drive on the 20th. Our plans are to stop for the night in Chattanooga TN. We have reservations to stay in Florida on the 21 and 28, just not on Disney property. The villa’s look amazing! I can’t wait to tell you about them.

The trip was recently on the cancelling block. Life gives you twists and turns and it was close, I’m talking 5 days before the last payment needs to be made close that we were able to make a decision.

We drove before to Disney when DD1 was 10 months old and that included my mom who usually travels with us. She will not go during the hot months and just went with my sister (lucky duck) in June. June isn’t any better than August. She said it hit over 100 twice while they were there.

Last time we drove, we drove straight through there and back and it was NOT the best plan. This time we are taking our time. Mom and Dad need to be better rested; we are not as young as we used to be. Oh, I’m 39 and my DH is 48.

If you are reading along thanks; we always seem to have a great time in Disney and the Disney magic has always been kind to us. Thanks for indulging a Disney addict who loves to share the magic.

Disclaimer: I am really bad at setting the proper dates on my camera, so pay no attention to the dates on my pictures.

I'm definitely in! We'll be there during the same time, too. We said the same thing about never going in August. :lmao: You're so right, it's hard to reason w/ anything Disney related. We wanted to do December, but DH's schedule wouldn't work either, boo! Look forward to hearing more about your plans! :goodvibes

I'm in. Our tickers are nearly the same! We will be arriving on Aug. 26. Let the planning begin....or continue....:thumbsup2

Yay we are also staying at POP (Aug 17-28)!

It seems like a lot of Disers will be going around that time and staying at POP lol

P.S. Hello fellow Michiganer (is that what we are called :confused::laughing:)

Thanks everyone.

First if you aren't, you should be reading camsmomE's trip report. She is so funny and her little one is very precious, and she has a creative side that is inspiring AND I've never "met" a bag-a-holic like her! :rotfl:

qanita92-I think its acceptable to call use Michiganians, or Michiganders. I don't really care, I know what you meant and thanks! Love having the neighbors over anytime!

stepdisney: planning should be my middle nameg. Plan on needing ponchos, lots of ponchos.....and deodorant.:rotfl2:

WDWRocksMySocks: I love your username and your photos on your PTR are great! Love the castle with the reflection off of the water the best. Your pirated one isn't bad either.........

BS Gal: Thanks so much, you put up with me on the Moovers thread, and you are punishing yourself some more, I just love you! So, maybe this time our paths may cross?

I mentioned before that we drove to WDW. I didn’t mention we live in Michigan. The drive is almost 1000 miles each way. 19 hours and some change if driving a straight line. No stops for eating or potty breaks figured in those hours. (Yes I said potty-we have an almost 3 year old that is pretty successful with going potty on the toilet at the moment)

I remember how excited and confident we were thinking we could drive straight through. No problem, we’re going to Disney World! We can drive all day and all night. The Disney magic will keep us awake! High five, Woo Hoo!

Had to pull over in Tennessee sometime between 3am and 4am at a gas station and just close my eyes for a few minutes. We were woken up over an hour later to the sun coming up. Boy I bet we looked like a bunch of dorks all sleeping in a mini-van just before dawn at a gas station, me at the wheel, my husband at my right, my mom and my then three kids in the back. Offering a perfect opportunity for someone to mess with us and write with shaving cream all over our car, or something like that.

So we don’t expend our sanity more than it already is, remember four kids, we are going to split up the drive and stop in Chattanooga TN and stay the night so we can be recharged and fresh for the second half of the drive down.

DH and I spent many hours trying to pick which hotel to stay at, provided it can be reserved with his frequent flyer miles and hold all six of us. Seems simple enough? It wasn’t. I believe we sat side by side for three nights looking at our options, reading reviews, and disagreeing. One night it took a few piwos each. You figure it out.

I didn’t want two rooms if the entrances were outside. I just didn’t feel right having my kids in another room with an entrance I could not see.

Most hotels do not accommodate a family of six in one room. Those that do, the points were beyond our limit. In the end, we agreed and the reservations were made.

The ones that concern me are in FL right before and right after our stay at Pop Century. With going the frequent flyer route, we can cancel, but we lose all the points. Once you book, it’s a done deal point wise. It wasn’t until after we booked that I thought of another site to read reviews. Let’s just say, that my trip report should be a dozy when it comes to those two nights, if what some of those people are reporting is really the truth!

I told myself I won’t obsess over it, it’s out of my hands and I can’t do anything about it now. I’m just glad I have some clue what could possibly happen, so I am not caught off guard. I only like Disney surprises that include some kind of golden fast passes or sleeping in the castle.

BS Gal: Thanks so much, you put up with me on the Moovers thread, and you are punishing yourself some more, I just love you! So, maybe this time our paths may cross?

sure, let me know your plans and me might be able to arrange something!

Try the Homewood Suites my Hilton. We love it there. If you book a two bedroom, you will have one room with a king, one room with TWO queens and a sleeper sofa. We love it there. AND you get breakfast. If you are a Hilton Honors member, you get perks like free upgrades. We book a 1 bedroom and are often upgraded. (we are gold members and I think this is why). It will be plenty of room for you.

DH said that he did look at that hotel, but that particular room was not offerend when we were redeeming our delta miles. Thanks for the info though.

Got my mickey mail today! Woo :cool1: Hoo! :cool1:

And I put together a little packing list for this trip:

I have kids: (but can also apply to big kids), the stuff I am using to decorate my resorts windows with: (a strand of lights and the foam Mickey mouse heads I cut out and glitter glued our names on, Mickey and Minnie stuffed dolls to display in our windows, and dry erase magnetic board and dry erase markers for passersby to write notes on, my pre-made mouse keeping envelopes, my pre-made cards that I hand out to cast members who I feel went out of their way making our vacation extra magical, I might make some personalized window clings again.

Pull-ups, 3pks of ponchos from the dollar store (expect sudden showers throughout your days), double the sun screen, band aids, clear see-through back pack, kool-aid sticks for bottled water, I usually place an order with gardengrocer.com when we fly-to deliver diapers, wipes, cases of water, snacks, and juice to the room but we are driving this time, stroller, sunglasses, hats, pass porter book, pass porter ticket and room key holders, camera, battery charger, extra memory sticks, cell phone and charger, uploaded a free application on my phone called Ride Hopper Lite for wait times and park and parade times (looks really cool) shampoo, conditioner, shavers, extra socks, laundry soap, quarters, ID, insurance/medical cards, money, important papers, pony tail holders, ibuprophren, prescription meds, the itinerary, deodorant, comb/brush, clothes you plan on wearing, extra shoes, bathing suits, go on-line and put a hold on your mail delivery service, autograph books and LARGE Sharpies, lanyards and trading pins, princess costumes for 1900 dinner, daughter’s birthday presents (she is turning 6 while we are there), Benadryl, children’s Tylenol and Motrin, vitamins, insect repellant, bathroom spray (Lysol), the over the door pocket hanger to hold all the necessities, laundry bag for dirty clothes, my son's epi-pen (peanut allergy) first aid kit for the car, extra water in gallon jugs (in case car overheats.

I have mentioned this before on other threads, if you frequent the ones I do, and I seem to believe I am forgetting something. But I also added a few things, so maybe I am just confusing myself.:upsidedow

A KIND DISER, 2TxAgs, REMINDED ME THAT I NEED ZIPLOCK BAGS!

FOR THIS:

PreDisney001.jpg

and this:

PreDisney002.jpg

I love packing this way. These were from our August 2008 trip.

I do it for me and my husband so there is no indecision when getting ready.

I am so happy that I do not need bottles, and pacifies, and diapers, and swim diapers this time! For the first time in 6 years, my kids are (almost) diaper free!!!!

The soon to be 3 year old only wears a pull up at night for accidents, she hasn't gone long enough being dry for my liking.

Another Diser, sherabby has pointed out that they are adding extra Fanstasmic shows, so I had to update the park hours list.

Now I have to find out what a Crowd Calendar is and how this information applies to us!:surfweb:

Ha, I have never seen such organization in packing. :laughing: I just usually throw my stuff in there and then wonder why I forgot something (or why I brought so many tank tops but only 3 pairs of shorts). I'm so impressed!!

There is a crowd calendar located here. They show about 30 days worth for free, but you have to be a registered member to see anything beyond that. I think it's like $10.95/year or something. Well worth it! Plus, the subscription also includes their app called "Lines", which is AMAZING!!! I'm obsessed w/ checking it, even when I'm not in the parks. Sad, I know. It's similar to Ride Hopper, but I like it a little better.

WOW, Mony, I'm exhausted just reading your packing list! Very impressive.

Thanks Marita, I was beginning to think that I was just talking to myself.:lmao:

When you do meet up with your disfriends, where/what/how do you like to arrange that? I am still in limbo what days we will be where, I just received a link to the crowd calendar, so I have some exploring to do......

Hi Mony,

Really I only met up a few times with Dis friends, and it all depends on work and and your availability.
Twice was for big Dis meets when I was able to take the day off, met up a couple of times for lunch, or just a quick meeting with Nebo and Smidgy t B&C, where I ended up having to run. Nebo kidded me about only having water, LOL, but I had to go.

So, maybe lunch is the best option? Or if you are at CM at a time I can make it. We can discuss as you get closer.

I ended up calling in sick today, you wont normally see me around during the day, but after late night emails with director and the GM, I woke up at 9:30 this morning :scared1: Have been resisting looking at work email, I'm wiped out!

I am literally sitting here doing 10 things at once! I just finished my spring/summer classes, and took my last final at 12:50pm today.

I am so giddy because I made myself promise that I couldn’t do anything vacation related until my last class was over.

So I finally can switch into OCD mode and start diving into all the things I’ve been dying to do.

For instance! I am in the middle of making my mousekeeping envelopes. I found a real easy template to down load at mousekeeping envelope templates

I have most of them cut out and assembled. Don’t let that word trip you up, a few basic folds and two pieces of tape and presto, it’s done!

I asked my DH to bring out the 2 large suitcases. I’ll probably have to ask him several more times. So far the count is at 1. Any wagers on that one?

I have this large Tupperware container sitting on my counter that is getting full of some-of-this and some-of those things I find just running around my house on a daily basis. You know stuff that you see on that rare occasion that if you had to go and find it you couldn’t? So, when I come across it, I pick it up, and put it in the “container”.

Money is tight, and I have been dying to get the girls a few more things for the trip. I justified this by going to the local Salvation Army yesterday. I found the cutest outfits for the girls dirt cheap already AND there was a 50% off of items with red tags. Some even had the original store tags on them!

The zip lock bags have been doing the happy dance every time I open my pantry. They know I will be busting them loose to pack the kids things in them soon! Well, the big kids stuff too!

And speaking of doing way to much at once, I just had to leave and come back. I found out that I have these ugly grotesque insects all over my zucchini and pumpkin plants. I did an on-line search and found out that aphids have invaded my garden. I am not a big fan of pesticides, so I made a soapy solution like the website said and I went all Bruce Willis on them. It made me feel like I brought half of them in the house on me. I hate creepy crawly things especially when said creepy crawly things are on ME!

I hope it works. If it doesn’t, I may have to go out and get some ladybugs and introduce them to my smorgasbord. It’s a sit down credit on the dining plan, don’t cha know?!

Oh, and it only took twice to get the suitcases out of the basement! I think he is feeling the excitement, my mood has definitely changed since I walked out of that last class today!:dance3:

Congrats on finishing up your classes this semester. So exciting!!!

Don't you love when you drag out the suitcases? It's such a great feeling!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter