Mission : Space and Claustrophobia

LSU_Mackey

Forever LSU
I want to ride Mission : Space as it is a thrill ride and such and seems like an interesting experience but I have heard that it is pretty claustrophobic. I was wondering if anyone had pictures to show how close the screen comes to your face...I doubt the lines would be liberal enough to allow me to try green and then decide on orange.

Thanks,
Mac

The console is about a foot from your face. It's very, very tight in the capsule, not much room on either side of you. I'm not the slightest bit claustrophobic, and it threw me a little the first time I rode it.

We ride the weenie line:thumbsup2
But the ride is very enclosed. I'm able to handle it because you can see that each pod is in a huge room. So I don't feel trapped when I focus on what's outside the pod.

If you are even slightly claustrophobic, I would skip this ride. My DH and my DD19 cannot ride it because it's too tight. It doesn't bother me at all, but my DD19 says "it's worse than a coffin." When you enter the ride, they have you sit and get strapped in, but then when they close the door, the panel in front of you leans in toward you. My DD didn't realize it was going to do that and she about had a huge fit and it was all I could do to keep her calm because there was no getting off at that point, and she was 18 at the time.

If you do decide to do it, I'd do green first as it's less intense and then next time you go, you can do orange if you want. Whatever you decide, have a great time!

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

I am not claustrophobic, but I will not ride again. I had been on on three previous trips, but this last time was very difficult for me. I'm not sure why, though. :confused3

I would definitely try the green line first. If you feel alright with that, then go for the orange. It's definitely an experience!!!!

My girlfriend is also very claustrophobic, but since it was her first trip she wanted to try everything. She ended up laughing and enjoying the ride, said it was tense at the very start, but she enjoyed it overall.

But like everyone stated, if your to worried about it I would skip over this one.

I don't like it. I'm not claustrophobic, but it is extremely tight. I close my eyes (on the weenie side) and I know I couldn't physcially handle the "puke" side (as we call it!) without having to return to my room for the rest of the day. Not worth it..

For me it was more the feeling I was going to hurl when I got off (orange). You sit in a sectioned off "seat" so you have limited view to your left or right .. and are meant to look into the "window" in front of you have plays out the ride movie.

On Orange I recommend not turning your head or you will get motion sickness real quick .. I think I oozed out of the ride when I was over and was clammy.

There's no way to show you a picture because its way too tight to take a picture.

And as others have said its very tight. Its kind of like take a small tv with you into a sleeping bag and zip it up over your head.

For some reason I think that the green side would be worse for someone who is claustrophobic.

Both sides use the same ride vehicles. On the orange side there's a lot happening. I've never done the green side but think I would find it boring.

Yeah, it's tight, but it isn't "worse than a coffin" -- the console closes toward you, and the screen is about a foot from your face, but there's plenty of space to the sides, and the console has to be close enough for you to push your mission task switches (and play with all the others).

Besides, if you're following instructions -- and I recommend following those instructions -- you won't be turning your head from side to side while the ride is running. Instead, you'll be staring at the screen, which, if you focus on it, takes on the appearance of a window offering a view "outside" the "spacecraft."

If you can suspend reality enough to buy into that illusion, you'll do just fine.

If you still think you'll be bothered, try using your computer with your face about 12-14 inches from the display. That's the approximate distance. Imagine your display is a window through a space ship bulkhead. Do this until you are no longer anxious about having the display that close to your face.

If you do that a couple of times a week, you should be fine by the time you decide to ride.

If you have to question if you should ride or not, I would say NOT. My son is an aerospace engineer and works on aircraft and constantly in flight. He did the orange and I did the weinee one. I do not get air sick or motion sick, and have never had claustrophobia but I did on that. My son, was GREEN when he came off the orange and said he wouldn't ride it again. He thought he was going to loose his cookies. It was a surprise to both of us that we were bothered at all. Again, I'd say if you have a question that it might bother you, I would just pass it by for more suitable ride for you.

Disney and barf bag should not be used in the same sentence.

I had a very unexpected attack of claustrophobia on this ride (green side) and it was only my DH and myself in the pod!

Imagine a sardine can, tipped up on its side and opened with a hinge on the bottom. Then sit 4 people inside the can and close the hinge. This is what I found this ride to be like. I came very close to total panic, but managed to keep my heart rate somewhat under 1000 by focusing on a little red light and counting the seconds until it was over. It was bad.

IF you can make yourself concentrate on the screen in front of you and block out the fact that you're sharing a sardine can with 3 other folks, who are breathing YOUR oxygen, :scared1: then by all means, ride Mission Space!

BTW- it's become my DH's favorite ride at Epcot, so the rest of us wait for him in the gift shop.

There is no way around it, you are in a 4-person box and restrained by a shoulder harness. When the capsule closes and the front panel closes from 24 inches away down to 12 inches away, even the average person flinches a bit. If you are claustrophobic at all I would not try it.

I compare the Orange Training Mission to any other intense roller coaster or carnival ride with intensive "g" forces. Do you like the "round up" carnival ride that spins you incessantly? Roller coasters with high "g" turns or bottom outs?

Then you will like Orange training. The only real difference is: No wind in your face, and, no "drop" sensations, although they do manage to simulate going weightless for a moment!

I’d never ride it. I never used to get claustrophobia but this ride gave me a near panic attack. It’s even brought on claustrophobia for me in other aspects of life. I wish I’d never gone on it. Definitely not the type of ride that I’d associate with Disney

It’s going to vary by person, as Claustrophobia can be very specific to the person.

To the extent it helps....My experience: I’m moderately/very claustrophobic. Can’t do MRI without meds, or crawl under a bed, or go into any cave. I have trouble in Tough to Be a Bug at AK waiting room underground. But I don’t have a problem on Mission Space. YMMV. You can move your arms and hands easily, including pushing buttons preflight (some of which light up or make sounds). The flight experience is engaging and well done.

I would recommend green first because the other factors on Orange are more stressing/stressful.

Its tight. But, if you take a deep breath, calm down and look into the screen and pay attention, you can do it. I am claustrophobic, but I just stay calm and take regular deep breaths. The thing that scares me is what if I do have a panic attack and need out? Do they monitor the ride with video cameras? Can they stop it and get me out? I think if I knew they could, I would feel better about riding it....

My son sometimes gets car sick in cars but has never been sick on any rides yet. Would this be a ride he should skip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter