Mission Space vs Rock'n Rollercoaster

ceejay13

DIS Veteran
Can someone compare the beginning of MS to the beginning of RnR for me?? I didn't handle the beginning of RnR very well and am concerned that I will experience the same reaction to the start of MS. Thanks for any help you can send my way!

We rode both rides this visit. I think I handled the beginning of MS better than RnR. The beginning of MS is more of a Claustrophobic issue for me - the restraints are thicker than RnR and the console comes in which makes it seem small. The beginning of RnR scared the crap out of me! :p I was ready to get off the ride then! I'll do MS again, but I don't think I'll do RnR again.

My DD loved it - she loved both rides!:rolleyes:

I sure agree with you diathoney!

I never got sick or felt sick on any amusement type ride in my life until the very beginning of RnR. I really had to talk to myself those few seconds we took off, I really thought I was going to lose it...I must have been green and we were in the very back of the car.

I must admit once I passed those first few seconds the rest of the ride was one of the biggest rushes I've had in years!!!!

I think I'll be too chicken to do MS. I hate that closed in feeling!

ceejay13,

Both rides begin with tremendous G-forces. The start of R & R Coaster is over in a flash and you're off to turns and loops through the night sky of LA. The launch of Mission:SPACE lasts much longer, and the effect of these launch G-forces is like nothing I've ever felt! I scream in both rides, but my scream in Mission:SPACE lasts until I'm out of air to make noise with. Astronauts say that the experience is quite similar to a real shuttle launch. And right after the G-forces of the launch, you feel "weightless" in space! Mission:SPACE is a unique and complex attraction, different from the roller coaster experience. My wife felt nausea and loss of balance after Mission:SPACE and probably won't ride it again, although she felt she had to do it at least once!

Steven Barrett, author of "The Hassle-Free Walt Disney World Vacation" and "Hidden Mickeys, A Field Guide to Walt Disney World's Best Kept Secrets", both books published by The Intrepid Traveler Publishers.

For M;S, I knew that once we got out of the Earth's atmosphere things would be better! Plus I had 3 pre-teens to "BE STRONG" for! LOL:rolleyes:

I loved M:S! Something about it gave me such a rush! Like "going where no man has gone before!" For RnR, I did that stuff when I was young - I don't need THAT rush anymore!:p

Both begin with G forces, but we feel that Mission: Space is more pronounced due to the duration. With RnR, you are going fast and soon into the loop.

To me they are nothing alike. I think the visual in M:S could be half the problem that some experience.

A note on comparing G forces between the two attractions. On RnR, heading into the first inversion, you will experience 4 to 5 Gs. This is a VERY brief moment. On Mission: SPACE, the launch and some points during the ride you can experience up to 2.5 Gs. This is a sustained G force of at least 30 seconds, in my estimation.

In my opinion, the G forces of the launch of each ride is comparable. The difference comes when the RnR track heads "up" to turn you upside-down.

Ted

Thanks for all of your replies, the comparisons really did help.

Steven Barrett - I didn't realize you were on these boards. I have really enjoyed your "Hidden Mickey" book. Thanks for all the great tips.

ceejay13,

I appreciate your words about the Hidden Mickeys book! Some HM's have been lost (for example, the video monitors at Space Mountain are gone) and some new ones have appeared. I'm in the process of updating lost and new HM's on the publisher's website www.theotherorlando.com.

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter