"Mixed" family trip help

Definitely don't make them share a room. Bad idea. However, I think going at the same time with some basic ground rules you set is fine. For example, agree that nobody has to wait in a line they don't want and you don't all have to do everything together. Make a few set all together plans and go wit the flow for the rest. Have ideas, ADRs, but don't force it. Maybe pre plan at least part of one day as separate mom and me time. I think it will be fine..if you don't make them share a room. That alone space will be vital, imo

When my future MIL and my mom are together, I always feel nervous. Like yours, they have only met a handful of times so when they see each other now, it's still slightly awkward with conversations consisting of mostly small talk and awkward silences. I feel like I always need to be around to mediate. I would not be able to handle a vacation with them together for my own sanity.

The hubby and I have taken both of our mothers. We took them at different times--so they each really felt like the trip was all about them.

If you and your hubby like to go for 9-10 days--you can have the moms come down for the first 5 days, and then you and the hubby can "recover" during the end of your vacation.

a lot of people have already touched on the room-sharing thing, but I thought I would mention an idea for the character meal

Garden Grill at Epcot. Characters, but not a buffet. If you get one of those semi-circular booths (and if you don't, ask if you can wait for one) it actually seems very private, you really can't see other guests from your booth, and it has interesting, ever changing scenery.

First, what a lovely idea :) So sweet for you to want to do that for your moms.
I think the 2 bedroom DVC is a great idea but I would definitely have you each share with your moms. If they are comfortable staying together I am sure they will speak up and say so.
As for character meals I think Garden Grill is a great idea or do a breakfast, that way your mom will be up for it and your mil would be sleeping in anyway.
I hope everything works out, it is such a sweet idea :)

I agree with those who say each share a room with your own mother.

I think it's a lovely idea to take them both at the same time though. My mother and my future MIL are not friends because they have only spent a small amount of time together, but that doesn't mean with some more time together they won't be friends.

You know your mothers' personalities. If you think they will get along fine then I think take them both at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter