• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MK/Fantasyland “Early Morning Magic” (EMM) (Thread Now Closed, See New MK EMM FAQ Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very helpful! Thanks for posting! I'm trying to decide if we should head to Big Thunder or just stay in Fantasyland. Might do the latter.

Glad its been helpful. Thats probably a good idea, we only went elsewhere to keep my teenage son happy! But with BTM down at park opening, i was glad we had already had breakfast and were'nt having to worry about getting back in time. Have a magical time when its your turn!

Thanks for sharing your experience and comparing it to your prior one. I have a touring plan set up for our EMM morning in August and I recently re-evaluated it and touringplans increased all my 7DMT wait times during EMM to 9-10 minutes, from previously 2-3. I’m wondering if their algorithm has picked up on what you experienced.

You know, now that I think about it when I first went to book EMM it was sold out, and I was disappointed and irritated with myself that I hadn't just booked earlier instead of dragging my feet on committing, particularly since you can cancel. Then one random day a bunch of slots opened up both for June 17th and June 12th, the 2 days we were considering. I wonder if they increased capacity and added spots above what they had typically been selling. It makes sense, I don't know why else a lot would open at the same time after it had been sold out, unless they had some reason they were just holding back openings.

You know, now that I think about it when I first went to book EMM it was sold out, and I was disappointed and irritated with myself that I hadn't just booked earlier instead of dragging my feet on committing, particularly since you can cancel. Then one random day a bunch of slots opened up both for June 17th and June 12th, the 2 days we were considering. I wonder if they increased capacity and added spots above what they had typically been selling. It makes sense, I don't know why else a lot would open at the same time after it had been sold out, unless they had some reason they were just holding back openings.

I wonder if they are adding more. We went and did EMM twice last October and both days were sold out. We did 7dmt 10 times with no wait other then 1 car the first ride. PP and WP had no wait either and they let us stay in our car and go again without walking around.

No, we booked a week after it became available. I know it is very limited, so I didn't want to wait and take a chance of it selling out.

In the past few weeks or so, no one has been able to book past September. I booked for October the day I did my ADRs, but I’m a little concerned about why Disney has seemingly closed booking for October and November.

I went to my date (9/4) and played around with availability. It showed me options for up to 12 people, but anything higher than that it said to please call/that it couldn't be done online.

Maybe they allow some overages if people call in to book large groups? No idea.

I hope they haven't increased capacity.

It was still within what we would call very low crowds and short waits, and thus worth it, but the wait on the mine train was nearing what I would consider the top acceptable wait for how this should be and the line between a great event and a just ok one.

Hi @ninafeliz! Hope you had a great trip and thank you for stopping in with your review!

Our last EMM, which I think was either July or Sept last year, was very similar to your statement above. I’ve been to EMMs where the 7DMT line is 2-3 cars first thing, but then it sort of spreads out and becomes a 1-2 car wait. Our morning it seemed 7DMT couldn’t shake the crowd and it stayed a 3-4 car wait the whole time - the return line would often end just inside the “cave” entrance of the FP line. Not “bad,” just not quite the get on, get off I had experienced on prior trips. I also left thinking it was towards the top of the acceptable range.

Granted, the other rides were totally empty. Like no one around at all. It seemed that particular morning every single EMM participant only wanted 7DMT.

I sort of wondered at the time if Disney had tinkered ever so slightly with the numbers, but ultimately didn’t think much of it.

We have one coming up so I’m curious to see how things are these days.

Anyway, thanks again for checking in.

I am booked for 9/4 which will be our first EMM experience! Would it be totally insane to also book it for 9/11? My in-laws will be us on 9/4 but they leave the morning of 9/11 so it would be me, my husband, DD6 and DS2.

I am booked for 9/4 which will be our first EMM experience! Would it be totally insane to also book it for 9/11? My in-laws will be us on 9/4 but they leave the morning of 9/11 so it would be me, my husband, DD6 and DS2.

You can always cancel the 9/11 one if you don't like the experience on 9/4!

Hi @ninafeliz! Hope you had a great trip and thank you for stopping in with your review!

Our last EMM, which I think was either July or Sept last year, was very similar to your statement above. I’ve been to EMMs where the 7DMT line is 2-3 cars first thing, but then it sort of spreads out and becomes a 1-2 car wait. Our morning it seemed 7DMT couldn’t shake the crowd and it stayed a 3-4 car wait the whole time - the return line would often end just inside the “cave” entrance of the FP line. Not “bad,” just not quite the get on, get off I had experienced on prior trips. I also left thinking it was towards the top of the acceptable range.

Granted, the other rides were totally empty. Like no one around at all. It seemed that particular morning every single EMM participant only wanted 7DMT.

I sort of wondered at the time if Disney had tinkered ever so slightly with the numbers, but ultimately didn’t think much of it.

We have one coming up so I’m curious to see how things are these days.

Anyway, thanks again for checking in.

This says EXACTLY how I feel after this last experience vs our prior ones, just more succinctly than I put it!

Your description of where the line ended for mine train is spot on to June 17th, as opposed to no line at all on our first time doing EMM and just a small, less than 1 train line for the next one or two trips. This last time the other rides weren't empty, but there weren't many people riding them and we never went back to see what is was like after our initial 2 rides. In my nonprofessional opinion, if they are tinkering with numbers, they are at the amount they should stop at without adding any more at all!

This is what I would do! If you wait and it sells out you'll be disappointed, but as long as you cancel within the cancellation period you'll get your money back no problem. So if you end up loving it, you'll be all set, and if you think it's "meh", you can cancel. Or, if the first day looks like a rain out or something you could always cancel it and just do the second.

This is what I would do! If you wait and it sells out you'll be disappointed, but as long as you cancel within the cancellation period you'll get your money back no problem. So if you end up loving it, you'll be all set, and if you think it's "meh", you can cancel. Or, if the first day looks like a rain out or something you could always cancel it and just do the second.
Those are great points! Thank you both!

We did 2 last year when we were there and I’ve got 2 booked for the week this year :)
If you don’t like it. You can always cancel the second one.

We did EMM on June 24th and it was great. Got in right around 7:45.
Knew to ride PP first since everyone else was headed to 7DMT. Went to 7DMT next and line was long, probably to cave opening but moving fast. Rode it 7 times in a row by around 8:45 and the line progressively got shorter as people headed to breakfast. By 8:40-ish there was no more line but I had about reached my limit :crazy2: lol. We ran into PVH to get a snack, rode PP one more time, and at 9 headed to ride HM. Originally we planned BTMRR and HM but we werent feeling running back to BTMRR and back in the heat so we stuck to just HM and then to breakfast and then we started on our FP. All in all a great morning.

Last edited:
Post #3 has been updated with the latest round of DISer reviews. Thanks to everyone for checking in and posting about your recent EMM experiences! :thanks:

We did EMM on June 24th and it was great. Got in right around 7:45.
Knew to ride PP first since everyone else was headed to 7DMT. Went to 7DMT next and line was long, probably to cave opening but moving fast. Rode it 7 times in a row by around 8:45 and the line progressively got shorter as people headed to breakfast. By 8:40-ish there was no more line but I had about reached my limit :crazy2: lol. We ran into PVH to get a snack, rode PP one more time, and at 9 headed to ride HM. Originally we planned BTMRR and HM but we werent feeling running back to BTMRR and back in the heat so we stuck to just HM and then to breakfast and then we started on our FP. All in all a great morning.
So you can stop in and get food more than once? Interesting!

We did EMM on Sunday June 17th, this was our 3rd or 4th time doing this event. We were staying at the BC, we took a Minnie Van over in the morning just to make sure we didn't have any issue with busses. Getting the Minnie Van was no problem, we tried at about 6:40 and got one right away, we were at the MK at abut 7:00 and arrived just as they opened up the bag check lines. We were probably 3-4 families from the front of the line, we got our wrist bands in a few minutes and shortly after they let us tap in, then we waited just before the train station underpass until 7:45. We were a couple of groups back from being the first to walk down main street, but we didn't really power walk or trot, just walked fast. One dad skipped at full speed with super high jumping all the way down main street pushing a double stroller! I thought it was cute, my cynical DH said he was just trying to not get yelled at for running :teeth:. We stopped for one picture in front of the castle with no wait, then walked back to Fantasyland. We tried something different this year, and first did PP twice with no wait at all and then did Pooh twice with essentially no wait, but there were actually people in front of us. Then we headed over to SDMT. Here is where I was surprised. During our previous EMMs there was literally no wait. We were the only 4 people on the train multiple times, I have pictures of my DS1 and I in the back seat and no one else on the train except my DS2 and DH in the front seat, and pictures of the 4 of us in the back car alone and in the front car alone on the train. This time there was probably a 4-5 min wait for each ride, and every car was running full. We still rode 4 times, once in the middle, twice in the back car and once in the front car (we all agree the back is the best ride, if you want good pictures of just a great view the front is good for that). By our 4th ride there was less wait, maybe only 2 trains. After 4 rides we decided if we wanted to be at the front for getting into Tomorrowland we had better get going, we maybe could have gotten a 5th ride in but figured why chance it. When we walked to toward Tomorrowland we saw the Teacups were running and a ride was just ending, so since it was 8:53 we hopped on for one ride before the park opened. (I'm pretty sure the carrousel had been running as well, it was going but we never went over to see if they were actually loading people onto it or not, I presume they were). They were pretty aggressive about not letting people past certain points over by Tomorrowland, I thought a little oddly so since it was wide open and there was no actual rope or delineation of where you were supposed to stop. For example, after our teacup ride they made you exit on the side by fantasyland even though I don't think that is an actual marked exit, and wouldn't let me make a left to wait for the official park opening time there even though there were other people already waiting there that hadn't ridden. What they did was make us wait for the crowd that was coming down the path to Tomorrowland that passes the Cheshire cat (I think it's called) food kiosk, beside cosmic rays. Then they let us go to Tomorrowland. But that put us pretty far behind the people that went to Tomorrowland via Tomorrowland Terrace, so by the time we got to Space Mountain the line had backed up almost to the peoplemover overhead track. Since we wanted to get to breakfast in time to make a BTMRR FP that ended at 10:25, and we did have a Space Mt FP for a later day, we didn't wait to see how long the actual line would end up being and instead rode Astro Orbiter. This is a guilty pleasure ride of mine! For some reason I really like it, maybe its the iconic views plus nostalgia since my DS5 loved it and we rode it 5 times in a row during the first DAH events, but the stupid loading system takes so long we won't ride it except at times like this. We would have easily had time for Buzz before breakfast, but my DH didn't want to be rushed so we headed over then. And again I was surprised. Perviously the place was almost empty when we ate, this time the ground floor seating was probably 2/3 full and there were decently long lines for the buffet This was from 9:35-10:10 or so. Not terrible, but I'm comparing to no wait at all. Breakfast was the same as always, and I think it's very good. We left breakfast around 10:15, they had taken half of it down but the other half was still up and some Disney CMs (presumably higher ups) were getting their plates before they closed it down. We then did out FP+ for BTMRR, Splash Mt, and the cars and then I had my first real experience at refreshing to get immediate rolling FPs, and I must say I loved it and it worked amazing! Counting the 9 rides we did during EMM we did 16 rides by 1:00, which is usually more than we do in an entire day with our typical touring. We had a great morning, and still love EMM, but I'm wondering if they increased capacity a bit or if it's just different crowd patterns, etc from our previous times. It was still within what we would call very low crowds and short waits, and thus worth it, but the wait on the mine train was nearing what I would consider the top acceptable wait for how this should be and the line between a great event and a just ok one. We've been lucky, we've never had rain and never had a ride down for the event. Mine train did go down a little later in the morning, not long after the park opened, I'm not sure for how long.
Interesting report. Thank you! I am really looking forward to seeing how I think the crowd is as we did EMM November of 2016 when there were definitely only 200 people. It's irritating that they would increase capacity. I hope that's not the case as it is/was such a wonderful experience and I hope they aren't messing with it and ruining it!!

Had a question about ropedrop. Was thinking about doing Space Mountain and then Buzz at ropedrop. First, is that doable trying to get back to breakfast by 9:45? Second, trying to imagine where you were standing trying to get to SM...were you ahead of the ropedrop crowd or behind them?? Do they not let the EMM crowd get a jump on the ropedrop crowd? We just stayed in Fantasyland last time so trying to get to a high demand ride at rd will be something new for us after EMM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter