MLK vs Presidents' vs Spring Break. Which one would you pick?(4D/5N w/1yo and 13yo, not 1st timers)

MLK weekend vs Presidents' weekend vs Spring Break: Which would you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ducky'sMom

Mom to a smol bean and a spicy potato <3
Hey y'all,

So depending on how things look down the line, we're deciding on doing a smallish trip early 2022. It'd be me, DH, DS 1 (more specifically 16-18mos) and DD 12 (13 in Feb). We have a BIG trip planned for Sept 2022 with my sister (8D/9N), so we're not worried about hitting a bunch of attractions. Looking at crowd calendars/advice on 'busier' times was a bit overwhelming, so I wanted to ask y'all fine folks! Here's the pros/cons/relevant info for my situation:

MLK:
- Festival of the Arts (maybe?) which we haven't got to go to, and Epcot is our favorite park
- DD only gets the holiday off, so she'd miss 3 days of school, which we're okay with given how the last year+ has been
- Cooler temps, but no pool time

Presidents':
- FotA might still be open
- Teacher work day Friday before the holiday, so DD would only miss 2 days of school
- Might be warm enough for pool
- Princess Marathon might happen that weekend??

Spring Break:
- DD's SB seems to be earlier than other schools, but still seems to be a busy time
- Warmer but not too hot weather
- No missed school days
- I'm assuming the thickest crowds though (Would having the trip during the weekdays help?)
- Flower and garden might be going on?

So what would you do? What have you done before?

Of your 3 choices, I'd go with MLK weekend. With a 4-day trip, you may not miss the pool time and there is a SLIGHT chance that the weather may cooperate. In January I've had rainy/ chilly and I've had sunny / heat. Who knows on that front?? Festival of the Arts is beautiful and fun. Presidents Day tends to be more active. For me, the risk of a Marathon weekend would nix this option. It can be very crowded. Just my experience maybe. As far as Spring Break goes, I did it twice (because my son's birthday falls during that time), but we avoid that at all cost. Cabin Fever represented from all parts of the country/ world. I really don't mind crowds, but it's hard to move a family around well with large crowds. To answer your question, no, weekdays just look like weekend crowds and weekend crowds are .... bigger still. No matter what you decide, have a great trip.

Hey y'all,

So depending on how things look down the line, we're deciding on doing a smallish trip early 2022. It'd be me, DH, DS 1 (more specifically 16-18mos) and DD 12 (13 in Feb). We have a BIG trip planned for Sept 2022 with my sister (8D/9N), so we're not worried about hitting a bunch of attractions. Looking at crowd calendars/advice on 'busier' times was a bit overwhelming, so I wanted to ask y'all fine folks! Here's the pros/cons/relevant info for my situation:

MLK:
- Festival of the Arts (maybe?) which we haven't got to go to, and Epcot is our favorite park
- DD only gets the holiday off, so she'd miss 3 days of school, which we're okay with given how the last year+ has been
- Cooler temps, but no pool time

Presidents':
- FotA might still be open
- Teacher work day Friday before the holiday, so DD would only miss 2 days of school
- Might be warm enough for pool
- Princess Marathon might happen that weekend??

Spring Break:
- DD's SB seems to be earlier than other schools, but still seems to be a busy time
- Warmer but not too hot weather
- No missed school days
- I'm assuming the thickest crowds though (Would having the trip during the weekdays help?)
- Flower and garden might be going on?

So what would you do? What have you done before?
Orange County Schools’ spring break is March 11-18 in 2022, so you might want to figure that into your crowd predictions.

I voted MLK—so far the clear winner! It is close enough after winter school breaks it is less crowded than the other two.

We went MLK week once and felt it was not that bad, especially compared to some other weeks we’ve been (Columbus Day was the worst!!!). I find I can deal with crowds better, in any case, when it’s not blazing hot and humid outside!

Of your 3 choices, I'd go with MLK weekend. With a 4-day trip, you may not miss the pool time and there is a SLIGHT chance that the weather may cooperate. In January I've had rainy/ chilly and I've had sunny / heat. Who knows on that front?? Festival of the Arts is beautiful and fun. Presidents Day tends to be more active. For me, the risk of a Marathon weekend would nix this option. It can be very crowded. Just my experience maybe. As far as Spring Break goes, I did it twice (because my son's birthday falls during that time), but we avoid that at all cost. Cabin Fever represented from all parts of the country/ world. I really don't mind crowds, but it's hard to move a family around well with large crowds. To answer your question, no, weekdays just look like weekend crowds and weekend crowds are .... bigger still. No matter what you decide, have a great trip.
Thank you so much for the advice! I'm surprised so many recommended MLK weekend, but so far it sounds like the winner.

Orange County Schools’ spring break is March 11-18 in 2022, so you might want to figure that into your crowd predictions.
Oh no, I didn't realize that! That definitely makes a difference.

I've been going MLK week for a few years, arriving the Sat before MLK day. Temps can be unpredictable (I've worn a coat and a swimsuit in the same week), but it should be less crowded than your other options. It's definitely more crowded than my Sept trips, particularly the weekend, but the cooler temps make it much more manageable, . Also Festival of the Arts is wonderful and should start at the same time as your trip, or possibly a week earlier.

Prior to this last year we had gone the week leading up to MLK Day for three years. The arts fest usually started our last full park day and honestly it was our favorite festival of the year at Epcot. Lots of great food and drink special options like any festival. My wife really likes the art stands and activities which we found to be very unique compared to the other festivals. For us there was all the great parts of an Epcot festival but a little more unique and lot less crowded than the Food & Wine and Flower & Garden.

During that week the temps usually averaged around 65 in the morning and some days it got up in the mid to high 70's so we had at least one pool day each January trip. The pools are heated and we were coming from the either MI or PA so the temps down in central Florida felt nice and warm to us. You may experience colder temps on your trip but I wouldn't rule out a pool day completely unless you need 85 degrees or higher to swim.

We have been to WDW pretty much in every season of the year but that week leading up to MLK weekend is our absolute favorite time of the year as far as temps and crowds.

Of all our trips, the two I said never again on was Presidents Day weekend and spring break, so I guess my vote would be for MLK weekend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter