MLK weekend... Help... do we need to change our plans?? BIG CROWDS??

pjlla

DIS Veteran
Okay, I must admit that when we picked this week, rather randomly, we didn't realize it was MLK. Wish we could change it but we bought non-refundable airfare. SO HELP.... I have been reading that that Monday the parks are REALLY crowded. Yuck... we go in January to avoid that!! So anyhow, before I go change my PS (if I even can at this late date)... does any one have any firsthand experience with this weekend? Is that Monday really bad? I read on another thread that there is a soccer tourney in town that weekend and all the players will be decending upon the parks on Monday. We have a day off planned for Tuesday and Monday was to be our MGM day. If I can change my PS for Fantasmic DP, should I switch those two days? But it will mean a break early in our week, rather than midweek. HELP PLEASE!!! Let me hear from you if you have experienced this weekend at the WORLD......P:confused:

Yes, it can be busy, but only for the long weekend. By Tuesday, everything will be back to "January normal"...in other words, no crowds.

If you have an off-day scheduled for Tuesday, then yes, I personally would move it to Monday.

For the weekend, we are planning a few non-park things to do.

For example, on Saturday we are going to do MGM with the EMH, then heading back to AKL for the remainder of the day and dinner at Boma. Since Saturday is the only night for Spectro - avoid MK (unless of course you haven't seen this parade - then you have some decisions to make).

On Sunday we are planning a late arrival to AK and will stay through the parade, then back to AKL, with the kids going to Simba's Cubhouse, and DH and I having some free time.

On Monday we are heading over to Downtown Disney for the morning and then going to Epcot late afternoon for a PS at Akershus and Illuminations. For some reason Epcot doesn't feel as crowded, even if it is!

We will be going to the parks on the Thursday and Friday before, and the Tuesday and Wednesday after so there is no point to fight the crowds on the weekend!

Have fun! Are you ging to wear a lime green ribbon? I'll say hi!

I'm glad you asked that. We're going that same weekend and I was wondering about the crowds! Does anyone know if it's as bad as presidents day? :D

This is our CURRENT plan..... let me know if you think it is do-able.....

Saturday: AK from open to close, then hop over to MK for SpectroMagic.

Sunday: SeaWorld and Dinner with Shamu (already changed reservations once!)

Monday: MGM with FDP.

Tuesday: DTD, Blizzard Beach

Wednesday: MK (have early res for CRT)

Thursday: Epcot

Friday: MK (dinner res for Chef Mickey)

We could change it to Monday day off, but we would lose our FDP reservation... could we get another one for Tuesday at this late date?? And then we could do Tuesday at MGM and possibly hop again to see Spectro again?? We definitely want to end our week on Friday at the MK and we MUST not miss our CRT on Wednesday. I also want to avoid the parks on their early open day, as we are off-site. BOY OH BOY..... I thought I had the perfect plan!! BOO-HOO:(

I think your plan will work out fine. I plan to go and expect large crowds - that way we won't be disappointed. That's what we did in October and it turned out not as crowded as we had anticipated. It was a pleasant surprise. You can always be flexable enough when you get there that you change things around if need be. :D

We are going MLK weekend also. Are there large crowds from Friday-Monday or just over the weekend????

Also are their E nights scheduled in January???

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :confused: :Pinkbounc

My DH and i just planned an impromptu trip for that weekend also...gotta use those PAPs, you know! ;) I'm not really worried about the crowds...we've been in October/November (Jersey Week) and May (Mother's Day), and I'm sure it won't be nearly as crowded as either of these times! I'm just hoping that it won't be too cold...I'd like to swim a bit while I'm there! :cool:

We're staying at Pop Century...:bounce:
See ya there! :wave:

IVY

I know it has been discussed before but - we have always lucked out in Jan. and do get in some swimming!

Everyone cross your fingers for beautiful weather!

Yes Harambe, we also like to swim if we can in January, but considering that we both live "north of Boston", 65 degrees probably looks like swimming weather to us in January!!:p :p

We went last January and we thought it was freezing - but there were people in the pool! (We figured they weren't locals!;) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter