modern day garage sale villas

..another thing we all need to keep in mind, is these are 'our' properties, and since we have to pay for repairs, cleaning, etc., it would serve us well to treat the rooms and furnishings as well as we do at home. So much damage is caused by carelessness or uncaring actions by the guests. There was no reason for me to see a big gouge in the arm of a chair at VGC only a couple months after opening. People..please be careful and expect your kids to respect the property as well.

Yes this is definitley a good perspective of things rather than hashing back and forth. If people own and place pride in their ownership than care of the villas should be taken to allow the next guest pleasure

Buying into DVC is a quid pro quo: something for something. Yes, buyers pay a large sum of money up front. But in return they get decades of vacations for pennies on the dollar.

The numbers I have run show savings of 65-75% off rack rates for as much as as 50 years. THAT is your "discount" or "special."

There's no sign of loyalty in a DVC purchase. There are cash guests--not DVC owners--who have been making annual trips for years staying anywhere from a Value resort to Deluxe. Some locals visit the parks 2-3 times per week, spending money on their passes, food and more. DVC members are no more "loyal" than others.

When Disney offers "free dining" to cash guests, those people are paying $400+ per night for Deluxe accommodations and free meals. I can guarantee that using DVC points for a stay and buying a dining plan will cost less than any "free dining" offer. And Disney promos of 20-30% off rack pale in comparison to the long-term DVC savings.

Perks and benefits are nice. But they will only be offered when Disney determines it has something to gain--could be more DVC point sales, higher merchandise sales at the parks, etc.

But if your expectation is to be treated like the most valued Disney guest of all, I think you're in for some disappointment.

I guess my point is if I did not own DVC now I probably would not go to Disney quite as often. Thus they would not get the 3300+ dollars a year on the dining plan I pay. The 1500+ dollars a year on tickets. The 1000 dollars extra on souviners etc. I know there are people who go and do not eat at Disney and use the kitchen and all different spending levels but people going to Disney staying DVC definitley have the potential to spend or not.We have stayed all levels of accomodations before becoming members. So maybe it is not the level of resort maybe this is an entirley different situation maybe its just things have changed a lot over the years period.

People pay 100.00 a point for what they see as security in the company and the fact that anyone can get financed going direct thats plain to see.

People aren't paying $100 a point for security in the company. If they think that's what they're buying, they're thoroughly mistaken. They're buying a real estate interest in a resort, and signing a contract to share in the costs of upkeep and operation of that resort, in return for the right to stay at that resort, subject to availability, for the duration of the contract.

I see the perks dont last neither do sales or discounts or special offerings to the customers but they keep getting them.

This really is comparing apples and oranges. The perks we get are negotiated by DVD with other divisions of the Disney company, like Disney Parks, or with outside companies, like some of the DTD stores and restaurants. These companies and divisions don't give us these discounts as a reward for loyalty, or because they like us, or because we gave DVD a lot of money. Disney Parks doesn't give a rat's backside that I gave DVD $10K back in 2001, they didn't see any of that money.

They give us the discounts because it benefits their bottom line to do so.

Disney Parks decided to give us an AP discount because their research showed that DVC members are likely to come to the parks more often and spend more money if we got a discount on an AP. When and if that's no longer true, the AP discount will go away. Companies give discounts because they think it'll entice you to spend MORE money, not less.

Those discounts and special offerings you see the cash customers getting aren't gifts. They're bait.

People aren't paying $100 a point for security in the company. If they think that's what they're buying, they're thoroughly mistaken. They're buying a real estate interest in a resort, and signing a contract to share in the costs of upkeep and operation of that resort, in return for the right to stay at that resort, subject to availability, for the duration of the contract.

This really is comparing apples and oranges. The perks we get are negotiated by DVD with other divisions of the Disney company, like Disney Parks, or with outside companies, like some of the DTD stores and restaurants. These companies and divisions don't give us these discounts as a reward for loyalty, or because they like us, or because we gave DVD a lot of money. Disney Parks doesn't give a rat's backside that I gave DVD $10K back in 2001, they didn't see any of that money.

Disney Parks decided to give us an AP discount because their research showed that DVC members are likely to come to the parks more often and spend more money if we got a discount on an AP. When and if that's no longer true, the AP discount will go away. Companies give discounts because they think it'll entice you to spend MORE money, not less.

Those discounts and special offerings you see the cash customers getting aren't gifts. They're bait.

I did pay 100.00 a point and yes it was to buy direct from all the talk of restrictions being a possibility I did it to secure that this would not be us after we paid all our money and to insure we arent closed out of anything. Now I know that someone will say that is not for definite but its a better chance they will make it more attractive to buy direct or people will always buy secondhand. Just my thought but who can tell what the future holds for sure. I learn something everyday thanks for your informative post as it makes good sense and gives a better perspective of where the DVC intent is. I do think that DVC or Disney cares that I am DVC and give 10,000 a year eveery time I come there on top of paying for DVC, not just back in 2001 before we owned. Oh the discounts cash people get are bait for sure or many would not spend that kind of money. There are still people I know who have sticker shock at the cash prices.We took a family member and they went just once and said never again would they spend the extortion that it cost their family to go and that was with their accomodations paid for.

Thanks for the info on the refurb.
Do you remember how long ago the VWL soft goods refurb was?
I am trying to remember if our last trip was before or after that.
I just remember thinking that the stuff there (soft goods) were looking rather tired and that they needed to be changed...
It's good to know that a refurb is coming up soon.

It's been a few years. I'm thinking around 2007, maybe.

I guess my point is if I did not own DVC now I probably would not go to Disney quite as often. Thus they would not get the 3300+ dollars a year on the dining plan I pay. The 1500+ dollars a year on tickets. The 1000 dollars extra on souviners etc. I know there are people who go and do not eat at Disney and use the kitchen and all different spending levels but people going to Disney staying DVC definitley have the potential to spend or not.We have stayed all levels of accomodations before becoming members. So maybe it is not the level of resort maybe this is an entirley different situation maybe its just things have changed a lot over the years period.

And from Disney's perspective, they've given you 65-75% off hotel rates, the best AP price available, access to Tables in Wonderland, 10% merchandise discount, discounts at select restaurants, discounts on most recreation.

When is enough, enough?

I could be missing it though. when someone goes to say wilderness lodge they are off to the side away from the action and fun pool and the main theming just one example.

You realize that VWL (DVC) was built "after" WL correct? Same with BCV at the BC. To "add on" those resorts, they would need to fill in both main pools and build the structures over them to be "in the middle of the action". Unless you can explain where you would have had them built.

It's been a few years. I'm thinking around 2007, maybe.

It was late 2008 and might have spilled over into early 2009 for VWL.

I wonder if there is some reasoning that when staying dvc the rooms look like a modern day garage sale meaning the soft goods in the rooms but the regular cash base customer rooms are all nice and fresh looking? Not to mention the villas are always set to be off to the side of the resort and the big awe of the resorts kind of like step children to the resorts?

I missed it if anyone mentioned in this thread but the report of the new bedding changes happening to all the DVC units will give a much more modern, updated appearance to the rooms and is like what is used on the hotel side.

I did pay 100.00 a point and yes it was to buy direct from all the talk of restrictions being a possibility I did it to secure that this would not be us after we paid all our money and to insure we arent closed out of anything. ....
All you are guaranteed is a stay at your home resort. That's it.

It was late 2008 and might have spilled over into early 2009 for VWL.

I missed it if anyone mentioned in this thread but the report of the new bedding changes happening to all the DVC units will give a much more modern, updated appearance to the rooms and is like what is used on the hotel side.

Thanks!
We stayed there in early 2008 so I must've had the older unit.
And next year we're staying there again at the end of the soft goods life :rotfl2:
I should've gone sooner... HAHA!

All you are guaranteed is a stay at your home resort. That's it.

Than please explain the transportation that I am told we pay for with our fees. I understand that there is no agreement for perks of course those are chosen at the businesses discretion for the good of their business not for the consumer as I am understanding it to be explained. I hope that if I ever own a business I am one that is customer oriented to meet their needs and wants. DVC has a lot of good things.. I repeat I like my DVC just not every aspect in the details... somehow people overlook this part of what I am saying. I am just saying who would not want to improve if it is possible?

Than please explain the transportation that I am told we pay for with our fees. I understand that there is no agreement for perks of course those are chosen at the businesses discretion for the good of their business not for the consumer as I am understanding it to be explained. I hope that if I ever own a business I am one that is customer oriented to meet their needs and wants. DVC has a lot of good things.. I repeat I like my DVC just not every aspect in the details... somehow people overlook this part of what I am saying. I am just saying who would not want to improve if it is possible?

They could decide to eliminate transportation to the parks. No buses, boats or monorails. They could remove the theme parks. Then you have a timeshare with no attractions.

They could decide to eliminate transportation to the parks. No buses, boats or monorails. They could remove the theme parks. Then you have a timeshare with no attractions.

You are so correct but I wonder how many would sell than? maybe some would like it that way this is what makes us all different.

I hope that if I ever own a business I am one that is customer oriented to meet their needs and wants.

First thing you'll learn as a business owner is that customer needs and wants are limitless and you don't have the resources necessary to make them all reality.

I am just saying who would not want to improve if it is possible?

Well, if you're talking about improving things like room decor and transportation, those decisions all cost money.

Go dig up discussions about the recent dues increases. Some owners are lining up with their torches and pitchforks over a 5-6% increase. Don't just assume that owners would be thrilled with yet another big hike to pay for more frequent room renovations and bus arrivals.

That PAP worked out real well for Disney. My daughter has been buy a ton of cloths, purses, bags, pins etc. she thinks it's so great getting 20% off that she is buying more than she normally would.

Next year I'm hoping there won't be a discounted PAP :sad2:

That PAP worked out real well for Disney. My daughter has been buy a ton of cloths, purses, bags, pins etc. she thinks it's so great getting 20% off that she is buying more than she normally would.

Next year I'm hoping there won't be a discounted PAP :sad2:
Doug, you are too funny and probably a big softie where that daughter is concerned, LOL!

But no need to wish for an end of the discounted PAP - start smaller. Just wish for an end to the 20% discount! :teeth:

Doug, you are too funny and probably a big softie where that daughter is concerned, LOL!

But no need to wish for an end of the discounted PAP - start smaller. Just wish for an end to the 20% discount! :teeth:

If we are wishing, I'd wish that DLR discounts on APs existed..we get $20 off an AP (whoopppeee) and nothing at all on renewals.

I think some of the details you're concerned about like frequency of housekeeping and frequency of room renovations are inherent in the way DVC is financially structured.

So, I guess the question is...would you be willing to have your dues increased by, say, 30% (wild guess) to pay for more frequent room renovations, and full daily housekeeping for all?

As for the transportation system..yes, we do contribute to the cost of that via our MFs. But - there is nothing in our contracts that prevents WDW from eliminating the transportation system. We provide some of the funding, but we have no say in whether the system continues to exist.

Sure, I want better linens, duvets, high end shampoos & body lotions, yearly refurbishments, daily mousekeeping but I'm not willing to pay additional dues. I purchased DVC with the full understanding that it was and please forgive my use of the dirty word a "Timeshare"! Timeshares, contrary to the constant/continual refurbishment of hotel and inn rooms, are scheduled and paid for by dues. I don't understand your term of "Garage Sale" as I've never encountered a villa to which I would equate the term, actually quite to the contrary I've enjoyed clean and well appointed accommodations. Were the villa's perfect, no but I've had Marriott and Hilton rooms that weren't perfect either.

DVC has met and even superseded my realistic expectations of the Disney timeshare.

I am not sure what OP is driving at here. But my MF's are high enough as they are. I would not want them raised to get more housekeeping or other perks. I knew that part of vacation ownership is you have to make some concessions when you buy in. As far as the garage sell part, that part has gone completely over my head. I think the decor of the units is fine and I do expect to see some wear and tear and even some outmoded decor because it is us that will pay for any improvements.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter