Mom alone with two small kids, how doable?

camouseketeer

DIS Veteran
My kids, DD4 and DD3, have been to DLR many times, but we've always gone with DH and/or the grandparents. I'd like to go October 19-21, but if I went it would just be the kids and me. How doable is this?

PROS:
I have a double stroller, which the kids don't mind riding in.
We'd get there early each day and only stay until crowds or tempers get too big.
We've been there a lot and don't need to do "everything."

CONS:
We're not staying close by (about 20 minutes away.)
They're young!
They outnumber me!

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

camouseketeer said:
My kids, DD4 and DD3, have been to DLR many times, but we've always gone with DH and/or the grandparents. I'd like to go October 19-21, but if I went it would just be the kids and me. How doable is this?

PROS:
I have a double stroller, which the kids don't mind riding in.
We'd get there early each day and only stay until crowds or tempers get too big.
We've been there a lot and don't need to do "everything."

CONS:
We're not staying close by (about 20 minutes away.)
They're young!
They outnumber me!

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

I think it depends on your children and only you know how they are. I think it would be doable. If you plan on staying in Fantasyland most of the time, unless they can do the other, bigger rides. I could only see a problem if they weren't potty trained, but then again even having to change 1 diaper is a hassle.

edit- I read it wrong the first time.

I would try it. Going in knowing you can't do everything will really be helpful. Take it slow, let the kids set the pace. You'll be fine.

I would definitely say it should be doable - especially if you have been there a lot and you and them have an idea of what it is like. The only thing that I might say would be a minor concern (and you know you and your kids best), would be if you are going to go on the "family" rides, Small World, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc., are you going to be able to get them on and off the rides with just you??? Again definitely doable, and you know best. I'm sure you can have a blast in Fantasyland and Toon Town, Winnie the Pooh - and some kiddie rides in DCA if you have hoppers.

I go all the time by myself with a 10 month old (started at 2 months), a 3 year old (who was two at the time) and a 5 year old! We have a great time, we use the double stroller and it is absolutely do-able. We also go alot, often times with a friend who has two 4 year olds and a 2 year old. So it's usually just the two of us with all 6 kids 5 and under! We have a blast.

It definitely helps to stay close so you don't have to fold up strollers and everything in them pl;us watch the kids. We only stay onsite or walking distance anymore just because I hardly ever have any help. DH went in June, but he has only been on 1 of my last 6 trips!

Remember, most rides there are built to fit all three of you, they might outnumber you, but they don't outnumber your arms/hands because you have two. The stroller helps, my kids are pretty easygoing and will nap there, maybe yours will too!

Good luck, go and have a great time. We will be getting there the 22nd for Mickey's Halloween Treat so we will just miss you.

Andrea

Forgot to add and you may already do this, but we have a rule! When one person goes to the bathroom, we all go. It cuts down on bathroom stops a lot that way!!!

Also use fastpass and you won't have to wait very long so that helps. Also I like to eat more at table service restaurants when I do it alone so someone serves me. Buffet lines with all three and the stroller and tray can get hard. Storyteller's is a fave, so is Carnation Cafe!

Andrea

if you are a worrier like me ;) :worried: ,maybe as an extra, extra, extra precaution you could attach your information(hotel, cell #, names etc) to each child just in case in that split second they get lost in a crowd.
the best things are those little coloured information tags that you get to attatch onto key's/key rings. they can be bought at any key cutting place.
put them on the childs belt loop or zipper.
i'm going to do this next time we go to DL, mainly for my own peace of mind. :)

I've done it lots of times, with my youngest being as young as 7 months old. My kids are 21 months apart. I would wear the baby most of the time while in line and had both hands free. Walk to and from the trams so I didn't have to deal with the monster double stroller on the trams. It's definitely doable!

Just got back from a 28 day vacation in florida with 10 days at wdw. I was alone with my 3 kids for 3 of the weeks. My ds9 was no help at all. Infact I felt it would have been easier for me to be alone with the little ones. Just keep in mind you can't be in a rush for anything. Do what they want. I didn't worry about anything and just had fun. We would do lots of stuff in the morning and take a break in the pm and then go back out in the evening. You are a mom you can do it. I figured I am alone with the kids all the time anyways while my dh works so why not go to the mutherland. Good Luck. You can do it!!! Just don't expect alot and you will have a blast.

I agree that it depends on the children. Their temperaments, how well-behaved they are, and how well they mind you. :)

I think it would be doable with my DS6 and DS2, but not very enjoyable for me, and I would be exhausted. DS2 is very busy, a little Houdini who loves to 'escape', and BECAUSE HE'S TWO, a bit defiant at the moment. :teeth:

Your youngest is a bit older and perhaps more helpful, and I think that would make all the difference. Plus you said you have been before and won't feel like you have to do it all. I think your plan (going early and leaving when the crowds pick up or kids get tired) is a good one. Good luck!

;)
Alex2kMommy said:
DS2 is very busy, a little Houdini who loves to 'escape', and BECAUSE HE'S TWO, a bit defiant at the moment. :teeth:

With both our kids we found that 2 wasn't as bad as 3. One of my coworkers warned me that her DD was just as defiant at 3 as she was at 2...only with a better vocabulary! :crazy: :furious:

Back to the original question, I don't think I would try it, and I'd bet DW wouldn't either. We had a WDW vacation back in the fall of 2004. My folks went with us, and even with 2:1 adult to kid ratio, DS and DD wore us out. (DD was 4 1/2 at the time and DS was almost 3) Still, as others have said, every kid is different as is every parent. If you feel you can handle it, then go for it. Who knows, it could be one of the greatest memories your kids will have. OTOH, it could be a disaster of epic proportions. ;)

Captjackson said:
;)

With both our kids we found that 2 wasn't as bad as 3. One of my coworkers warned me that her DD was just as defiant at 3 as she was at 2...only with a better vocabulary! :crazy: :furious:
You're right, my older son didn't really get out of the Terrible Twos until about 3.5! :rotfl:

I say go for it!!!!! I would suggest the same thing another person said and that is ID on your child is a must. I made ID's for each of our 5 kids when we went last Oct. Even my 14 year old had one. I had my own copy with me. I put the parents name, address, phone and cell phone( esp.since we had those on us)on my copy. I also included the kids picture (small circle) with their name, hair color, eye color, age and favorite DL character (on theirs for the last one). And most important was their right thumb print. You can do this simple on your computer and then print it. For the kids, I bought the self-adhesive tags for your luggage (they already have the hole at one end). For my big kids, they could wear theirs around their neck but the little ones I made them a harness. It was the same stuff they make those expensive harnesses out of but bought at a fabric store. It had a closure the kids could not undo. Then I attached a long strap to it with a loop at the end so I could put my hand through it. I also attached their ID to the side of the strap.
This is an awesome way to keep track of your kids and know that if lost your kid has ID on them. It also gave them the freedom to be beside me without always having to hold my hand.
Have a great trip!

I have to agree with everyone. You know your kids best and their interests, and what would be better suited for you ride wise and entertainment wise. You will have to go in knowing that you cant see everything, but keep in mind that you are doing something as a family together, which they will appreciate. Theres nothing better then watching your little ones have the time of their life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter