Moonlight Magic is BACK!

Curious as I heard a lot of horror stories on the DVC Fan FB group...
Yup, looks like a LOT of people had trouble making reservations and missed out due to being on hold with MS, who cheerfully told them the problem was solved, but that it was too late and reservations were closed.

I don't think the intention is that you don't qualify if you are booked with resale points. That isn't the way the Moonlight Magic page reads and some people obviously were able to book and had a reservation using resale points. I'm curious how many people with a single membership number (all points under 1 account) and reservation using resale points were able to book MM. I think this should work - but want to verify.

The qualification is that you qualify for Membership Perks (Blue Card) and are staying on site. There is logic in saying that Disney didn't make money off of you, but if you qualify for Membership Perks they did make money off of you (or you're grandfathered in) and I suspect Disney isn't putting in the effort for this extra logic (too complicated for them).

I think the majority of people having issues is because of having multiple membership numbers and people have some memberships with only resale points - it makes sense to me that Disney isn't linking those memberships (or checking for the linkage) so the system knows you qualify for membership perks - and it probably is super low on the priority list of things to fix not to mention Disney IT isn't known for their skill, I mean the DVC website doesn't work right in many cases. :)

Although one person on DVC Fan said they tried multiple membership numbers and the membership number with only resale points worked to get a MM reservation - so clearly there are issues :)

It seems like Disney is doing whatever they can to discourage people from buying resale. It doesn't matter if you've already spent a small fortune buying direct contracts. If you are using resale points, they want to make it as painful as possible. Or, Disney IT is incompetent and they just can't create a software that can handle the varying types of direct and resale contracts and memberships. I believe both are at play.
From what I read today, it included people who booked DVC rooms using direct points, and DVC members who had cash reservations too. And people didn't know it would refuse them until after they had waited in the queue. By then waiting to talk to MS ran them past the reservation window closing. Believe me, there are already dozens of "maybe it's because" posts over there already, but one theme: once they got through to MS, MS admitted it was a glitch but didn't offer to do anything about it. Plus, a ton of people who DID book using resale points DID get their reservations.

I think the majority of people having issues is because of having multiple membership numbers and people have some memberships with only resale points - it makes sense to me that Disney isn't linking those memberships (or checking for the linkage) so the system knows you qualify for membership perks - and it probably is super low on the priority list of things to fix not to mention Disney IT isn't known for their skill, I mean the DVC website doesn't work right in many cases. :)
It's the same BS as the Y vs ND fiasco.

How would this work with transferred points? Are they eligible if they were originally direct?

If you have an eligible membership, you can go. If you don’t, it doesn’t matter if you have transferred points as that doesn’t change the status of the membership.

Can we make a thread for the Epcot events? I'm happy to do it! I just wasnt sure if its "allowed"

As Ralphie said...."oh...fudge". Quick cautionary tale. I only owned resale. Wanted to go to second MM at EPCOT as we will be there. So decided to buy 150 points direct and sell a resale contract. I bought the direct points and was told I was all set to register for MM. On registration morning, I had 4 devices logged into the link and got to the screen in plenty of time to register. Only Disney had not changed my membership number to include the direct purchase. It said "ineligible". Long story short I got shut out (not the end of the world) and subsequently cancelled the direct purchase (by law you have 10 days). Can't wait to hear how the post-covid MM compares. We have another trip planned for Sept when a HS MM is scheduled, so if the reviews are good I will probably repurchase and try to go then. Cheers to everyone that got in. I hope it is a fantastic night!

Am I understanding that you had to be a blue card member to book first? That strictly White card members were not allowed? I am not following why some were denied a reservation.

Am I understanding that you had to be a blue card member to book first? That strictly White card members were not allowed? I am not following why some were denied a reservation.
All member benefits are limited to Direct point members.

If you have a confirmed reservation for moonlight magic can you modify your dvc stay to a different resort if a room comes up at a different resort or would it affect the reservation? I’m assuming it wouldn’t because you are not cancelling your room reservation and the number stays the same if you modify to another resort

As Ralphie said...."oh...fudge". Quick cautionary tale. I only owned resale. Wanted to go to second MM at EPCOT as we will be there. So decided to buy 150 points direct and sell a resale contract. I bought the direct points and was told I was all set to register for MM. On registration morning, I had 4 devices logged into the link and got to the screen in plenty of time to register. Only Disney had not changed my membership number to include the direct purchase. It said "ineligible". Long story short I got shut out (not the end of the world) and subsequently cancelled the direct purchase (by law you have 10 days). Can't wait to hear how the post-covid MM compares. We have another trip planned for Sept when a HS MM is scheduled, so if the reviews are good I will probably repurchase and try to go then. Cheers to everyone that got in. I hope it is a fantastic night!
Oh my. You have been through a lot, and I’m sorry you didn’t get in. Rather than go though it all again, I would probably buy the direct membership ahead of any reports, and thus be ready when DVC announces something I wanted to do again. You could have tried on March 8th and been successful.

Maybe this was answered previously, but I didn't see it as I skimmed the previous 354 posts.
We will be there for the July AK Moonlight Magic date and want to register. Since we missed the early registration date, the website mentions registering on March 8th, but it didn't seem clear as to whether you could register for all the dates at that time or not.
When I click on that park for more information, it says the following...

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park
  • Event Dates: July 26, 2022, August 31, 2022 and September 28, 2022
  • Registration Window: Please check back for information about when to register.
Any ideas?

Maybe this was answered previously, but I didn't see it as I skimmed the previous 354 posts.
We will be there for the July AK Moonlight Magic date and want to register. Since we missed the early registration date, the website mentions registering on March 8th, but it didn't seem clear as to whether you could register for all the dates at that time or not.
When I click on that park for more information, it says the following...

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park
  • Event Dates: July 26, 2022, August 31, 2022 and September 28, 2022
  • Registration Window: Please check back for information about when to register.
Any ideas?
This first registration was ONLY for the Epcot MM events. There will be a separate registration period for the DAK MM Events and those dates will be announced later.

The number of people who had issues was shocking and now I'm worried :) Was it primarily people who have multiple membership numbers and had their reservation on a membership number that only had resale points?

From what I saw those were the only members who had issues. You should be fine if it works the same as it did for the Epcot reservations.

If you don't have another reason for needing new points then I think you were saved by that "issue". A $30K purchase for one evening that at best is worth $50 per person? Ok - lets say $200 per person since Disney keeps upping the price of their own evening parties but these Moonlight Magic events are not the same. What they are like is what conventions or other groups could pay for a section of the park back in the day. I know for a fact that if I didn't have direct points I'd simply pay Disney for an evening event in the parks. I'm not sneezing at the fact the DVD does these - it's enjoyable - but it is not worthy of a full blown direct purchase.

Can someone tell me about the AK Moonlight Magic event? We are thinking of moving our trip up one day to participate. We are blue card owners, so we will be able to register early, if I'm understanding correctly. Here are some other questions I have:
1. Will the registration open sometime in June for the September 28 date?
2. What time is the event?
3. We will not have park tickets. Can we still attend the party?
4. What attractions will be open at AK?
Thanks for any information you can give!

I think this is ridiculous… any DIRECT member should have been allowed to book early if they had a resort reservation - that includes using direct points, resale points, transfer points, rented points, or cash. I mean goodness…. Can’t we all just get along? It’s bad enough Disney has created a class system between resale members and direct members but these people all had at least one direct membership through Disney! This whole situation is just mind boggling to me. I just don’t get it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter