• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Moonlight Magic - Question, Never Been

js

Been around since before the disboards 90s crash
Hi.
I was able to get our MM tickets for February 8 for Epcot.
We have never been before and asking those that have been, what is your strategy when there?

I saw a video, or read last night, that we should focus more on the extras than the attractions since, as DVC,
we are there often, will be back, and have probably been on most attractions that week anyway...for us, this would be true.

So, if I'm not focused on the attractions (I'll still want Soarin and Rat, but thinking I'll sit out GoG..although not so sure yet about that),
what exactly will I want to do?

We have 8 pm ressies at Crepe place, which we enjoy (I'm going with my mom) and figure after dinner, we will just sit in WS with a drink and watch the people
leave and relax.

Any suggestions?
Thank you.

My group didn't want to do a lot of rides. Our plan was to meet characters who normally aren't available. But it didn't work well for us. We didn't realize that some of the special characters actually started meeting before the official MM opening time, so they had long lines by the time we got there. Others didn't start until the official MM opening time, and we got there early and waited a long time in one of those lines. I don't know what happened with the line to meet Peter and Gamora from Guardians of the Galaxy, but we were in line -- not moving -- for ages. It felt like they took a break of at least 30 minutes. Then Gamora was nasty to me. I don't know how her take on that character came about, but it really ruined my mood.

The food and drink situation wasn't clear. My friend found out toward the end of the night that we were allowed to get free fountain drinks all night in a quick service restaurant. Cast members were standing around outside with boxes of Mickey Bars, but you never knew where they were going to be. We received coupons for a meal, but it wasn't clear what, exactly, was supposed to be included with the coupon.

Oh, and we were supposed to be able to pick up the wristbands in Epcot, but nobody knew where.

So sort of a mess if you're used to being able to plan things out well.

But the fireworks were amazing. Best I've ever seen.

And we did have a great interaction with some of the characters.

My recollection is vague, but it seems like most of World Showcase was not open. I don't think you could sit with a drink in World Showcase and people watch, unless you were in the part near Future World.

This was around 2018, I think. I'm sure you'll get a better report from someone who did them after this.

Last year they were passing out free DVC popcorn buckets. Lines got longer as the night went on. The consensus was that you were better off swinging by one of the distribution spots early to claim the bucket. Same is true of using the snack vouchers. Smaller carts will see lines grow as people get hungry or realize they're running out of time.

As for characters, popularity will depend on who is out. Impossible to know how long of a line you'll be facing at the start. But again, I would expect lines to grow as the night progresses.

Many people WILL be interested in attractions, and will gravitate toward that first. IMO, you're better off taking care of the other things first, and then squeeze in a few rides as time permits.

My group didn't want to do a lot of rides. Our plan was to meet characters who normally aren't available. But it didn't work well for us. We didn't realize that some of the special characters actually started meeting before the official MM opening time, so they had long lines by the time we got there. Others didn't start until the official MM opening time, and we got there early and waited a long time in one of those lines. I don't know what happened with the line to meet Peter and Gamora from Guardians of the Galaxy, but we were in line -- not moving -- for ages. It felt like they took a break of at least 30 minutes. Then Gamora was nasty to me. I don't know how her take on that character came about, but it really ruined my mood.

The food and drink situation wasn't clear. My friend found out toward the end of the night that we were allowed to get free fountain drinks all night in a quick service restaurant. Cast members were standing around outside with boxes of Mickey Bars, but you never knew where they were going to be. We received coupons for a meal, but it wasn't clear what, exactly, was supposed to be included with the coupon.

Oh, and we were supposed to be able to pick up the wristbands in Epcot, but nobody knew where.

So sort of a mess if you're used to being able to plan things out well.

But the fireworks were amazing. Best I've ever seen.

And we did have a great interaction with some of the characters.

My recollection is vague, but it seems like most of World Showcase was not open. I don't think you could sit with a drink in World Showcase and people watch, unless you were in the part near Future World.

This was around 2018, I think. I'm sure you'll get a better report from someone who did them after this.
Thank you.
I slightly remember reading about a mess of MM and what you mention.
My ADR is at 8 pm, so Epcot will still be open and emptying out I'm guessing by 8:45 pm/9:00 pm (not sure when fireworks start) so I'm pretty confident we can get a drink and hang while the park starts to clear right before/after fireworks. Yikes, I wonder if I can get a drink during MM? Does anyone know that answer?

Last year they were passing out free DVC popcorn buckets. Lines got longer as the night went on. The consensus was that you were better off swinging by one of the distribution spots early to claim the bucket. Same is true of using the snack vouchers. Smaller carts will see lines grow as people get hungry or realize they're running out of time.

Above is very helpful! Thank you so much for this information!
As for characters, popularity will depend on who is out. Impossible to know how long of a line you'll be facing at the start. But again, I would expect lines to grow as the night progresses.

Many people WILL be interested in attractions, and will gravitate toward that first. IMO, you're better off taking care of the other things first, and then squeeze in a few rides as time permits.
I'm really not interested in the characters. I'm really not interested in I guess too much of it but I just want to go since something new to me, not out of pocket expense and for DVC members. Thank you very much again!

Yikes, I wonder if I can get a drink during MM? Does anyone know that answer?
That's a good question.

This is a description of the 2019 MM at Epcot. It doesn't talk about alcohol.

Other vouchers [other than the voucher for the popcorn bucket] could be used before 9pm to get select food items at participating Festival Outdoor Kitchens. You can also use a voucher for a side at a quick-service restaurant, but not for a full meal.

During the event, Sunshine Seasons had a limited menu for food until 11pm, and Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe was open. There was a specialty Pluto cake available at Sunshine Seasons, but we didn’t have time to check it out.

https://blogmickey.com/epcot-moonlight-magic-review-2022/

It is quicker to join the walk up line or wait in line for Nomads to open.
I usually just stand and wait for them to start taking names to sit outside.

Thank you.

That's a good question.

This is a description of the 2019 MM at Epcot. It doesn't talk about alcohol.

Other vouchers [other than the voucher for the popcorn bucket] could be used before 9pm to get select food items at participating Festival Outdoor Kitchens. You can also use a voucher for a side at a quick-service restaurant, but not for a full meal.

During the event, Sunshine Seasons had a limited menu for food until 11pm, and Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe was open. There was a specialty Pluto cake available at Sunshine Seasons, but we didn’t have time to check it out.

https://blogmickey.com/epcot-moonlight-magic-review-2022/
Thank you SO much! I'm guessing (well hoping) that we will have a list of food places that are open.
Do you think this is correct? I better go to my D3 FB group and ask about the drinking part, if any, of MM.
Thank you.

Do we think all rides will be open for Moonlight Magic?
These rides were open for the 2022 event:
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Journey Into Imagination with Figment
  • Test Track
  • Soarin’ Around the World
  • Living with the Land
  • Gran Fiesta Tour
  • Frozen Ever After
  • Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure
There is no official confirmation yet from DVC if Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind will be open.

At the 2022 Epcot MM, we were able to use our food vouchers at the festival booths, so we went in early (before the official event started) to eat. The third voucher you could use for a snack credit or a MM popcorn bucket. The vouchers were accepted at most, but not all festival booths.

Then we hit up rides when the event started and the wait times went down.

We went in 2022. Check in was at the far left of the Epcot entrance, We each got 3 vouchers, 1 for popcorn, 2 for food. Food choices were minimal, more of snacks than actual meals. we ended up at Sunshine Seasons for that. Popcorn bucket line was pretty short, maybe 5-6 people in front of us. Longer lines for Mickey bars later in the evening. We weren't interested in characters-lines were long and they were still doing the "distancing" greets. After 10 PM lines for rides were short, we walked on Soarin' and Test Track - Rat had a bit of a wait. Funny thing was World Showcase was closed between Norway and France so to get to Ratatouille you had to go around the other way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter