(More) Alcohol Coming to MK

Dislike. Seriously - can't you have a family vacation (and sorry, while many adults love WDW and go on their own, it was originally created for families, so they should be the primary concern) without alcohol? At least within the theme park? I like that MK didn't serve alcohol, since that park especially is focused on children. And yes, we drink. But no, we don't feel it's necessary to have a drink while at a theme park primarily designed for children to enjoy. Nor would we drink at one even if we were there without children. But once again, Disney proves it's about the money, not the original vision. While I'm sure many will just have a drink with dinner and that be it, we all know there's many that will take it further. We didn't appreciate seeing drunk people at WDW, kind of ruins that "child's fantasy world" vibe. That's one thing we both noticed and appreciated at the smaller parks we went to this summer - no alcohol served anywhere or permitted on property. But whatever, I know they'll never give up the cash flow and will only look for ways to expand it.

As others have said, this is more about WDW having procedures to deal with those few guests that are not responsible about their drinking. I really cannot understand why you object to me having a drink. I am a responsible adult. I will absolutely have a drink or two while I am in WDW. I am with my wife and daughter. Never have I acted or drank irresponsibly. While I do often vacation without alcohol, I would prefer a couple drinks when I am on vacation. That is the key point you seem to ignore - this is my vacation too.

As others have said, this is more about WDW having procedures to deal with those few guests that are not responsible about their drinking. I really cannot understand why you object to me having a drink. I am a responsible adult. I will absolutely have a drink or two while I am in WDW. I am with my wife and daughter. Never have I acted or drank irresponsibly. While I do often vacation without alcohol, I would prefer a couple drinks when I am on vacation. That is the key point you seem to ignore - this is my vacation too.

We enjoyed drinks on our vacation too - just outside of the theme park. But that said, yes I do agree with you that there is a huge difference between having a beer or a glass of wine with your meal, and having several drinks, or drinking the whole day. And no, I really don't think a drink with dinner is a big deal. The problem is however, while you are responsible, many others aren't. Like others have said - maybe if WDW was more responsible in cutting people off, it would be different. There honestly should be a limit - and I think they could easily set up a tracking system within the MB/card system: you have to scan your card or MB every time you purchase a drink. After x-amount, you're done, no more. Is that a perfect system? No, but it would be better than what they do now which is nothing. So, unless they're going to step up and do a better job of taking care of the irresponsible/inconsiderate ones, IMO, better to not have it at all.

Dislike. Seriously - can't you have a family vacation (and sorry, while many adults love WDW and go on their own, it was originally created for families, so they should be the primary concern) without alcohol? At least within the theme park? I like that MK didn't serve alcohol, since that park especially is focused on children. And yes, we drink. But no, we don't feel it's necessary to have a drink while at a theme park primarily designed for children to enjoy. Nor would we drink at one even if we were there without children. But once again, Disney proves it's about the money, not the original vision. While I'm sure many will just have a drink with dinner and that be it, we all know there's many that will take it further. We didn't appreciate seeing drunk people at WDW, kind of ruins that "child's fantasy world" vibe. That's one thing we both noticed and appreciated at the smaller parks we went to this summer - no alcohol served anywhere or permitted on property. But whatever, I know they'll never give up the cash flow and will only look for ways to expand it.

While you are seemingly stuck on Disney World making more money, what would Walt have done in this situation? He was a businessman and he wanted to make money.

As others have said, it's a vacation for many. A vacation away from work and responsibilities. So, if a drink is wanted, then a drink should be available. And, I hate to tell you, there have been drunken people at Magic Kingdom in the past. Do a monorail drinking tour, take in a water bottle that doesn't have water in it (read a trip report about that one).

My husband and I are in our mid 50s. Why shouldn't we be able to go to any park at Disney World and have a drink?

1) My personal opinion of booze at MK:
. . . Yipes
. . . Yuck
. . . Blech
. . . Wrong

2) Sure, there are lots of people who want to drink.
3) But, there are so many other places this can be done.
4) They say Walt is not spinning in his grave.
5) Yet, some are now referring to him as "Pinwheel Walt".

I agree.

I had 3 drinks at Epcot, over the course of 2 days. They ran me $8-$10 dollars each. Ouch.

Drinking around the World? Be ready to plunk down $100 or more.
Trust me....as someone who no longer drinks due to too many years of doing so.....it is quite easy to get Drunk at Disney, I used to budget it in. i would tell you how much, but i am afraid of the judgement ;) .....having done many "sober" trips to Disney since, i am amazed at what folks drop on just drinking alone. On my last trip i watched more thena few people buy a few rounds of drinks that totaled well over $300

1) My personal opinion of booze at MK:
. . . Yipes
. . . Yuck
. . . Blech
. . . Wrong

2) Sure, there are lots of people who want to drink.
3) But, there are so many other places this can be done.
4) They say Walt is not spinning in his grave.
5) Yet, some are now referring to him as "Pinwheel Walt".
Personally I don't think you can say how Walt would feel because he's not alive today and as far as I know you were friends with Walt. There already is alcohol at MK in Be Our Guest so expanding it to other table service restaurants probably isn't the worst thing they could do. I just don't want them to have beer carts in MK.

While you are seemingly stuck on Disney World making more money, what would Walt have done in this situation? He was a businessman and he wanted to make money.

As others have said, it's a vacation for many. A vacation away from work and responsibilities. So, if a drink is wanted, then a drink should be available. And, I hate to tell you, there have been drunken people at Magic Kingdom in the past. Do a monorail drinking tour, take in a water bottle that doesn't have water in it (read a trip report about that one).

My husband and I are in our mid 50s. Why shouldn't we be able to go to any park at Disney World and have a drink?

Yes he was. He was a businessman who loved to make money - but guess what? He also didn't want alcohol in the parks, because he didn't think they belonged inside a family theme park. Which by the way is public knowledge because it was the source of disputes back in the day. So... not sure what your point is.

And yes, I'm sure there are idiots that sneak alcohol inside the world - which is beyond pathetic.

Personally I don't think you can say how Walt would feel because he's not alive today and as far as I know you were friends with Walt. There already is alcohol at MK in Be Our Guest so expanding it to other table service restaurants probably isn't the worst thing they could do. I just don't want them to have beer carts in MK.
I know for certain that there are many tourists from other countries that are horrified that they were not able to have a glass of whine or a beer with dinner prior to BOG....its not the cultural stigma that it sometimes is here. I think because we may be the worlds capitol when it comes to "binge drinking"

As long as it's just alcohol with table service meals, I don't really mind this. It's not much different from hollywood studios and I think that works out well.

If it becomes like epcot with bar crawls and hub kiosks selling drinks then I disapprove.

Agree with this.
I don't drink at all. But I can appreciate that a lot of people might enjoy a cocktail or a glass of wine with a nice meal. I don't object to it being in the table-service restaurants at all. But I would have a problem with it if it were available in kiosks or even quick service places where people would just be able to go up and get a bunch of booze and walk all over the park with it. I really have started to hate being around EPCOT on F&W festival evenings with the amount of people there just getting sloshed. I don't want to see that kind of behavior spreading all over the place at Disney.

I am ecstatic. There have been a few times like at Tony's and Skipper's where I wished we could have a nice glass of wine. I agree that these are the appropriate venues for such a thing and under no circumstances should people get tanked or walk around MK with booze. I don't know why it's accepted at Epcot, I guess because it always has been so that's just the way it is

I agree.

I had 3 drinks at Epcot, over the course of 2 days. They ran me $8-$10 dollars each. Ouch.

Drinking around the World? Be ready to plunk down $100 or more.

Not a drinker so you would think a few drinks would do me in. I bought the sampler voucher at F&W and was determined to buy only mixed drinks to get my money's worth.

I ended up having (poor me) to down 5 drinks on my last evening there and felt nary even a buzz. As little alcohol as was in those drinks, I cannot imagine the drinking budget I would need to get plastered.

I'm genuinely curious, how did you know the people you saw at Epcot were drunk?

Well when they can barely walk straight, they have that glazed look in their eye, they're in that obnoxious loud, rude state (which granted lots of people can be in sober) and when they cut in front of your children and try to excuse themselves, their breath is strong enough to sterilize a hospital ward... it becomes rather obvious. That said, drunk people are typically pretty easy to pick out.

Yes he was. He was a businessman who loved to make money - but guess what? He also didn't want alcohol in the parks, because he didn't think they belonged inside a family theme park. Which by the way is public knowledge because it was the source of disputes back in the day. So... not sure what your point is.

And yes, I'm sure there are idiots that sneak alcohol inside the world - which is beyond pathetic.
you never snuck alcohol in anywhere???

Well when they can barely walk straight, they have that glazed look in their eye, they're in that obnoxious loud, rude state (which granted lots of people can be in sober) and when they cut in front of your children and try to excuse themselves, their breath is strong enough to sterilize a hospital ward... it becomes rather obvious. That said, drunk people are typically pretty easy to pick out.
ahhhhh maybe its me, but spotting drunk person is about as easy as spotting the sky

I, for one, cannot imagine how anyone gets drunk at Disney anyway. The drinks are so expensive and have so little alcohol in them. I can't really picture this being a very big problem.

Trick is to drink on Disney property but not stuff sold at Disney ;) Ok so that's not IN the parks, just by the pool at our resort. My husband LOVES his beer on vacation, but even he will only have ONE beer if we are at a park that serves it, due to the cost. He is like a child at Christmas when we hit Publix and he can get 24 case if beer for $18...that would cost him $50 here!

We are talking about beer and wine not hard liquor. Even if it was hard liquor so be it. For what ever reason only our culture is so obsessed with alcohol consumption while the rest of the world (especially Europe) sees beer and wine as a integral part of the dinning experience. I mean look at the fact that Prince George often is seen in the garden of a local pub with his nanny because that is very common for kids in the UK. Here people throw fits when kids are in a bar even if it is a restaurant that also serves food. It seem to be that here we automatically equate alcohol with drunkenness even though it isn't the case most of the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter