• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

More Food Questions

ExpatDisneyLover

DIS Veteran
Ok - everything is booked! :goodvibes I am staying at the Disneyland Hotel August 25-28th! :woohoo:

I plan on enjoying a wonderful breakfast at my hotel (Walt's Cafe). I also want to have high tea at least once at the Grand Salon. Has anyone done this before?

So now I am thinking I will need only light eats at the park. What are your suggestions and recommendations? What do I need to make sure that I try? (like dole whips at WDW or jalapeno cheese stuffed pretzels at AK) Which are the best counter service restaurants? Are the quick service meal deal coupons on the web site good value? How about set meals? In Disneyland Paris I thought the table service meals - especially buffets were much better than counter service options - so I nixed the quick service options after my first trip and went with a buffet late in the day. What about HK Disneyland? Guess I am looking for the best eats! Any help is appreciated - I am feeling quite clueless!

Thanks Everybody!!

We didn't really do any table service meals in the park. The Plaza Inn gets good reviews. We generally ate at the hotel for breakfast and dinner, and just ate snacks and a QS lunch in the park.

I enjoyed the curry I got from the Royal Banquet Hall. They had a huge variety to choose from, but the western style food didn't seem to be very good (DH ordered a steak I think). We also ate at Clopin's one day, and enjoyed another Asian style meal.

Lucky Nugget Saloon (Grizzly Gulch) had pretty good fish and chips. We both enjoyed the break from Asian style food there.

We did also eat at River View Cafe, but weren't that impressed.

As for snacks and light meals, we tried the pizza cones available in Toy Story Land. I wasn't a fan. It was too saucy and cheesy for my liking. There were some hot dog sort of things that we got at the bakery, which neither of us really liked, however they did have some pretty yummy desserts. I enjoyed the chocolate mousse (with like a marshmallow layer at the bottom), and the chocolate chestnut cheesecake. They've probably changed since then though, that was a few years ago now!

The one thing that I will definitely be getting at LEAST once a day whenever we visit is the Minnie ice-cream bar :rolleyes1 So good! It's mango and strawberry flavoured super creamy ice-cream, with a layer of chocolate just on the back. It's my favourite snack out of all the Disney parks I've visited - I wish they all had them!

There are some um... rather unique snacking options available if you're interested. Fish balls anyone? How about a blackcurrant jelly ice-cream?

We didn't really do any table service meals in the park. The Plaza Inn gets good reviews. We generally ate at the hotel for breakfast and dinner, and just ate snacks and a QS lunch in the park.

I enjoyed the curry I got from the Royal Banquet Hall. They had a huge variety to choose from, but the western style food didn't seem to be very good (DH ordered a steak I think). We also ate at Clopin's one day, and enjoyed another Asian style meal.

Lucky Nugget Saloon (Grizzly Gulch) had pretty good fish and chips. We both enjoyed the break from Asian style food there.

We did also eat at River View Cafe, but weren't that impressed.

As for snacks and light meals, we tried the pizza cones available in Toy Story Land. I wasn't a fan. It was too saucy and cheesy for my liking. There were some hot dog sort of things that we got at the bakery, which neither of us really liked, however they did have some pretty yummy desserts. I enjoyed the chocolate mousse (with like a marshmallow layer at the bottom), and the chocolate chestnut cheesecake. They've probably changed since then though, that was a few years ago now!

The one thing that I will definitely be getting at LEAST once a day whenever we visit is the Minnie ice-cream bar :rolleyes1 So good! It's mango and strawberry flavoured super creamy ice-cream, with a layer of chocolate just on the back. It's my favourite snack out of all the Disney parks I've visited - I wish they all had them!

There are some um... rather unique snacking options available if you're interested. Fish balls anyone? How about a blackcurrant jelly ice-cream?

Thanks for the reply. I'm really glad to hear about the Minnie ice cream bar - that sounds fab! :goodvibes May be I'll look for the fish and chips option - I do eat a lot of Chinese here in Beijing - it will be nice to have something I haven't had in awhile and a good curry is always a happy thing in my book.

A definite no on the fish balls though - just not my thing I think- LOL!

I found the food pretty lacking at HKDL to be honest!

I had the vegetarian skewers at the Royal Banquet Hall for lunch, they were pretty average and not particularly filling. For dinner we ended up heading back to our hotel in HK.

The next day we were just there for dinner and had the special dinner at the Plaza Inn. It was part of the Star Fireworks package, I think it only runs for a couple months a year. The food was tasty but not worth the high price.

I think the only other food I had there was a Mickey waffle. You can't really go wrong with one of those!

The food was definitely better at the resorts than in the park.

If you are there and can fit it in, the Dim Sum at Crystal Lotus was worth spending the money. They have special Disney themed dim sums that look fantastic and so cute.

My parents did enjoy the High Tea at the Grand Salon. They thought it was a little on the pricey side; but they enjoyed sitting there eating and listening to the music.

I found the food pretty lacking at HKDL to be honest!

I had the vegetarian skewers at the Royal Banquet Hall for lunch, they were pretty average and not particularly filling. For dinner we ended up heading back to our hotel in HK.

The next day we were just there for dinner and had the special dinner at the Plaza Inn. It was part of the Star Fireworks package, I think it only runs for a couple months a year. The food was tasty but not worth the high price.

I think the only other food I had there was a Mickey waffle. You can't really go wrong with one of those!

The food was definitely better at the resorts than in the park.

If you are there and can fit it in, the Dim Sum at Crystal Lotus was worth spending the money. They have special Disney themed dim sums that look fantastic and so cute.

My parents did enjoy the High Tea at the Grand Salon. They thought it was a little on the pricey side; but they enjoyed sitting there eating and listening to the music.

Hmmmm - I may eat more at the resorts than at the park. Glad to know there are waffles though. :) I do want to try the tea - but I love the ambiance and listening to the music will be right up my alley. princess:princess:

Thanks for the replies!

:surfweb::surfweb:

I forgot to mention the high tea.

We didn't actually do the high tea. It was on my list of things to do but somehow we never got around to it.

We did very much enjoy relaxing in that general lobby area though, especially when the band or pianist were playing, or the princesses were doing their greetings. If you did decide that a whole high tea is too expensive or over the top, you can order drinks and have them in the lobby.

I love the food at HKDL, especially at the resorts. I love both the Chef Mickey Restaurant and Enchanted Garden. I also love the egg tarts from the Bakery on Main Street USA (but if you're coming from Beijing they may be the norm) they have the flaky crust :) I also indulged in the caramel popcorn on numerous occasions, its just delicious. The Crystal Lotus at the HKDL Hotel is very good, and the view is just surreal overlooking the maze and water. I think HKDL has great food but I am open to both Asian and Western foods, if you only have one of these preferences than you might not agree.

I forgot to mention the high tea.

We didn't actually do the high tea. It was on my list of things to do but somehow we never got around to it.

We did very much enjoy relaxing in that general lobby area though, especially when the band or pianist were playing, or the princesses were doing their greetings. If you did decide that a whole high tea is too expensive or over the top, you can order drinks and have them in the lobby.

I was in Orlando for several months and I often went to the Grand Floridian to sit in the lobby and listen to the band - :cloud9: - will definitely do this at HKDL!

I love the food at HKDL, especially at the resorts. I love both the Chef Mickey Restaurant and Enchanted Garden. I also love the egg tarts from the Bakery on Main Street USA (but if you're coming from Beijing they may be the norm) they have the flaky crust :) I also indulged in the caramel popcorn on numerous occasions, its just delicious. The Crystal Lotus at the HKDL Hotel is very good, and the view is just surreal overlooking the maze and water. I think HKDL has great food but I am open to both Asian and Western foods, if you only have one of these preferences than you might not agree.

Hmmm - yes I do love the egg tarts here in Beijing - they are everywhere but I have my favorite places. I am pondering the Crystal Lotus for dim sum - but maybe they don't do this on weekdaysn :-)confused3). I like Asian and Western but of course I am living in China so get my fill of some very good Asian so I don't know what will appeal to me at HKDL. I think I might go for some of the Indian dishes - or even Korean ones at HKDL - we shall see. Ah so much food - so little time! :goodvibes

Hmmm - yes I do love the egg tarts here in Beijing - they are everywhere but I have my favorite places. I am pondering the Crystal Lotus for dim sum - but maybe they don't do this on weekdaysn :-)confused3). I like Asian and Western but of course I am living in China so get my fill of some very good Asian so I don't know what will appeal to me at HKDL. I think I might go for some of the Indian dishes - or even Korean ones at HKDL - we shall see. Ah so much food - so little time! :goodvibes

At the Enchanted Garden Buffet, I really enjoyed the indian, my husband liked it so much he complemented the chef and we returned a couple more nights of our stay for this reason. I also liked the hand made pasta, they will cook it for you the way you like best, very nice!

We had the dim sum at The Crystal Lotus once, it was a hit with the kids but I felt so bad to eat all the cute little creations!

If you have time, call up the HKDL number and see if they can offer anything about the special Dim Sum at Crystal Lotus during weekdays. I think when I went in 2012, they did have a special for guests staying on-site. But they needed to book in for the special meal (and I don't think they could order A La Carte).

The Chinese food at the HKDL park was rather bland for my taste buds. I thought they were catering for the Shanghai tastes. But then I was born in South East Asia; so I definitely need spice in my food.

If you haven't done so, I would recommend booking in for the Enchanted Garden buffet for one of your mornings. The food range there was pretty decent.

At the Enchanted Garden Buffet, I really enjoyed the indian, my husband liked it so much he complemented the chef and we returned a couple more nights of our stay for this reason. I also liked the hand made pasta, they will cook it for you the way you like best, very nice!

We had the dim sum at The Crystal Lotus once, it was a hit with the kids but I felt so bad to eat all the cute little creations!

Now I am really looking forward to the Indian food! :goodvibes

If you have time, call up the HKDL number and see if they can offer anything about the special Dim Sum at Crystal Lotus during weekdays. I think when I went in 2012, they did have a special for guests staying on-site. But they needed to book in for the special meal (and I don't think they could order A La Carte).

The Chinese food at the HKDL park was rather bland for my taste buds. I thought they were catering for the Shanghai tastes. But then I was born in South East Asia; so I definitely need spice in my food.

If you haven't done so, I would recommend booking in for the Enchanted Garden buffet for one of your mornings. The food range there was pretty decent.

Thanks - I definitely was impressed with the pics of the Enchanted Garden buffet - pixiedust: - and I think I like a little spice in my food too - I may stick to the resorts for my main meals.

We were there last week and a bit disappointed at the food in the parks - My husband kept muttering that it was typcial Disney food and i really wanted him to be wrong, but we didn't have anything outstanding. We only ate at the parks though. I'm going to post some photos, including food ones later tonight.

Hope the weather is a bit cooler for you at end of August! :thumbsup2

We were there last week and a bit disappointed at the food in the parks - My husband kept muttering that it was typcial Disney food and i really wanted him to be wrong, but we didn't have anything outstanding. We only ate at the parks though. I'm going to post some photos, including food ones later tonight.

Hope the weather is a bit cooler for you at end of August! :thumbsup2

Hmmm - that seems to be a recurring theme on the food front. Thanks for posting some pics! :goodvibes It's great to hear about people's trips! There isn't very much information about HKDL out there.

I do fear that the weather will be unbearable hot - :crazy2: - how did you cope? I am going to look for a chilly towel of some sort before I go.

Chilly towel sounds like a good idea!

We took wet facewashers from our hotel, we bought heaps of water with us and we even had an umbrella we used for shade. There are some rides which queue in air conditioned comfort which is a nice break. There are some cool off misting spots, although they didn't seem as effective as they could be.

Just be prepared to take it slow in the afternoon and drink lot's of water :goodvibes

Chilly towel sounds like a good idea!

We took wet facewashers from our hotel, we bought heaps of water with us and we even had an umbrella we used for shade. There are some rides which queue in air conditioned comfort which is a nice break. There are some cool off misting spots, although they didn't seem as effective as they could be.

Just be prepared to take it slow in the afternoon and drink lot's of water :goodvibes

I have a feeling I may be spending some time in my hotel room in the afternoons - :cloud9: - glad to know there are some air conditioned queues - definitely getting that chilly towel:goodvibes:!

Hi. I'm another who finds the food at HKDL just unacceptable really, considering how good food in HK is in general. They should just open the entire resort up to local restaurants and let them get the Asian food up to snuff.

A few things I liked at the hotels:

Enchanted Garden for dinner was good, not great, but we'd eat there again. That says something about the food in general, I think.

Crystal Lotus is quite good, even if you don't get dim sum.

I thought the Chef Mickey's breakfast at the Hollywood Hotel was fine. My husband wasn't impressed.

In the park:
The chicken at the Grizzly Gulch quick service is good.
Any desserts or sweets, waffles, chocolate mousse, etc is good. There's a good bakery on Main Street. There is also a little cafe at the end of Main Street that I believe is sponsored by Coke? We had a Halloween themed high tea for two there that was very good. The other food looked good too. I'd eat there again for lunch while in the park.

We bought cookies and candies in decorative tins because we wanted the tins. Cookies were bland. Not a big deal as we like the tins. Good souvenirs at HKDL.

Dealing with the heat... we went once in July. We had endured really high heat a few days prior at Ocean Park. I walked around all day with a wet towel on my head. I felt a little ridiculous but other people were doing this too, and it helped tremendously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter