More Questions?????

DVC4US

DVC Member Since 1998
I just have a few questions. I know I have probably seen the answers on other treads, but I just can't find them now. I will apoligize up front for any repeats.:)

1. Are Grand Cayman and Cozumel cash only (or traveler's checks) islands. I thought I read somewhere that they do not do credit cards. Just trying to figure out how much money we need to take.

2. I know I read somewhere that if you go over your allowances you have to pay the duty before you get off the ship. I also read that they do not take credit cards and it can not be billed to your ship account. Does anyone know if you can write a personal check for this or does it have to be cash?

Thanks to anyone that can answer these for me. This time next week VWL and then we are cruising!!!:jester:

LeiLani

I have used my credit card in Cozumel on past cruises. I would think you could also use it in Grand Cayman. I haven't been to a port yet where they didn't take charge cards but there may ports that don't take them.

I don't know the answer to the Traveler Checks question.

For paying duty. Yes, you pay duty if you go over the allotted amount for your family. This is done on the ship to a US customs official. The duty is only on the overage amount. Cash is accepted for payment and I thought I read they do accept personnel checks. There is a custom web site out there that explains it all. It even explains how to declare items you own before you leave the country if you want to do that. You know, I thought Dave's DCL Tribute site had the link. Kathy

I don't recall whether I've used a Credit Card in either of those ports, but it would be surprising to me if you couldn't use one in shops or restaurants. Street vendors are a different story.

Regarding duty, yes you will have to pay if you exceed your exemption. Anyone who has exceeded their exemption must report to US Customs early on the morning of debarkation. Payments can be made as follows (according to the US Customs Website:

• U.S. currency (foreign currency is not acceptable).
  • Personal check in the exact amount, drawn on a U.S. bank, made payable to the U.S. Customs Service. You must present identification, such as a passport or driver's license. (The Customs Service does not accept checks bearing second-party endorsements.)
  • Government check, money order, or traveler's check if it does not exceed the duty owed by more than $50.
  • In some locations, you may pay duty with credit cards, either MasterCard or VISA.

I don't believe they take credit cards on cruise ships.

Thanks Kathy. I will check Dave's site again and see what I can find out. I have been to so many different sites lately and I try to keep track, but with all the excitement about the trip and trying to get everything done I can't remember what I did 15 min. ago.LOL We are looking forward to meeting everyone next Saturday. I really need to get my DH out of here and on a vacation. He hasn't been home before 11pm in 2 weeks. He works to hard sometimes.(But that's the reason we get to go on the lovely trip:cool: )

Grand Cayman and Cozumel with both take credit cards and US dollars. If you ar using US dollars they will figure out the exchange rate for you.
Wow, you must be expecting to spend a lot to be asking about paying duty on a customs overage. Remember the allowance is per person and if you travelling with your family you add up all the members of your party's allowance and that is how much you are allowed. Some of the items you buy in the ports and on the ship are duty free but you have to declare them on your customs form.
I bought 3 pieces of jewelry and lots of other stuff on my last cruise and did not have to pay duty.
Have a great time!!
:earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter